Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Hoka Hey

Send a message via AIM to nave560
Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Speaker/Door rattle

I tend to play the music in my car freely. And by freely I mean about the same volume as a rock concert. Anyways, when I regain my hearing, I can hear a slight rattle in the HK speakers even on a low volume. It happens more frequently with different songs that have different bass and treble. The sound is only coming from the passenger and driver side doors. Is there a way to fix this or do I have something inside the doors?!
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
My car has been looked at for this problem 5 times. The problem has only gotten worse. I think the only solution is a can of gas and a match!
Old 03-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Alex

Send a message via AIM to AlexE46
Mein Auto: 328 Ci 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave560
I tend to play the music in my car freely. And by freely I mean about the same volume as a rock concert. Anyways, when I regain my hearing, I can hear a slight rattle in the HK speakers even on a low volume. It happens more frequently with different songs that have different bass and treble. The sound is only coming from the passenger and driver side doors. Is there a way to fix this or do I have something inside the doors?!
This happend to me, but the noise was coming from just the driver side door, when i took it in i told them to look at my speaker and sure enough it was blown out. Which was not cheap at all to replace
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 AM
ELmO

Send a message via AIM to elmalloc Send a message via MSN to elmalloc Send a message via Yahoo to elmalloc
Mein Auto: 05 330 CIC
sounds liek there are some piece of **** spekers in bmw, paired dwith an amp taht is too powerful.

I plan to replace my stereo, even though people say it's impossible and i've goten no help from my forum post, i will get my convertible navigation system equipped car to have a good stereo with a real subwoofer.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Angie

Mein Auto: 2004 bmw 325Ci convertib
Quote:
Originally Posted by nave560
I don'thave HK, but have had problems with my passenger door speakers.....rattling, buzzing...They have replaced the loud speaker twice, and the tweeter once...I have brought it back 4 times.........today, they finally just decided to order a brand new door panel after many failed attempts to fix it.......Keep taking it back, if they can't fix it, you get a new door panel!
Old 02-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Acura Integra & 330ci
Guys, I brought mine in for the same issue, what they did was get a different amp for the speakers....the ones in the car were driving the speakers to rattle.
The figured this out after a few trial and error runs, with the speaker outside of the car the speaker still rattled.

Mine sounds great now.

This was done at Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo
Old 02-17-2006, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: OB/NB 2003 330Ci/SP/PP/X
Quote:
Guys, I brought mine in for the same issue, what they did was get a different amp for the speakers....the ones in the car were driving the speakers to rattle.
The figured this out after a few trial and error runs, with the speaker outside of the car the speaker still rattled.
A new amp? Could that be the cause of my repeated front speaker buzz/rattles? Please explain--I don't see how an amp could create a buzz except by being too powerful. But then, I'm no audiophile.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS
A new amp? Could that be the cause of my repeated front speaker buzz/rattles? Please explain--I don't see how an amp could create a buzz except by being too powerful. But then, I'm no audiophile.
My problem were the door speakers rattling, and yes the amp in my car was too powerful so they replaced with a new one which wasn't as powerful. The rattles are gone and the system finally sounds like something from a $40,000 car!
I can blast my stereo and it sounds good now.

I can scan the work order from the dealer so you guys can show your dealer, the part numbers and all that good stuff are in there so no guess work would be needed.
Old 02-18-2006, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: OB/NB 2003 330Ci/SP/PP/X
Quote:
I can scan the work order from the dealer so you guys can show your dealer, the part numbers and all that good stuff are in there so no guess work would be needed.
Yes, please. Was it a warranty repair?
Old 02-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS
Thanks, I would like to see the work order. Were both of your door speakers having the same issue? Mine is only the pass. door, but it is obviously the door grill (loud speaker) that is causing the rattle, because when they push on it it stops, and they have replaced the loud speaker twice, and the tweeter once... The other door is fine. I suppose I will let them put on the new door panel that is on order, and if it still is an issue, will give them the info. about the amp....Seems like a less expensive fix to put a new amp in, I am sure a new door panel is costly. My tech. says he searched bul. and found nothing about this issue. You don't have HK is that right? Yes, send the work order with part numbers, that would be great! Question, why would the OEM amp be to great for the car? You are getting better sound out of a lower amp? Thanks again!
Angie

Last edited by ang; 02-20-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Guys, check out www.crutchfield.com if you're planning on getting new speakers/amp/receiver/auto anything. They will find something that fits your make/model and have excellent customer support to assist you with any problems you might have. Each order comes with detailed installation instructions, or you can just take it to someone for an install. Just a bit of info if anyones considering to purchase.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I have the same problem on driver door and temporary fix this by turning bass level down... funny in Australia we drive on the right and it comes from driver side... so BMW actually fits s...it speaker on rhs for rhs countries.... bastard
Old 02-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTex
Guys, check out www.crutchfield.com if you're planning on getting new speakers/amp/receiver/auto anything. They will find something that fits your make/model and have excellent customer support to assist you with any problems you might have. Each order comes with detailed installation instructions, or you can just take it to someone for an install. Just a bit of info if anyones considering to purchase.
thanks.....i am still under warranty, so hopefully they will fix it correctly, or continue to try until it gets done correctly......
Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM

Sorry for the late respons guys but been busy trying to buy a new E90!!!
I'll scan the workorder tonight for sure.
I do have a Harmon Kardon system, and my passenger door speakers seemed to be the only ones giving me the rattling noise.
The techs at my shop tried the fix listed in the bulletin using some vibration resistant tape but it still sounded the same, that's when they went a differnt route and put in an amp which fixed the problem.
I guess the OEM amp drives the door speakers too much? Nonetheless my system now sounds sweet for a stock setup.
This was a warranty repair they did.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurribaggio
Sorry for the late respons guys but been busy trying to buy a new E90!!!
I'll scan the workorder tonight for sure.
I do have a Harmon Kardon system, and my passenger door speakers seemed to be the only ones giving me the rattling noise.
The techs at my shop tried the fix listed in the bulletin using some vibration resistant tape but it still sounded the same, that's when they went a differnt route and put in an amp which fixed the problem.
I guess the OEM amp drives the door speakers too much? Nonetheless my system now sounds sweet for a stock setup.
This was a warranty repair they did.
sound great....thanks for the info.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:56 AM

Here we go...hope this helps everyone! Sorry for the late reply
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0001.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	69103   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	69104  
Old 02-23-2006, 04:12 PM
Angie

Quote:
Originally Posted by azurribaggio
Here we go...hope this helps everyone! Sorry for the late reply
Thank you so much for taking the time to do that!!