Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 991 Carrera
Goodbye M3

Today I traded my M3 away. It's been a great 2 1/2 years but my needs changed and it had to go. I learned a lot owning it. I think it made me a better driver, drive stupid in a M3, you wind up in a ditch. I will miss the power, the excellent balance of handling/ride, and the engine that sounds like God's own chorus. But I have learned over the years that no car will ever be my "dream" car, I have always moved on when the time came. The M3 was a stretch financially for me, I ran up a lot of miles on it, and despite the CPO warranty and extended maintenance, it's still an expensive beast to own and maintain. Over the last few months, I first went on a new house search, then decided to do some remodelling on my current home instead. Automotive downsizing was in order. I first purchased a 2006 MINI MCS in November, it has become the "sports" car for me. Of course it's not and will never be as fast as a M3, but its handling and giggle factor is in a completely different but also lofty stratosphere. And it's paid for. Today I exchanged the M3 for a 2006 Audi A3. I'm sure many of you are groaning, but I've had good luck with previous Audi's, and the size and utility of this car will serve me well. It has enough room when the MINI isn't big enough, adequate luxury/performance, and most importantly, a price tag way south of the M3. I once had a car salesman ask me if my new car was the "one" that I would keep and cherish forever. I could only chuckle and say probably not. Lots of cool things on the horizon, and once my home improvement budget has been taken care of, there might be other cars in the future, hell I know there will be.
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2006, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i M-Sport EB
Sorry to see it gone. I am sure you will miss it.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 AM
MotorCityMadman

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
How do you like the MINI? Pretty sweet cars, eh?
Old 01-30-2006, 08:42 AM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep in touch buddy
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX
Well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Keep in touch buddy
Well I hope I can still come to the next Fester's Houston gettogether in the MINI.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:05 PM
Praetorian

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbscott
Today I traded my M3 away. It's been a great 2 1/2 years but my needs changed and it had to go. I learned a lot owning it. I think it made me a better driver, drive stupid in a M3, you wind up in a ditch. I will miss the power, the excellent balance of handling/ride, and the engine that sounds like God's own chorus. But I have learned over the years that no car will ever be my "dream" car, I have always moved on when the time came. The M3 was a stretch financially for me, I ran up a lot of miles on it, and despite the CPO warranty and extended maintenance, it's still an expensive beast to own and maintain. Over the last few months, I first went on a new house search, then decided to do some remodelling on my current home instead. Automotive downsizing was in order. I first purchased a 2006 MINI MCS in November, it has become the "sports" car for me. Of course it's not and will never be as fast as a M3, but its handling and giggle factor is in a completely different but also lofty stratosphere. And it's paid for. Today I exchanged the M3 for a 2006 Audi A3. I'm sure many of you are groaning, but I've had good luck with previous Audi's, and the size and utility of this car will serve me well. It has enough room when the MINI isn't big enough, adequate luxury/performance, and most importantly, a price tag way south of the M3. I once had a car salesman ask me if my new car was the "one" that I would keep and cherish forever. I could only chuckle and say probably not. Lots of cool things on the horizon, and once my home improvement budget has been taken care of, there might be other cars in the future, hell I know there will be.
I can REALLY relate to what you're saying here. I sold my M3 for all the "right reasons" and I love my STI for so many reasons but not ONE day has gone by that I haven't missed the M3. I will eventually replace my STI with either an E92 M3 or a Carrera of somekind and it's not because I'm not satisfied with the STI, it's just because.
Old 02-04-2006, 08:57 PM
01 M Coupe - Silver

Send a message via AIM to TrackLine
Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Interesting that you just made the transition from M3 to A3. I am currently torn between a new A3 or a used M3. I am leaning strongly towards M3 mainly because the A3 quattro doesn't come in a manual. Most will laugh but I find it strange the atraction that I have to these two cars, they are both so different.... Good Luck with the Audi! Did you opt for the $1500 "open sky" roof?
Old 02-06-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackLine
Interesting that you just made the transition from M3 to A3. I am currently torn between a new A3 or a used M3. I am leaning strongly towards M3 mainly because the A3 quattro doesn't come in a manual. Most will laugh but I find it strange the atraction that I have to these two cars, they are both so different.... Good Luck with the Audi! Did you opt for the $1500 "open sky" roof?
The Open Sky was on my car, it's only $1100. Unless you order a car, pretty much 95% of US bound cars will have it already. I suggest you drive both a 2.0T with manual, and a 3.2 Quattro with DSG. I think you will be surprised how similar the performance is and how transparent the quattro is. Way too much price difference to me. The 2.0T/manual/quattro will not be sold in the US so don't hold your breath for that combo.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 E46
its nice to see someone else on the board who's evolving both in taste and in mindset.

I am sure the mini and a3 will serve you well. Both are premium automobiles. Neither are problem free but at least they wont cost you an arm and leg that the m3 does (or did).

The M3 is a nice car but i see myself in a different car within 3 years time.

I really groan when i read about guys on the forums working two jobs trying to support their m3 payments and in a separate thread, boasting about the mods they do/wanna do... etc... its really warped how some people pursue a dream or put their hopes in material things... yeah, the groaning ends here

It was nice to read your post. good luck dude