Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2006, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 04 545i Sport, NAV, AS
01 BMW 540i or 740i, help?!

Hey guys, I own 01 Lexus GS430 now. It is a nice reliable car, but as it was described by many, it is a very nice luxury car and it is very fast, but it is numb when it comes to the feel of it as you drive. I owned 2000 e46 323i and I loved it, as I also owned another Lexus, 3 Acuras, and 2 Maximas. It was not nearly as fast but it was a drivers car and I always wanted to drive it and push it as far as I could. So I decided to get back into a Bimmer. I always thought that 740i sport pkg was one of the nicest looking big car on the road, the lines on it and just the built quality and look of it it was so agressive and had so much character. But I was not able to afford it before. When the 540i Sport pkg came out, and up to this date, I still think it is the best looking, most aggressive looking bimmer ever made. I had a chance to drive it a few times, and I fell in love with it then, my friend had one. So these are the two I want to chose from to get next?! My only problem is that, these cars are out of warranty now and the parts are now more expensive since they do not produce those cars no more, so if something breaks it will be arm and leg. My buddy is a BMW mechanic in NYC and told me to always get bimmer that is still made because the parts are still made for cars that are still under warranty and therefore are less expensive. My bimmer had issues with windor regulator, leaking into the cabin due to bad door seals and finally my GM made auto trans went at 95k miles and I almost spend $4k for new one with the install, but we found one on the junk yard from totaled car with 30k miles for $2200 installed, but the resale value of bimmer is so good, that I ended up loosing $2k on the car in two years after I sold it and that is with my loss for the trans (I bought it at dealers auction under wholesale, connections, lol). Anyway, since the 01 740i is the last year they made it, I was woundering how reliable it is and if they perfected all the bugs on it? and how is the 540i? did anyone have any problems with them at all? Need everybodies imput, thank you?