Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: higher mile m3
I am almost to scared to buy this M3

Hello, first post.

story. I am looking to buy this 2002 bmw m3 (options and colors I love) but Ive never owned a bmw's (always lexus or infiniti) so I am worried this and esp. the 2002 (with the rod bearing recall)

questions..

1. How can I tell if the call has been to the dealership for the rod bearing recall? Can I call bmwUSA and give them the VIN to find this out? I am buying the car from a smaller luxo dealer that buys lease returns so I wouldnt believe them that has been fixed or checked out unless I see it on paper or hear it from someone at BMW. The add says "This car is under warranty up to 100K miles on the Engine" Does that mean the rod bearing recall has been already fixed?

2. How does this warranty work? (sorry this is my first time buying a used car with a warrenty)

3. the remaining factory warranty, how can I find out about this? What does that cover? I am not sure with what BWW does with their warrenty program. Does this cover the every 15k mile check up?

4. Any way to check if and when the car has had the every 15k mile check up?

5. thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_INHALE
1. How can I tell if the call has been to the dealership for the rod bearing recall? Can I call bmwUSA and give them the VIN to find this out? I am buying the car from a smaller luxo dealer that buys lease returns so I wouldnt believe them that has been fixed or checked out unless I see it on paper or hear it from someone at BMW. The add says "This car is under warranty up to 100K miles on the Engine" Does that mean the rod bearing recall has been already fixed?
They might do it. Take the VIN to your local dealer and ask them to print out a service history. They might do it. If not just ask if the rod bearing recall was done. They should at least tell you that.

Quote:
2. How does this warranty work? (sorry this is my first time buying a used car with a warrenty)
Anything in the driveline is covered with the 100k mile warranty. Bumper to bumper warranty is only 4 years or 50k miles.

Quote:
3. the remaining factory warranty, how can I find out about this? What does that cover? I am not sure with what BWW does with their warrenty program. Does this cover the every 15k mile check up?
See answer to number 2. 15k miles checkups are only covered for 3 years/36k miles unless somebody paid to extend it. If they did the seller would surely advertise it as such.

Quote:
4. Any way to check if and when the car has had the every 15k mile check up?
Ask for records of service. If they don't have don't assume anything.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:27 PM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
Anything in the driveline is covered with the 100k mile warranty. Bumper to bumper warranty is only 4 years or 50k miles.
AFAIK only "lubricated" engine parts are covered.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
I thouhgt it was drivetrain? You have one, I don't...I defer to you. ;-)
Old 03-15-2006, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 94 alpina b3 96 alpina b8
being that its a 2002 im sure its had the recall done . first off any guy that owned a m3 would go get it done cause it was free and if they didnt get it done the way m3's are driven the motor would already blown up so i wouldnt be worried . i have a 97 m3 and its a great car buy the 02 and enjoy its a rush . p.s. be careful once u own it lol it will own u . u will want to do upgrades and more upgrades but trust me its fun . good luck with it and i hope u buy it
Old 03-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint166
being that its a 2002 im sure its had the recall done . first off any guy that owned a m3 would go get it done cause it was free and if they didnt get it done the way m3's are driven the motor would already blown up so i wouldnt be worried . i have a 97 m3 and its a great car buy the 02 and enjoy its a rush . p.s. be careful once u own it lol it will own u . u will want to do upgrades and more upgrades but trust me its fun . good luck with it and i hope u buy it
LOL I did my taxes and I got some back (Yes I know it was my money to began with but) I am going to buy it tommorrow.

As long as he gives me a decent buck for my current car then its a deal.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 94 alpina b3 96 alpina b8
omg u will love it lol . u wont be able to even sleep tonight lol . let me know how things turned out and who u first raced lol .
Old 03-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint166
omg u will love it lol . u wont be able to even sleep tonight lol . let me know how things turned out and who u first raced lol .

hehe f*ck it. who cares. I just dont want it too break down on me. Ive owned all japanese cars so repairs dont even cross my mind.

I already have the blank check ready to go from my finance company and alreay done the insurance quote. So I am both good there.

You guys may not agree with me here, but my first choice of car was the new saleen mustang convertible.(450 HP) they are so $ and very few out there, so I went with the next best thing (maybe even better ///m3)

I have no wife kids or GF to ask for premission and being in my early 20s with an m3 vert better be as fun as I think it will be
Old 03-15-2006, 06:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540-6spd 10/02 build
Quote:
You guys may not agree with me here, but my first choice of car was the new saleen mustang convertible.(450 HP) they are so $ and very few out there, so I went with the next best thing (maybe even better ///m3)
Bottom line a Saleen is a Mustang with bolt on after market pieces. It's still a Ford with Ford quality serviced by Ford dealers built on a Ford chassis. Don't get me wrong, I have more money in my '05 F250 4x4 CC turbo diesel with a Banks 6 Gun, lift tires and wheels than I have in my 330i. The Ford is good....but it's no BMW

An M3 is a BMW, you will not go wrong with the BMW. Every piece is engineered to work in unison providing you with the ultimate driving experience.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipster
Bottom line a Saleen is a Mustang with bolt on after market pieces. It's still a Ford with Ford quality serviced by Ford dealers built on a Ford chassis. Don't get me wrong, I have more money in my '05 F250 4x4 CC turbo diesel with a Banks 6 Gun, lift tires and wheels than I have in my 330i. The Ford is good....but it's no BMW

An M3 is a BMW, you will not go wrong with the BMW. Every piece is engineered to work in unison providing you with the ultimate driving experience.

Damn you are one those guys with the 50k trucks

I am not here to argue the saleen vs the m3 and I am not here to justify the Saleen because I am going to get the m3. BUT BUT the Saleen : vert is a bitchin' ride with so much torque I dont know what to do with myself. It is a chic magnet and esp the girls and peeps I am with. whores love stangs

The Saleen exhaust is the prolly the sweetest thing I have ever heard. OMG its like top shelf all the way.

I am purley looking for a fun vert that has 4 seats, with a manual gear box (no roadsters)

A Saleen has more fun factor then a vette hands down. and maybe more fun factor then a m3 (I dunno tho) The vette is old baby boomers and bald guys with beer bellies.

Plus I dont see myself in the future buying the e90 (its looks and the of course the price)

Ive have always wanted an m3 tho. (I would have killed for a 1988 red m3 back in the day)

I will be happy with it
Old 03-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 540-6spd 10/02 build
Quote:
Damn you are one those guys with the 50k trucks

The Saleen exhaust is the prolly the sweetest thing I have ever heard. OMG its like top shelf all the way.

Plus I dont see myself in the future buying the e90 (its looks and the of course the price)

I will be happy with it
Yea my truck became a little too much of a toy. I bought it to pull my toyhauler then the next thing I know it's tires, wheels, lift, Banks, fender flares etc.... it gets the looks

In the mid 90s I dated a girl with a '91 supercharged convertable Saleen. It was a blast to drive. Suspension was a little firm, but ooohhh the power and sound. The motor would just sing.

Funny comment about the 'vette. That too is an oustanding sports car, and for the money probably the best value in the world. Runs with Porsches for $30k less. But, I just can't bring myself to get one! I guess it's flashbacks from my '87 IROC.

I don't have an M3...yet...but you will come to love the BMW. Build and ride quality are the best. I'm on my second one and sitting on the fence regarding buying an M3.

Good luck...the chics will dig the car!
Old 03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 03 325xi
dude your talking chic magnet..its a fricken bimmer girls love them. i have a 95 325is and people are like dude thats hot, you have a bimmer.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: Protege
Call BMWNA....They will tell you if the rod bearing recall was done or not and if there are any open recalls on the car. They will also tell you when the car originally was purchased, when the warranty runs out, etc. They can also tell you all the options that were originally on the car.