Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2006: Santa Barbara, CA
April 8th has come and gone. See the pictures and read the stories of Bimmerfest 2006!

Old 03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by king of trolls
Having just driven in Germany this past week, you are correct, however, in Germany the fast lane is used for passing, thus the fast lane is always clear (unless you hit the big cities were traffic jams are common). It is also illegal to use a cell phone, and no one is allowed to eat or drink while driving, etc.
To top it all off, you need to cough up approximately $3500.00 to get a drivers license, pass a rigourous test and so on. In the US, driver licenses are given away to anyone who can walk. I work for a Japanese company here in the US, and it is absurd how quickly some of our Japanese colleagues get driver licenses (these are people that have never driven a car in Japan). Furthermore, to cruise at 100MPH here in the US you have to weave in and out of traffic. Granted I have been guilty of doing so now in the past, I really can't agree with you that cruising at 100MPH is safe.
Right, because you probably have to weave in and out of traffic like you said because of the left lane hoggers that never check their rear view mirrors for cars approaching from the rear that have no courtesy to drive in the lower lane to let others go Like they created a carpool lane in California and a Bus Lane in some areas, they could create a fast lane just like they ticket busses and trucks for driving in the left lane when they are supposed to keep to the right. People who can't walk can also drive here in America.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 Dakar M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelphx
It wasn't just him. I can think of a white 6 and some others. It was getting too dangerous.

The chances of a attendee organized rally are good (i've already heard plans being made), but it is in no way sanctioned or supported by Bimmerfest.
I've heard the same. Some kinda unoffical deal after the fest ends.
Old 03-11-2006, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliplap
I've heard the same. Some kinda unoffical deal after the fest ends.

Im sure tons of ppl will be doing the road rally even though it wont be offical. Id imagine you just roll out and cruise the 101 up and around like all the other years and you will see tons of BMW's on the drive.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto: 02 530i 5spd manual
about the autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat
Should seperate the rally into the conservative group and the more out going group that way people aren't whining and complaining about others. In Germany driving 100+ MPH is normal on the highway while in California some people may consider you a crazy reckless driver for doing that. Two different points of view from different people who view things differently.
..judging from your input you know very little about driving the autobahn...first of all..it is a very rigorous process to get your drivers lic. in germany...you must prove you can drive safely at speed....2nd..the autobahn was enginered for aircraft landing at high speed
the construction spec is way different than our roads...they even built it so that rain runs off the slight crown in the middle of the road...etc etc....anyway..its NOT the same. and I assure you any fool caught doing donuts in his M3 would be thrown in jail...not just given a ticket. Your attitude about people whinning shows your ignorance and I for one am not going to risk either of my cars around people like you who have no business driving a performance car....or any car for that matter. In my opinion you and the driver of any of those cars should be banned from any organized event in the future.

your sig pic of a baby smoking a joint is just sad
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Retired Slacker

Mein Auto: A car.
No road rally :(

No rally? I'm bummed. Damn kids......
Old 04-03-2006, 07:29 PM
tomas3314

Send a message via Yahoo to tomas3314
Mein Auto: SC 95 M3, 92 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwcat
No rally? I'm bummed. Damn kids......
This sucks...It was one of the primary reasons I was going and have been contemplating staying to attend the Long Beach Grand Prix. I totally agree with you Jon for cancelling it. I was right at the start of the onramp when that IDIOT started doing his thing. Felt like ripping him out of the car and beating his ass. Putting everyone else in danger and of course being so close to crashing with the other cars.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:33 PM
black beast's master

Send a message via AIM to tommiexboi
Mein Auto: e46 2000 328i
yeah.... this is sad and im really sad now ....

i was right there when that guy did that... he was about 50 feet infront of me .... what a douche
Old 04-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Who knows, maybe next year we'll bring the official
Road Rally back? I really hope to, it's one of my
favorite parts of the event. This year the caravans
are so huge that I am going to intercept the NorCal
group in Santa Maria for the last leg of their journey,
the final 60 miles into Santa Barbara...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 04-03-2006, 07:46 PM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
I am going to intercept the NorCal
group in Santa Maria for the last leg of their journey,
the final 60 miles into Santa Barbara...
Old 04-03-2006, 08:04 PM
www.my330i.com

Send a message via AIM to marvelphx
Mein Auto: 2004 330i ESS ZHP
Im not the man to ask, but I am 100% positive something is going to occur that day to make a rally happen... Just wont be a official "Bimmerfest" rally, details on Saturday!!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Original Driving Machine

Mein Auto: 1974 Inka 1802 Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiexboi
yeah.... this is sad and im really sad now ....

i was right there when that guy did that... he was about 50 feet infront of me .... what a douche
I think this says it all ...........:asshole:

The "original" Ultimate Driving Machine
'76 Inka 2002, Original owner, Old Daily Driver
'74 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver