Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M3 w/ Comp Pack
New M3 owner experiencing some break-in trouble

I just took delivery of my new BMW M3 yesterday at the dealership. The 2 month wait was long, but well worth it when I saw my baby in the middle of the lot.

I somehow managed to put 450 miles on it in 2 days The car has been excellent so far except for an intermitten moaning sound from the front wheels of the car at low speeds 0-10 mph. It's definitely not brake noise. Is this noise normal during the break in period? Anybody know what's causing the sound?
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2006, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW M3 w/ Comp Pack
Oh ya, here's a picture of my new baby.

NASA Time Trial TTB Class NorthEast Region

Old 03-20-2006, 04:16 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Have no idea on the noise. But if it bothers you, take it to the dealer and have it checked out. If it isn't too bad, mention it at the 1200 mile service.

We picked ours up on Monday at the Performance Center, first driving at 3PM, and had the 1200 mile service doneon Friday morning at 7AM.

Enjoy.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 03-20-2006, 07:03 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackMastaFlex
The car has been excellent so far except for an intermitten moaning sound from the front wheels of the car at low speeds 0-10 mph. It's definitely not brake noise.
Are you certain? Drilled rotors are known for making noises.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Timmay!

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 Competition
I have an 06 with Comp PKG and my car did the same thing for a while and I am pretty sure it IS brake noise. It will gradually go away as my car does it ever so slightly now at 2100 miles, and I expect that it will be mostly gone in a couple of hundred more miles. These brakes are known for being noticeably noisier than the stock M3 ones. Nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to check with the dealer if you are uncomfortable with it.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 04 X5 3.0i & 2012 Audi A6
You care to elaborate more on the noise? I don't really understand what you mean.

asnPCwiz

2004 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon
2004 3.0 X5 Sterling Grey/Black
2012 Audi A6
Old 03-20-2006, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg97002
I have an 06 with Comp PKG and my car did the same thing for a while and I am pretty sure it IS brake noise. It will gradually go away as my car does it ever so slightly now at 2100 miles, and I expect that it will be mostly gone in a couple of hundred more miles. These brakes are known for being noticeably noisier than the stock M3 ones. Nothing to worry about, but it never hurts to check with the dealer if you are uncomfortable with it.

Yep, totally normal. I have on '06 M3 ZCP, same deal. After you bed-in the brakes the noise will go away. The other fun noises that are also normal; clutch rattle & a 'ticking' lifter noise. Every straight 6 M car I've ever driven has, to some degree, had these characteristics.

Follow the break-in procedure, watch the oil level and you'll be just fine. If the car feels different or pulls to one side during braking, take it in. Otherwise, wait for the 1200 mile service. Sounds like it's next week the way your putting on the miles.

Welcome to the family.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:13 PM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Yep, totally normal. I have on '06 M3 ZCP, same deal. After you bed-in the brakes the noise will go away. The other fun noises that are also normal; clutch rattle & a 'ticking' lifter noise. Every straight 6 M car I've ever driven has, to some degree, had these characteristics.

Follow the break-in procedure, watch the oil level and you'll be just fine. If the car feels different or pulls to one side during braking, take it in. Otherwise, wait for the 1200 mile service. Sounds like it's next week the way your putting on the miles.

Welcome to the family.
Just curious what you mean in regard to ticking lifter noise?

Old 04-04-2006, 10:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 ZCP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades
Just curious what you mean in regard to ticking lifter noise?
Solid lifters = ticking noise from under the hood. Very common, to some degree, in all high performance engines with solid lifter valve trains. Solid lifters help prevent valve train 'float' that can occur in self-adjusting hydraulic lifters at high rpm. Solid lifters are also the reason you need the valve lash adjusted at inspection services. Helpful?
Old 04-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Estoril Blue Black Nappa

Mein Auto: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Solid lifters = ticking noise from under the hood. Very common, to some degree, in all high performance engines with solid lifter valve trains. Solid lifters help prevent valve train 'float' that can occur in self-adjusting hydraulic lifters at high rpm. Solid lifters are also the reason you need the valve lash adjusted at inspection services. Helpful?
Thanks for the clarification.I haven't really noticed this with my engine.All have a good listen today and see if i am able to hear it.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330Cic
It could be noise from the t ires. Sometimes the wide high performance t ires make a lot of noise. I notice this on my 330Cic with 18's at low speeds. If you are coming from a car with "normal" t ires this may seem excessive. Just take it with the increased performance kinda like gear whine in a high performance car.