Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-04-2006, 09:17 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35D, M3 CiC
Harmon Kardon Radio

I ordered my M3 convertible with the Harmon Kardon option. My window sticker says I bought it and my bill of sale says I paid for it. And yet I feel stupid because I don't know if the radio has the extras that I ordered or not. What is the "telltale sign or signs" that I received what I purchased? I appreciate the anticipated help! And yes, I did read the manual which was of no help at all.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2006, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 ZCP
Look for a button with speaker icon next to the DSC button, between the seat heater buttons, in front of the shifter console. Turn on your stereo, press the button. It should light up and sound better.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
I had '03 coupe without, '05 coupe with. The coupe HK system has a chrome logo on the tweets in the doors and also on the rear deck speakers facing out the back window along with two subwoofers in the rear deck, while the normal system does not. The sub box is accessible through the trunk and should read E46/Harmon Kardon or something like that on the underside. Rereading, I typed all this ignoring that you said Cab...I would assume the Cab has similar HK chrome logos on the speakers.

I searched around in here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do but I couldn't find a good answer.

Ah, try this:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...18&hg=65&fg=20

Looks like HK Cab systems have a single sub in the middle?

Last edited by patton03m3; 04-04-2006 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 AM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by patton03m3

Looks like HK Cab systems have a single sub in the middle?
That's correct. I just checked out my dad's 2003 vert with the HK and he has one sub. It's in the location referred to as the the "pass-thru" from the passenger cabin to the trunk. This is used for long items like skis.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:57 AM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: 991 GT3
Didn't the HK come as standard equipment on the vert?
Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 PM
Need a Toyota?

Mein Auto: Prius 5
not on mine, but I have a 325, not an M or 330
Old 04-05-2006, 06:26 PM

On my console in front of the 6 spd shifter are two buttons for the heated seats, two buttons for the raising and lowering of the convertible top, the dsc button and the sport button. No speaker button. On the doors next to the handle is a tweeter with a silver Harmon Kardon logo. In the trunk on the door of the pass through is a speaker; it is very light in weight and it has been my experience that most woofers are usually carrying a several pound magnet which this is not. Where would they put the amplifier (if one is there)? My son's Z4 has it in the trunk near the battery. Surely, there is someone out there who has a 2006 M3 vert with the HK option who could help me? I guess my alternative is to go into the dealership and have them point out the answers to the question. But, you know guys that that would be too easy...
Old 04-05-2006, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
There are three lower buttons, the center one enhances the sound.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0396.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	72502  

Last edited by Maximus57; 04-05-2006 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:41 PM

On my 2006 M3 Cab, there are no buttons below the ones I mentioned earlier. There is the little "drawer" that opens for your glasses or spare change. In my other life in the NAv, we used to say when we met up with an impossible question...WTFO
Old 04-05-2006, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by drharley
On my 2006 M3 Cab, there are no buttons below the ones I mentioned earlier. There is the little "drawer" that opens for your glasses or spare change. In my other life in the NAv, we used to say when we met up with an impossible question...WTFO

So, you don't have those three buttons like the ones shown in my picture. My car is an 05 330Ci
1. DSC button
2. (speaker enhance)
3. recirculation

HK should be a standard in your M3, you shouldn't have to order it, unless it was some sort of upgrade.

Is this what you bought? (Radio, Harman Kardon AM/FM Stereo w/CD 615.00 675.00 )

Last edited by Maximus57; 04-05-2006 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 ZCP
HK is not standard on M3's. No button, no 'Harmon Kardon' on the door speakers, no HK.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:20 PM

Question

I just checked the BMW M3 sales brochure and it shows the optional audio equipment for the coupe and the cabriolet as the audio HK upgrade to 12 speakers and enhanced ampllifier. The additional cost was 675. The HK emblem is on my door speaker; but the elusive button??? There is no room fo any extra damn button on my console. If I did not have the sport button, there would be room, but that is standard on the M3 as well as the two buttons for the ragtop up and down functions. I sent an email to the BMW Owner's Circle priority email and will let you know if I receive an answer from them tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:37 PM

I received an answer from BMW and it only further confused me. The rep wrote that there were 4 speakers in the rear deck - 2 regular speakers and 2 woofers. There is no deck in a ragtop. She also indicated that there were 3 in each door and one on each side passenger panel. Total 12??? I wrote her back and she is doing "more research." So, as the saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself. The speaker locations are 3 per door (6 speakers); 1 on each side of the rear passenger seats (2 speakers); one speaker at the base of each rear passenger headrest (2 speakers); and one speaker in the door of the pass through in the trunk (1 speaker). The total is 11 speakers just as the BMW website shows on the optional audio upgrade. The speed sensitive equalization was also found with the help of the "Mad Russian" M3 website except the button configuration was a little different on the 2006 model, but not a problem. I still haven't found where the upgraded amp is housed, but I can live without knowing that...for now anyway.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
cabs don't have the HK button -- no more space since the top uses 2 switches. the coupe uses these 2 "spaces" for the HK button and the switch for the rear windscreen sunshade.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Graygreen 325i
something I've always wanted to ask, but didn't...

The HK button "enhances" the sound and that's it right? It doesn't activate/deactivate the extra subwoofers that HK comes with?

I personally can't tell much difference with it on except that the music is a little louder, and the mid-range seems boosted. So mostly I leave it off.

2007 Porsche Boxster S, Guards Red, 6-spd manual

Old 04-06-2006, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drharley
I received an answer from BMW and it only further confused me. The rep wrote that there were 4 speakers in the rear deck - 2 regular speakers and 2 woofers. There is no deck in a ragtop. She also indicated that there were 3 in each door and one on each side passenger panel. Total 12??? I wrote her back and she is doing "more research." So, as the saying goes, if you want something done right, do it yourself. The speaker locations are 3 per door (6 speakers); 1 on each side of the rear passenger seats (2 speakers); one speaker at the base of each rear passenger headrest (2 speakers); and one speaker in the door of the pass through in the trunk (1 speaker). The total is 11 speakers just as the BMW website shows on the optional audio upgrade. The speed sensitive equalization was also found with the help of the "Mad Russian" M3 website except the button configuration was a little different on the 2006 model, but not a problem. I still haven't found where the upgraded amp is housed, but I can live without knowing that...for now anyway.
Ah, yes....the vaunted BMW customer service reps. My understanding is that they must all have engineering degrees and then they go through a rigorous 8-month training program to develop product knowledge...NOT! She gave you the coupe info -- where there is a distinctive H-K subwoofer under the rear deck with amp and speakers. Since you've got H-K badges up front, I think you're fine. Plus -- as aranetaj says, cabrio switch panels can easily fill up and thus the button gets crowded out.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Just another bozo..

Mein Auto: '03 525iTs '02 M3C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy
Look for a button with speaker icon next to the DSC button, between the seat heater buttons, in front of the shifter console. Turn on your stereo, press the button. It should light up and sound better.
Wrong. On the convertible there is no button.

Easier to just look for the chrome goobers on the speakers that say "Harmon-Kardon"
Old 04-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Just another bozo..

Mein Auto: '03 525iTs '02 M3C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Ah, yes....the vaunted BMW customer service reps. My understanding is that they must all have engineering degrees and then they go through a rigorous 8-month training program to develop product knowledge...NOT! She gave you the coupe info -- where there is a distinctive H-K subwoofer under the rear deck with amp and speakers. Since you've got H-K badges up front, I think you're fine. Plus -- as aranetaj says, cabrio switch panels can easily fill up and thus the button gets crowded out.
The convertible has a subwoofer - mounted between the trunk and the panel in the seat-back that would normally be an arm-rest. If you have the ski-bag option - this is in front of the subwoofer, and the subwoofer pivots out of the way in the trunk so you can use the ski bag.