Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 03-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril
I know that I liked the E46 design in 1999 - and got a 330ci in 2001. I don't know what others thought....their own opinions are up to them. I vote with my wallet and got a 2006 M3. If someone is dog nuts about the E90 design - they should go buy one.
I'm in exact agreement here -- when the E46 was released, I liked it -- traded my E36 M3 for a 330Ci in 2001 as Estoril did. There were/are small elements of any BMW that I think could be improved on, but I always basically liked the designs until the current generation (what I think of as the Bangle cars.) And, like Estoril, I got a late-production E46 to hold on to the BMW positives for a while, as the styling is driving me away from anything post-E46. I admit I find the E90 less objectionable than the others -- maybe I will ultimately warm up to it.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 03-22-2006, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 540-6spd 10/02 build
Well I pulled the trigger last night. Ordered an '06 M3 couple CB/Blk, nav, hk, xenon, heated seats, sirius, SMG, PDC, Prem Pkg. Build in week 14, delivery sometime in May. This works perfect as it gives me almost 2 months to sell my 330i. Price was OK, but I got the last M3 allocated for this dealer and I finally got exactly what I want in a BMW!

Now to tell my wife I ordered a new car...
Old 03-22-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Bimmerfest sponsor DeLon BMW (of Salem, Oregon) told me yesterday they have two M3 allocations left. As you will know if you browse the Euro Delivery forum, they do a lot of those.

I think M3 slots are probably starting to get sparse, so I thought I'd mention this. Nothing in it for me.

BMW in manhattan has 2 sick ones
Old 04-15-2006, 01:14 AM
BMW's since 11/68

Mein Auto: E24 M6, E28 M5, 2001 540i
Post Last of Allocations?

Tomorrow I go to Brecht BMW of Escondido (CA) to work on an Internet Special Order <$1,000> (discount) of (possibly) Sonora or Sepang Metallic ($2000) w/Cream or Tan Nappa Leather ($3,880) and 'wood' trim interior ($700), 6-Speed, all of Premium except BMW Assist, Lumbar, moonroof, HK, Universal Transceiver, Power Rear Sunshade, & Xenon. They have agreed to the Special Ordering and can do the deed. I started this over a month ago. Last allocations are said to be for May. http://www.brechtbmw.com , if you're interested in trying for an allocation.

My Bronzit M6 was built 15th from the last one off of the line (6/88) & I got it in 2001 w/86K on the clock. AFAIK, it's the only one like it in the U.S.A.

I haven't negotiated a final price yet or whether I will sign the order. I have other choices to consider besides buying what could well be my last new car. I am only buying a new one because that is the only way to get one with colors like my Bronzit M6! I cringe @ the cost! I would have preferred a used one but I don't like the color choices offered by BMW! Too much blue, black, or silver. Silver cars are invisible in the fog. I've had black, dark colored & white cars and hate how the look even when dusty. It's a huge hit on my retirement savings when I factor in taxes, but it's this way, buy a Shelby GT500, or fix up the M6, I guess. I also want a spare tire and BMW isn't building cars with them anymore. This is the last one w/a spare tire storage space & a dipstick, AFAIK.

What do you think?

Ron.
Ceylon `72 TII (F/S)
`88 E28 M5 (her old ride) (F/S)
Bronzit `88 E24 M6
2001 Steel Blue 540ia (hers)

Last edited by Bronzit; 04-15-2006 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Subscribe
Old 04-15-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronzit
I also want a spare tire and BMW isn't building cars with them anymore. This is the last one w/a spare tire storage space & a dipstick, AFAIK.

What do you think?
That would be an unusual M3, to be sure!

Have you seen the wood trim? I assume you are talking about Eucalyptus, which has a greenish color to it.

If you do an Individual interior, I think it's likely you could get Individual wood, which has some very nice options. Of course, then you add another thousand or so for the wood. It adds up!

Edit: Ron, you can download the BMW Individual brochure for the E46 coupe and cabrio at:

http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/pro...individual.pdf

Are you sure the factory will do the special order colors this late? Also, a spare did not come with my M3; although I bought a compact spare from LeatherZ, it does not fit into the normal (non-M) spare tire location, so I carry it in the trunk for trips only.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 04-15-2006 at 09:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:54 AM
It's not all that bad...

Mein Auto: 01 M coupe, 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
Have you seen the wood trim? I assume you are talking about Eucalyptus, which has a greenish color to it.
Have you seen the wood trim in person, or just in pictures? I have the Eucalyptus Malt in my M3, and I don't see any green at all. It's just brown wood
Old 04-15-2006, 10:06 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Smile I Love The e46 Build Too But...

You gotta get over this, "I don't like Bangle design stuff." It's so passe and can't you see it all around you...

Anyway, the only constant in this world my friends is 'Change' and all people, BMW fans included will have to get over this change and make the transition. You all will, it's just a matter of when.

Now that I am off my soapbox, I too have a e46 for lasting memory purposes.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 04-15-2006, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Martin
Have you seen the wood trim in person, or just in pictures? I have the Eucalyptus Malt in my M3, and I don't see any green at all. It's just brown wood
I have never seen it in the flesh, Kurt, and I will defer to your real-life experience. I have seen several pics that showed an odd tint, but that's the problem with pics, particularly on the computer. I wish you would post some good pics.
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 04-15-2006, 10:35 AM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by afx twin
i agree. that's why i ordered mine a couple of weeks ago. i will cherish my 1st BMW/M3...the last of a dying breed. with all this bangle design, im glad the opportunity for me to get the e46 came. im not a fan of bangle and i believe a car's looks SHOULDN'T have to "grow" on you.
Wikipedia is claiming this little tidbit...
"What is not well known, however is that Bangle was indeed responsible for many 'conservative' BMW designs and has worked at BMW for almost a decade. The first X5 sketches (which highly resembled the production car), were designed by him, and under his tenure the E46 came to be."
Old 04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
BMW's since 11/68

Smile OK, I got the Last Allocated M3 from Brecht TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
That would be an unusual M3, to be sure!

If you do an Individual interior, I think it's likely you could get Individual wood, which has some very nice options. Of course, then you add another thousand or so for the wood. It adds up!

Edit: Ron, you can download the BMW Individual brochure for the E46 coupe and cabrio at:

http://www.bmw.com/generic/de/de/pro...individual.pdf

Are you sure the factory will do the special order colors this late? Also, a spare did not come with my M3; although I bought a compact spare from LeatherZ, it does not fit into the normal (non-M) spare tire location, so I carry it in the trunk for trips only.
I ordered it this morning, even though there definitely is no room for even a "Space Saver" spare tire. That d_mn muffler takes up all of the under-trunk room that a spare tire well would use!! I'll go w/a LeatherZ compact tire cover (I'm getting the tire @ cost from MLD), I guess. I'm staying w/the stock 18" wheels after all of the bad news that I read on th U. K. forum about the 19". I also like to NOT feel every pavement strip and have been extremely happy ww/my 225-50Z 16 Goodyear Eagle GS-D3's. Those narrow sidewall tires aren't for me! My wife's 2001 Steel Blue 540ia's 45 & 40-series 17" ones are bad enough.

I got $1K off of MSRP for ordering it over the Internet, initially. I also got included Perma Plating. I couldn't get the clear bra free :-(# To get even this much on the LAST allo./Special Order was pretty good, I think.

The Special Orders were all accepted & cleared ahead of time. I will have a light tan or Cream Nappa leather interior ($3,880), Eucalyptus Malt wood trim (not green, $700), and the 330i's Sonora Metallic paint ($2,000). I was told that I had the last M3 allocation that they were allowed and to expect a 8-10 week wait after the order gets registered as a May build. I'm OK w/that as I expected it. I didn't like the lo-ball offer for my Bronzit M6 (to auction) on a trade-in, so I will sell it myself as the ONLY ONE in the U. S. ought to count for something!

I got all of the Options = to the ZPP Premium Package minus the BMW Assist, which I refuse to pay for & will never use, and included Lumbar, HK sound, rear electric sun shade, Xenon's, & spoiler delete. I will buy @ Club discount the Universal Transceiver and the Dension iPod interface kit (no CD changer wanted) & install them myself. I have 3,700 songs/books + on my iPod. I'm hitting up my savings for the cash & HATE all of the taxes I have to pay for it, but this MAY be my last new(er) BMW so I'm going to enjoy it while I'm still young enough to (64 last Thursday). Sales tax in my area is 7.75%. Capital gains is still 15%. Ugh! The bottom line/out the door cost was just over $66K, what with all of the Special Order charges & all. Come about June 30, I'm going to be one HAPPY FELLA! I wish that there was a less costly way to get the colors I like but BMW doesn't make them standard.

Ron.
Ceylon `72 TII (F/S)
Bronzit `88 E24 M6
Old 04-16-2006, 01:44 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
If you don't like feeling pavement strips and such, DON'T GET AN M3. The low profile tires along with the stiffer suspension gives a harsher ride than you will be happy with.

That is the trade off for performance.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 04-16-2006, 11:14 AM
It's not all that bad...

Mein Auto: 01 M coupe, 05 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC
I have never seen it in the flesh, Kurt, and I will defer to your real-life experience. I have seen several pics that showed an odd tint, but that's the problem with pics, particularly on the computer. I wish you would post some good pics.
Yes, I need to take some better pics. Unfortunately, the sun refuses to shine here in San Jose! I can't take any good pictures until it stops raining here. This is NOT Cali weather
Old 04-16-2006, 12:21 PM
BMW's since 11/68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
If you don't like feeling pavement strips and such, DON'T GET AN M3. The low profile tires along with the stiffer suspension gives a harsher ride than you will be happy with.

That is the trade off for performance.
Thanks for your input, but as you can see by my sig. block, I am VERY familiar with what 'M' cars can do, having experienced almost 1/2 million miles in them. I also drove the E46 M3 before signing on the line for it. The type of tires on the car make all of the difference in the world on how much of the pavement's irregularities reach the driver's senses.

Until you have driven a E46 M3 with performance tires with taller sidewalls, you won't know what you have been missing, as far as a non-harsh ride goes. All tires are a compromise so it is possible to find a more comfortable ride w/o giving up a firm, quick handling & responsive car. I found this out in 1968, when I got out of my TR-4A & into a 2002, drove onto the shoulder of a road & felt the smoothness of the ride vs. my Triumph! It still handled as well as the Triumph, too.

Now, if I were driving on a track in a race, I'd use entirely different tires. But this is for normal traffic & open road driving, where 99% of my driving is done. I don't race-drive on the streets & roads. I save that for the track, when & if...

Of course, YMMV.

Ron.
Ceylon `72 TII (F/S)
Bronzit `88 E24 M6