Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: Subie WRX
Dealer demo 5K 325i

I spoke to a dealer that has "a demo" 2006 325i with quite a bit of options (cold package, sport, auto, as, prem package). The car has 5K miles on it. He claims that the car would be sold as new not certified because there was no previous owner? Does this sound legit. He is willing to sell it to me at cost but with 5K miles I assume I should be offering below cost. He is asking $36,900.
Ads by Google
Old 06-13-2006, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1600 2002tii 323/ E90 335
Nuts.
You could do better than that on a brand new 325 Euro Delivery.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
Bo's ready for the Big 10

Mein Auto: A Murano and Civic Hybrid
I bought a demo when I had my 03 325, prem, step, xenon. It had 8k miles and they sold it as certifed used with the 6year 100k warrenty. I paid about 26k. Invoice for a car with 5k miles isn't a deal
Old 06-13-2006, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to saurav27 Send a message via Yahoo to saurav27
Mein Auto: 2006 E90
I can sell you mine way below invoice but with 11K mile.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Mein Auto: people crazy
What does your salesperson mean by "at cost"? The cost of a new one?

"Demo" probably means that the car was used and abused by one of the salespersons as part of their benefits package. Maybe even used as a service loaner vehicle for the dealership. Sounds like a stinker to me.

Have you priced out a new (not 5000 mile "new") 325i yet? I would bet that you can get something similar for ~ about the same amount of money.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
I love my BMW.

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Sorry to sound so one-track-minded, but having worked in a car dealership while I was in college, I would stay far away from demos.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
Yes, it is legit since they have not transfered the title to anyone else, it would still be technically "new"
Old 06-13-2006, 03:56 PM
I love my BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank325
Yes, it is legit since they have not transfered the title to anyone else, it would still be technically "new"
I know of one case where the car had been a dealer demo for a little less than one year, had only 200 miles on it, and was considered pre-owned by Mercedes but new by the DMV. All the perks of buying a "new car" were lost, such as one free year of tele-aid. Also, with demos, you need to ask how long they have been in service. For example, the Mercedes I speak of had only 200 miles on it, but had already lost one year of warranty. That one year of warranty could be worth a lot, esspecially in BMW's case where they offer 4 years/50,000 miles of free maintenance.

The couple of grand you will save on a loaded 325i demo might not be worth the hassle of owning somebody else's "bitch". I would give up a few options and get a new 325i for the same price.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 Volvo S60R
One of the local dealers is selling a service loaner as CPO so I wouldn't understand why a demo is any different.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:50 PM
I love my BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taken From Another Thread

When we test drove the X3 our salesman made us get up to 70MPH and jam the brakes as hard as we could, just to see how well the chassis could handle it. The first time I tried it, I was a little timid with the brakes so he shamed me into trying it again. The next time I really jammed it. It was amazing how little dive there was and just how stable it was in general. My wife then tried it a couple of times until we all felt like we had been on too many rides at Disneyland.
I got this from another thread....just a reason why I stay away from dealer demos. I'm sure these people weren't the first OR last to abuse this X3.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
some demos are good deals...

today i sold a 330i...Sparkling Graphite, Gray Leather, Premium, Sport, Auto, etc. and it was our finance manager's demo. he was pretty pissed at me because he had been waiting on a 330i sport to use as a demo for a long time. he only had it 3 days and the car only had a bit over 150 miles on it...yeah well...a nice car out the door to a great customer!

if you get a demo you need to be sure to ask who demo'ed it. at our dealership the only true demos are ones that our managers drive. we call services loaners...service loaners. we also call cars that have been sitting for a while chase cars, because they have been used as such because nobody really wanted them. so we use them for delivery chase vehicles.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to bertbert2oo6
Mein Auto: asdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff
What does your salesperson mean by "at cost"? The cost of a new one?

"Demo" probably means that the car was used and abused by one of the salespersons as part of their benefits package. Maybe even used as a service loaner vehicle for the dealership. Sounds like a stinker to me.

Have you priced out a new (not 5000 mile "new") 325i yet? I would bet that you can get something similar for ~ about the same amount of money.
^ I agree
breaking in the engine? what's that??

I would be careful becuase most likely the car was beaten

Cool Songs:
Same Direction - Hoobastank
Talk - Coldplay
Old 06-13-2006, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: '06 330i Sedan
I would be careful. Just came back from Performance Delivery Center... Drove those cars VERY hard, and one of my questions was what they did with the cars after they were done with them. When I heard they were sold as demo's, I promised myself I would never buy a demo again.

'07 X3 | Montego Blue| Gray Leather | Poplar Gray Wood | Prem Pkg | Heated Seats/Steering | Adaptive Headlights | PDC

Old 06-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Excitmnt94 Send a message via Yahoo to Excitmnt94
Mein Auto: '09 135i coupe
so...to sum it up, make sure you get a manager's demo and you trust the people who are telling you it wasn't ragged out. ..because that sounds like a group of cars i wouldn't want...

Old 06-14-2006, 04:11 AM
kid hater

Mein Auto: '07 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by getwired
I would be careful. Just came back from Performance Delivery Center... Drove those cars VERY hard, and one of my questions was what they did with the cars after they were done with them. When I heard they were sold as demo's, I promised myself I would never buy a demo again.

Aren't these cars made to be driven hard?? Are BMWs really that fragile??
Every car/truck I have purchased I drive the snot out of it right from the dealership. I keep our cars 8 to 10 years. Work trucks we keep 300k or 5 years. Never lost a drivetrain yet.
I might need to rethink my BMW purchase if these cars can't take some hard driving.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325iT - Sienna Rot
Some of you guys are being overly paranoid. Granted the deal in this particular case doesn't sound so sweet but demos in general aren't something to be avoided.

If the car has a clean body (remember to get that independent inspection), still carries a substantial portion of the warranty/full maintenance, and doesn't show signs of excessive abuse (severely rashed or bent wheels, abnormal tire wear, smokey/stained interior, etc.) I would give it serious consideration. If the car has more than a few hundred miles on it, I would negotioate a fluid service (oil/filter at minimum + diff/tranny) and extended/CPO warranty as part of the deal.

About the worst that they could do is a WOT run at high rpm while the engine is still cold. This is not catestrophic but might contribute to premature wear if done on a routine basis. If the car has a less than a few thousand miles, chances are this only happened a handful of times if at all.

I understand many people have the mentality to not buy used/demo cars for fear of buying someone elses problem. That's fine (leaves used cars for us to buy without the depreciation hit). If you have this phobia, a demo isn't for you. However, if you'd consider a used car, I see no reason to not consider a demo car.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:26 AM
Mein Auto: people crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gesoffen
I understand many people have the mentality to not buy used/demo cars for fear of buying someone elses problem. That's fine (leaves used cars for us to buy without the depreciation hit). If you have this phobia, a demo isn't for you. However, if you'd consider a used car, I see no reason to not consider a demo car.
The other problem is that the price of the demo units is usually right up there with the price of a brand new, similar vehicle. It makes no sense, in my opinion, to pay almost sticker price for something that may very well have been abused (even if just a little bit). Especially when you're talking about saving [maybe..] $1000 on a $36K car. Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: 02 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKMS
I spoke to a dealer that has "a demo" 2006 325i with quite a bit of options (cold package, sport, auto, as, prem package). The car has 5K miles on it. He claims that the car would be sold as new not certified because there was no previous owner? Does this sound legit. He is willing to sell it to me at cost but with 5K miles I assume I should be offering below cost. He is asking $36,900.
That's a rip