Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 06-20-2006, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Ruh-Ro: Stuck brake drum...

Well well I wonder what I will find this weekend...

Took the beast (the Mini, '67 Austin Cooper S 1275) out for a fun run this weekend.

Drawing up to a stop, I felt some lock-up of the left rear. Hmm.

Tonight I was backing it out of the garage and the rear drums kind of "locked" on, had to break it loose in order to move the car.

I left it in the open part of the garage tonight; I guess I'll be pulling the drums off the rear to see wtf is going on...

Fortunately, a single circuit rear-drum/front disk system is within my ability to work on, I think it has about 7 working parts .

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Advertisement
Old 06-21-2006, 12:52 AM
Astigmatic Visionary

Mein Auto: 325Cic-Topaz-Sand
Was it the one thai had leaking issues gefore? Seems early for for cylinder rust/rehoning.Maybe a seal shifted or?? keep us posted and good luck.The British always seemed to enjoy time spent puttering in the garden and tinkering on cars.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Clarke.

No, I did these three years ago, all the way from the master cyl to each of the slave cylinders at the wheels, plus new drums, plus new shoes, springs, flush and fill.

I only kept the backing plate, wedges and adjuster because they all looked ok/unworn.

I'll hopefully be able to take a few minutes this weekend to get him up on the jackstands and pull the drums off to see what's going on.

Might as well flush and bleed the system too for good measure.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Well, got the drums off and found the following.

Left side (the one that was grabbing) had a slight wheel cylinder leak, with fluid dropped off the bottom and spun onto the shoes. Right hand side ok, but perhaps too much copper grease (my fault) was used on lubing the adjustor pin.

Also on both sides, the hand brake quadrant clevis pin and joint has siezed solid as a rock. Not a big deal until the handbrake is engaged; but still a problem to deal with.

I'll be making my shopping list for minispares.com:

- Set of stainless steel flexible Goodridge brake lines (might as well)
- Wheel cylinder repair kit (might just get a new set if cheap enough; not sure)
- I'm going to clean/deglaze the shoes (they're virtually new)
- Handbrake clevis pin
- New brake springs (again, virtually new, but what the heck, they're cheap to replace, I'm not )

And of course new fluid throughout.

Oh well, another few weeks waiting for parts. Its good to do this in the summertime when its too hot to drive. A black roof, no A/C, a hotted-up motor, and a tiny radiator is not a great combination.

- J.C. Watts Jr.