Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-06-2006, 05:35 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Arrow Please help me BMW318i

I parked my BMW 318i manual (1994) for 2 weeks when I left for vacation. The moment I came back it started to stall. It stalls at times to the point that the idle will drop and that it will turn off. The car has a brand new fuel pump in it that I got installed before I left. By stalling I mean that sometimes it will literally lose all the power, no matter how much I will press on the gas it will stay there, not moving but then a few seconds after being there (my foot still deep on the gass pedal) it will suddenly launch like a rocket. What on earth could have gone wrong? I cleaned all the electrical contacts on the car ....still no change.

Last edited by derek318i; 06-06-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2006, 06:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to BMWredneck Send a message via Yahoo to BMWredneck
Mein Auto: 96 318is Auto
I know that it isnt evenclose to the same vehicle but my pontiac grand prix did that and when it would idle it would jump around until it would get hot as hell. i took it to mechanics to see what it was and they didnt know. So i got one of them Chilton manuals and got to lookin and it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket. I also had my jeeps engine rebuilt and the people that rebuilt it said that it was the fuel system. We kept doing what they said and then finally they looked at it again and it was the intake manifold itself. It was warped. So my guess would be to look at that and maybe think of replacing the gasket. When i replaced theone on the car it made a great improvement and ran like a brand new car. Just a thought. Good luck.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: e36 318is
if you follow you air box hose bacwards towards the engine it will branch of to a idle controll valve, more then likley this has become stuck due to lack of use. i would check that thirst
Old 06-07-2006, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek318i
I parked my BMW 318i manual (1994) for 2 weeks when I left for vacation. The moment I came back it started to stall. It stalls at times to the point that the idle will drop and that it will turn off. The car has a brand new fuel pump in it that I got installed before I left. By stalling I mean that sometimes it will literally lose all the power, no matter how much I will press on the gas it will stay there, not moving but then a few seconds after being there (my foot still deep on the gass pedal) it will suddenly launch like a rocket. What on earth could have gone wrong? I cleaned all the electrical contacts on the car ....still no change.
I stored my 318i for 2.5 years. When i initially tried to start it after 2 months, the car seized on me. The car was a dead vegetable. It needed a new a battery when i sent it to BMW, and when i got it back stored again for another 2 years (stupid eh), so now when i took it out, the car needed various of items. You name it it has gotten replaced. I would send your car to a techguy and have them look at it. Get a oil change, check if everything is cool with the battery and sensors. This car does not like sitting around for more than 1 week, after than it slowly starts losing battery power, falls week and dies. This problem you mentioned, i had the exact problem in our Volvo, it would stall during idling, and it would take 2 turns to start it up, turned out being a sensor, forgot which one. I would have a mechanic look at it quickly before it breaks down further more, and the problem keeps getting much worse.

Last edited by BMW318i_E36; 06-07-2006 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: '07 E90 335i, '07 A3 2.0t
Quote:
Originally Posted by derek318i
Did you check for vacuum leaks? A crack in the intake air boot can cause the condition you are having.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: '92 318i, 02 Grand Cherok
Are you throwing any codes? Is the check engine light on? If so, there are ways to discover what it's telling you is wrong.

Last edited by E-dirty-6; 06-08-2006 at 02:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 330XI, 11 X5 35d
I just remembered, it might be your MAF SENSOR. Thats what our volvo needed, tell us what it is, as i am going to be facing the same with my BMW 318i.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Have you tried changing your filter? When gas sits for a while. It breaks down. The surge could be fuel getting through the filter. With it sitting for 2 weeks. This may be a cheap fix. I base this on my four wheeler and lawn mower. They have additives to prevent the breakdown. A vaccume problem can cause this,but if ran good before .Then I would not look at this.