Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-01-2006, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 99-323i conv
noise rear wheel 1999-E36 .....HELP

bought car this afternoon, test drove car 5 miles average speed 35MPH car ran great...forgot to release emergency brake, did not notice as car did not hesitate at all. drove home 200 miles with emergency brake released, did not think there would be a problem. in the last 10 miles drivers side rear wheel developed a tinney whiney sound that increases with speed. got home check out rear pads they are about l/4" thick, can not see inboard, both rear rotors have blueish tint in center. It is not making a grinding sound that I would associate with a wheel bearing. so are all four rear pads activated when emergency lever is pulled up:? what it sounds like is a piece of tin rubbing against rotor like when pads are worn down in some cars you would get this warning sound. I was thinking of jacking up both rear wheels with tires off and running car in gear to see if this can be isolated. also in the last 2 miles of arriving home a light came on that said "check control" any help would be appreciated
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 85 VW Quantum
i bet you have damaged your rotors as well as your pads. the rotors are most likely warped and rubbing on what is left of the pads. When you are going to replace them let me know. I can get you a set of them along with the brake sensor.

For your check control light what was displayed when you hit the check light on the OBC?
Old 08-01-2006, 07:26 PM

noise rear wheel

since I received no books with car I can only guess that OBC is on board computer? I have "check control" lit up on dash....where do I make the check? thanx
Old 08-01-2006, 07:42 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
It is hard to say if you did any damage to the rotors, pads, wheel bearings.
You can go to Autozone and get the codes read by opening the hood and on the passenger side around the strut tower there is a 3 inch plastic roundcover that the code reader can interrogate. Turn the key to the on position and plug the device in and read the codes.

I would guess that you toasted your brake shoes inside the rotor. Most likely the rotors too. Jacking the car up will do you no good to tell if a bearing is toast. BMW bearings usually have no play when a bearing is toast unlike most US cars. The noise of a bad bearing will be a grinding sound. You might be able to make left and right turns in a parking lot to see if the sound in the back gets better or the same. Loading the car to the left puts the load the right bearing and vice versa.

You need to buy a Bentley BMW workshop manual so you can so things yourself.
Hope this helps some................
Old 08-02-2006, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 96 328is, 04 Audi Allroad
If the parking brakes overheated (small drum brake inside the rear rotor) the rotor might be warped as stated. You'll need to remove the rear rotors to inspect the parking brake pads. There are a series of springs that attach the pads, could have broken one of them.

Checking the rotors requires a dial indicator & micrometer. Unless they are relatively new, maching them is a waste of money. Easier to replace them. New pads of course.

Check control light means there is a message on the OBC (on board computer). Push the check button & it will display the message. Should also display message when you shut the engine off. Could be many things from low coolant to burned out light bulb.

Get a shop manual if you plan on doing any work yourself, well worth the money. An owners manual for the car is a must, many features that are very useful.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:41 AM

update

upon removing wheel and turning rotor by hand you can hear a click like a piece of metal is falling to the bottom of the hat which houses the parking brake shoes. turning the rotor by hand is easy until you reach one spot then the rotor binds up..it is obviously warped and I think the tinney noise I hear is the rotor constanly binding at speed creating some kind of drumming effect with the tin gravel shield on the back.. I sprayed pads real good with brake clean noise has now been reduced by 60%...since I just purchased the car hours before and check light came on at 190 miles into the trip. I gassed up with 92 octane and check light has now gone out and has not come back on I can only figure that gas in tank was probably 89 octane and causing the knock sensor to work, car runs great. thanx everyone for supplying me with items to check.