Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Exclamation GOD! somebody help me with my 328i!!!!

I'm going crazy! I've bought a 2000, 328i and it has very strange problem.
The car doesn't accelerate and the engine is very sluggish, particularly when you push the gas pedal! The EML light is on and there is yellow triangle sign coming on on the dash, plus the check engine light. Now I've taken it to about 10 BMW mechanics and they can't figure out the problem. I have change the air flow meter, throttle body, spark plugs and changed the oil couple of times! non of them helped!! (p.s. could be the oil pump?)
These are the errors that BMW dealer gave me:
1-camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction (#65)
2-signal, 02 sensor, bank 1&2, before catalyst, below min. value.(#151/154)
3-signal, throttle pedal travel sensor(#172 & 111)
4-engine throttle out-put-stage shut off(#169)
5-pedal travel, brakeslamp switch
6-air mass meter signal faulty(#08)
7-pedal travel sensor(#117)
8-electical power in excess of 18v(#120)
9-CAN connection to DME(#148)
10-Streering angle sensor(#182)
**** I repeat, I have changed throttle body and air flow meter already ****
Please help me out, I have no Idea what's wron with this car!
(BMW 328I, 2000, 125,000 miles)
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2006, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 95 318i*01 325i*97 528i
You have so many error codes that I suspect the DME (the elctrical brain) is the problem, because it is improbable that many sensors and componets would all fail at about the same time.

You would have 18 volts somewhere? I don't get that code at all.

But diid the dealer tell you that the DME was ok, or not?

Alternatively is the DME completely plugged in? I would start with the theory that the DME is not correctly plugged in, and inspect that. If it is plugged in and the wires are sound, then a new DME is really expensive.

I assume the car was slow when you bought it, and it had an expensive problem, and that is why it was sold. Or what?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:10 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
I would suspect the cam position sensor as the culprit....

Regards,
Bob
Old 08-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jon@TheMshop
Mein Auto: '98 M3 Turbo '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYVAN
I'm going crazy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYVAN
1-camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction (#65)
2-signal, 02 sensor, bank 1&2, before catalyst, below min. value.(#151/154)
3-signal, throttle pedal travel sensor(#172 & 111)
4-engine throttle out-put-stage shut off(#169)
5-pedal travel, brakeslamp switch
6-air mass meter signal faulty(#08)
7-pedal travel sensor(#117)
8-electical power in excess of 18v(#120)
9-CAN connection to DME(#148)
10-Streering angle sensor(#182)
**** I repeat, I have changed throttle body and air flow meter already ****
Please help me out, I have no Idea what's wron with this car!
(BMW 328I, 2000, 125,000 miles)
Replace the camshaft position sensor. You have to find out if it's the exhaust or intake side.

Replace both the pre cat o2 sensors on banks 1 and 2

Replace the gas pedal. The sensors inside it are faulty

Replace the brake light switch. That is a big input to certain systems.

If you replace the throttle body and you're still having the EML problem after replacing the parts that I just mentioned, then you may need to replace the entire engine wiring harness.

Also, did you buy a used MDK (throttle body) or someone got it for you?
Old 08-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@TheMshop

Replace the camshaft position sensor. You have to find out if it's the exhaust or intake side.

Replace both the pre cat o2 sensors on banks 1 and 2

Replace the gas pedal. The sensors inside it are faulty

Replace the brake light switch. That is a big input to certain systems.

If you replace the throttle body and you're still having the EML problem after replacing the parts that I just mentioned, then you may need to replace the entire engine wiring harness.

Also, did you buy a used MDK (throttle body) or someone got it for you?

Jon,
The throttle position potentiometers are located in the MDK (throttle body), not in the accelerator pedal on that car. The M52TU motors had a cable actuated electric throttle, not completly drive by wire like the M54 cars. So, the pedal assembly is not the problem.

Kayvan,
You do have a lot of fault entries, so it is kind of hard to see what is going on. You should have the fault codes cleared, and see which ones return. Some of the faults could have been caused by someone unplugging electrical connections with the key on.

A faulty cam sensor is very common, and will cause poor performance. It will set a check engine light, but should not cause the EML light to come on. You may have a cam sensor problem, but I don't think it is the root of the problem.

You have a few throttle related faults. Who replaced the throttle, and did they know what they were doing? You are supposed to clear the engine throttle adaptations when a new throttle is installed. If not, the engine will probably run in fail-safe mode (which is what your car is doing from what you are saying).

The 18+ volts fault is also alarming. It is possible that your alternator has a problem, and is supplying too much voltage to the control modules. The engine and transmission control modules are very sensitive to voltage supply. Too much or too little will cause them to freak out.

Good luck, and let me know if I can help at all.

Andy
Old 08-05-2006, 12:56 PM
Past Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Jon@TheMshop
Mein Auto: '98 M3 Turbo '07 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetk14
Jon,
The throttle position potentiometers are located in the MDK (throttle body), not in the accelerator pedal on that car. The M52TU motors had a cable actuated electric throttle, not completly drive by wire like the M54 cars. So, the pedal assembly is not the problem.
Yes you're correct. Had to check my tech manual for that one.

Anyways, there's a bulletin on this matter for the EML. Basically a bad MDK can cause a thottle pedal travel sensor fault which I thought was a bad pedal position sensor. SIB 12 07 99.

The member got back to me and he said he replaced the MDK with a used unit. I told him to buy a new one and to have a shop clear adaptations.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon@TheMshop
Yes you're correct. Had to check my tech manual for that one.

Anyways, there's a bulletin on this matter for the EML. Basically a bad MDK can cause a thottle pedal travel sensor fault which I thought was a bad pedal position sensor. SIB 12 07 99.

The member got back to me and he said he replaced the MDK with a used unit. I told him to buy a new one and to have a shop clear adaptations.

I would not have much faith in a used MDK. I think what you suggested is a good start, and hopefully will solve the problem.

Andy
Old 08-05-2006, 04:25 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
I've got a 328i and ive had my fair share of issues! I feel for you, i think the 328i's are pieces of sh1t.. which is why im getting a 330i next month.

Hope you get it worked out. I know how frustating these cars can be. So frustating, I've almost considered another automaker, but just couldnt quite go through with it (IE: Acura).

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-05-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTex
I've got a 328i and ive had my fair share of issues! I feel for you, i think the 328i's are pieces of sh1t.. which is why im getting a 330i next month.

Hope you get it worked out. I know how frustating these cars can be. So frustating, I've almost considered another automaker, but just couldnt quite go through with it (IE: Acura).

Strange, I've had almost zero problems with my E46 328i. Mine has only 47k on the clock, but no real issues to speak of. Actually, I lied. It blew out a brake light bulb today ...

Andy
Old 08-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetk14
Strange, I've had almost zero problems with my E46 328i. Mine has only 47k on the clock, but no real issues to speak of. Actually, I lied. It blew out a brake light bulb today ...

Andy

Well its good to know that not all of them are crap! BTW, you've probably got the lowest miles for a 328i that ive ever heard of!

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-06-2006, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328I
Thanx you all for these helps and suggentions. I think i've solved quite a few of my problems. The best news is the EML light and that yellow triangle sign doesn't come up any more. However the check engine light is still on. NOW...before i change those parts i used to get 9 error codes, but now i only get one which is PO340...Camshaft postion sensor circuit malf. In addition, I was suspecting that too much sludge could also cause the engine to be sluggish too.
Anyway, I opened the valve cover and took a look at the inside of engine...I can say YES there was alot of sludge in there. I was able to somehow clean the parts on the top, but i guess i need to flush 3-4 more times to get rid of this sludge. However even after I cleaned some of the sludge the power of the engine didn't improve that much so I'm leaning of changing that Camshaft position sensor, but some body told me that error is cause by the sludge and it wil go away after i clean it....I don't know what to do now! flush more or just change the camshaft!!
Old 05-18-2007, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 -E46 - 323i
My 323I has been very good to me so far got it with 72K now at 93K no issues... Oh I changed my head gasket today and got and oil change... no sludge in there thank you very much...
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 -E46 - 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYVAN View Post
Thanx you all for these helps and suggentions. I think i've solved quite a few of my problems. The best news is the EML light and that yellow triangle sign doesn't come up any more. However the check engine light is still on. NOW...before i change those parts i used to get 9 error codes, but now i only get one which is PO340...Camshaft postion sensor circuit malf. In addition, I was suspecting that too much sludge could also cause the engine to be sluggish too.
Anyway, I opened the valve cover and took a look at the inside of engine...I can say YES there was alot of sludge in there. I was able to somehow clean the parts on the top, but i guess i need to flush 3-4 more times to get rid of this sludge. However even after I cleaned some of the sludge the power of the engine didn't improve that much so I'm leaning of changing that Camshaft position sensor, but some body told me that error is cause by the sludge and it wil go away after i clean it....I don't know what to do now! flush more or just change the camshaft!!
I hope you did not pay more than 7K for that car but yes you need to desludge it.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:45 PM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Considering they havent made a post since August 2006, I doubt its still an issue..

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 05-18-2007, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: x
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTex View Post
Well its good to know that not all of them are crap! BTW, you've probably got the lowest miles for a 328i that ive ever heard of!
42K on my 323Ci... how about that? OK, it's no 328i... and low mileage is nothing to be proud of to a 7-yr old car.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Vicariously13

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci
hope it all goes by well...

No real mods... just loads of maintenance
Old 03-30-2009, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
KAYVAN
I have the eml problem same as yours.Cant figure out what is the problem!Could you tell me what you have done to solve this problem!!!So fu..in tired of this problem...Plz!!!
Old 03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauka777 View Post
KAYVAN
I have the eml problem same as yours.Cant figure out what is the problem!Could you tell me what you have done to solve this problem!!!So fu..in tired of this problem...Plz!!!
Dude....this thread is from THREE YEARS ago !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauka777 View Post
KAYVAN
The first thing that came to my mind when I read the OP's problem was failing cam shaft postion sensors. Easy fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Dude....this thread is from THREE YEARS ago !
Oh, well. At least we know he searched.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: 01 330i 09K13GT 83R100RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYVAN View Post
I also recommend replacing your fuel filter.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:10 AM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
my 1999 328i has 103K on it and "0" issues as well, I love mine
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 03-31-2009, 08:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to Latoilette
Mein Auto: 2002 330ci silver
Reset the code and tell us what comes up. That's what a dealer would do.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: '01 325i
almost a three year old thread
Old 03-31-2009, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
Look...I have been researching for this problem for about a week...at first the eml came some times....then more usually...last week it made me crazy. I start to research, my mechanic and I pretty much did the whole test threw GMA and other computers. It showed almost all misfires, which is wrong, some throttle body problems, pedal sensor fault and can connections from DME to DSC and from DME to some other ****!!!(Dont know)...So after couple test and a week of nerve shaking we finally came to a result that it is a DME control unit...which is ****ing German electronics, peace of **** in another words....

GOD why they try to discover another wheel???The 328i of 2000 got the oldest DME...that is extremely bad...As I can see in a form there are many of them...

How did I found it???

In my case the DSC light was coming on first then after few seconds the EML light was coming as well...so I disconnect the DSC control unit, which is ok, the car will still run, but it will have DSC , brake and ABS light will on. However after driven a while, about 2 miles =)), the eml came again....then we new for sure that it is not DSC or something related to it, I mean wheel sensor or something else...We run threw the test again, adjust the throttle angle.dint helped.So we opened the DME, checked if all plugs were plugged in without any damage or corrosion. It was fine. After that we unplugged the battery, to put it in a sleep mode, U NEED TO WAIT AT LEAST 16MIN before u connect the battery back. So it will erase all codes and flush the memory and the EML. After that it seemed to be fine everything worked perfectly. But then it came again what made me so angry...I was just like WTF???After all test it we found out that it is certainly DME control unit. Which is cost on dealer around 1200$, the used one are about 200-400$, however dont forget to asked how many times the DME was synchronized to EWS. If it's been synchronized two times it is not going to work with your car, since you got another code information on your key from ignition...in another word the DME will still work but it will not let the ignition start since DME wasnt synchronized to EWS of your car. In addition while testing there are so many fault codes which are wrong. You need to clean up memory and run the engine till u got eml on your dashboard.

The battery wheel and pedal sensor could be as well good reason. However if it is battery or alternator whenever you push the gas your radio or headlights will turn off!!!

That it the FU..ING EML AND DCS problem.

Hope that will work if you got the same problem!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328ci
I have a 328i with 90miles on it and its been alright..other then oil sep etc. What are the symptoms of electical power in excess of 18v? I know that my head lights pulse when I put the car into Park and sit at Idle..but only when the idle fluctuates.