Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-18-2002, 10:46 AM
Bimmer Gal

Mein Auto: '03 Electric Red 330Ci
Question Amsterdam car wash?

Does anyone know of a good car wash near the Amsterdam drop-off (which is by Schipol airport)? Given the weather in N. Europe this time of year, I'm sure the exterior will be filthy when we drop-off in Amsterdam at the end of next week. I hate to leave that grime on the paint for six weeks.
Ads by Google
Old 11-18-2002, 11:40 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Re: Amsterdam car wash?

Quote:
Originally posted by AlisaKay
Does anyone know of a good car wash near the Amsterdam drop-off (which is by Schipol airport)? Given the weather in N. Europe this time of year, I'm sure the exterior will be filthy when we drop-off in Amsterdam at the end of next week. I hate to leave that grime on the paint for six weeks.
Alisa, here's my take on the car wash issue:

1) I hear ya on not wanting to leave all that dirt on the car for the duration of journey home. But here's the thing... You ought to see how dirty you car is before they washed it for you Seriously, these cars have been sitting in a storage lot for the past 4~6 weeks. It's really not a big deal.

2) Once again your car will be filthy while await for a boat ride at port.

Just let it be... I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

beewang
Old 11-18-2002, 11:40 AM
OCD Certified

Mein Auto: 05 Dodge Magnum RT

Quote:
I wouldn't bother. I paid a small fortune having my car detailed before I dropped it off in Nice and it was delivered very dirty anyway. It's going to get filthy on the trip and the dirt certainly won't hurt it.

Also, as I've mentioned here before, you might want to use a clay bar to remove contaminants when you receive it in the US, since even a brand new BMW seems to come with very dirty paint, including rail dust and other contaminants from shipping.

--gary
Old 11-25-2002, 11:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '02 330ci

Quote:
I actually stopped at a diy wash on the way to Amsterdam from Brussels (about 10 miles out). There were a couple. The "full serve" wash used brushes, so I elected to drop in quarters (euros) and do it myself...

Call me crazy, but I had the same concerns about protecting the finish--particularly when crossing the ocean. I stayed at hotels which generally had underground parking and was able to double coat (Zaino) my car to protect it before dropoff.

Either way, I'm sure you'll be fine. The guys at harns in Amsterdam are top notch, and I was assured by WW (shippers) that the ship's enclosed and sealed.

You should be fine.

Lansing
Old 11-26-2002, 04:40 AM
Patented Worldwide

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Re: Re: Amsterdam car wash?

Quote:
Originally posted by Lansing

Call me crazy, but I had the same concerns about protecting the finish--particularly when crossing the ocean. I stayed at hotels which generally had underground parking and was able to double coat (Zaino) my car to protect it before dropoff.

Lansing
I always thought that it wasn't a good idea to wax a new car for at least a month or so. Is Zaino an exception?

2004 330d (in Deutschland)
metalic silver/black leather
damn near fully loaded
Old 11-26-2002, 04:54 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Re: Re: Re: Amsterdam car wash?

Quote:
Originally posted by riffic

I always thought that it wasn't a good idea to wax a new car for at least a month or so. Is Zaino an exception?
By the time you actually receive the car, Euro Delivery or regular, the paint is going to be a month old and likely more. Plus modern paints and processes "cure" faster than in years past.