Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: 1 series M sport
BMW creaking doors/ seals

I have a BMW 1 series 120 d M SPORT.
It has been back to the garage 9 times and it is still not sorted out. Anybody else with the same problems??
Ads by Google
Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleseekerz View Post
I have a BMW 1 series 120 d M SPORT.
It has been back to the garage 9 times and it is still not sorted out. Anybody else with the same problems??
I had that problem and posted it when I first bought the car. You can look at my thread under stylinexpat. BMW will install a strip for you along the doors and the sound will go away..
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323i
surprising as this was already a problem with the e36 ... and they seem to be using the same solution ... or, rather, workaround.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM

They fixed mine the first time around and since then I have not had any more creaks. Those creaks were really annoying. I am glad that BMW was able to fix them but I think to just strap on some 3M tape is a Mickey Mouse job but it did the job. It is either that or live with those annoying sounds. The trips they install are clear and can't really be seen until they start to get dirty
Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Did you try Gummi Pflege or similar?

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 AM

Mein Auto: '14 320d xDrive Touring S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranetaj View Post
surprising as this was already a problem with the e36 ... and they seem to be using the same solution ... or, rather, workaround.
You are soooo right. Just why BMW persists in using the same type of door seal material now for over a decade when they are fully aware of the undesirable characteristics it has is beyond the imagination.

A friend of mine working as a service advisor in a BMW dealership in fact states that models with the chrome or M Sport piano black door mouldings are not affected by the creaking noise as these are more rigid than the matt black, flexible mouldings that allow some "give", causing the creaking sounds.

Anyway, the starter of this thread is lucky if he just suffers door creaking noises. When I had my 120d, it had these, a cyclical door clicking, rear shelf and seat rattles, mysterious noises from the rear suspension/undercarriage, as well as a faulty AC compressor and idler pulley, and, the piece de resistance - a whole new steering column to get rid of chaffing/creaking noises whenever the steering wheel was turned.

Needless to say, I got rid of the lemon and have lost faith in all new BMWs. I now drive the last of the old school BMs - an E46.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You are soooo right. Just why BMW persists in using the same type of door seal material now for over a decade when they are fully aware of the undesirable characteristics it has is beyond the imagination.

A friend of mine working as a service advisor in a BMW dealership in fact states that models with the chrome or M Sport piano black door mouldings are not affected by the creaking noise as these are more rigid than the matt black, flexible mouldings that allow some "give", causing the creaking sounds.

Anyway, the starter of this thread is lucky if he just suffers door creaking noises. When I had my 120d, it had these, a cyclical door clicking, rear shelf and seat rattles, mysterious noises from the rear suspension/undercarriage, as well as a faulty AC compressor and idler pulley, and, the piece de resistance - a whole new steering column to get rid of chaffing/creaking noises whenever the steering wheel was turned.

Needless to say, I got rid of the lemon and have lost faith in all new BMWs. I now drive the last of the old school BMs - an E46.

I have the M Package with the silver chrome door mouldings and it was creaking...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: '14 320d xDrive Touring S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I have the M Package with the silver chrome door mouldings and it was creaking...
Sorry, but are you referring to the exterior waistline mouldings at the base of the windows? I've never seen any 1 series with bright/sating finish on these.

From what I gather, the more rigid waistline mouldings (chrome, gloss black) allow less flex of the upper door seals as these clamp them in place more firmly and models with these are creak free.

However, the crux of the issue remains why BMW apparently cannot find a long term solution for this irritation after so many years and model series.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 1 Series
1 Series Creaking Doors

I have a 120d M Sport and like folk on this forum I have creaking doors. It has been back 3 times and it is really annoying. I will recommend to BMW that they look on this forum for a solution.

I think it is disgraceful that BMW have not fixed the problem yet.

Thanks for the good advice

Regards, Fordy
Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 120i E87
stylinexpat: please check your inbox, thx.