Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-10-2006, 08:02 AM
soleseekerz soleseekerz is offline
Registered User
Location: Engkand
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 1 series M sport
BMW creaking doors/ seals

I have a BMW 1 series 120 d M SPORT.
It has been back to the garage 9 times and it is still not sorted out. Anybody else with the same problems??
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:56 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18,089
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleseekerz View Post
I have a BMW 1 series 120 d M SPORT.
It has been back to the garage 9 times and it is still not sorted out. Anybody else with the same problems??
I had that problem and posted it when I first bought the car. You can look at my thread under stylinexpat. BMW will install a strip for you along the doors and the sound will go away..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-10-2006, 09:45 PM
aranetaj aranetaj is offline
Registered User
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: BMW 323i
surprising as this was already a problem with the e36 ... and they seem to be using the same solution ... or, rather, workaround.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-11-2006, 10:14 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18,089
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
They fixed mine the first time around and since then I have not had any more creaks. Those creaks were really annoying. I am glad that BMW was able to fix them but I think to just strap on some 3M tape is a Mickey Mouse job but it did the job. It is either that or live with those annoying sounds. The trips they install are clear and can't really be seen until they start to get dirty
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-11-2006, 06:40 PM
MP3_E46's Avatar
MP3_E46 MP3_E46 is offline
Code/wrench Monkey
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 1,040
Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Did you try Gummi Pflege or similar?
__________________


Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:26 AM
Colin Colin is offline
Registered User
Location: New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: '14 320d xDrive Touring S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aranetaj View Post
surprising as this was already a problem with the e36 ... and they seem to be using the same solution ... or, rather, workaround.
You are soooo right. Just why BMW persists in using the same type of door seal material now for over a decade when they are fully aware of the undesirable characteristics it has is beyond the imagination.

A friend of mine working as a service advisor in a BMW dealership in fact states that models with the chrome or M Sport piano black door mouldings are not affected by the creaking noise as these are more rigid than the matt black, flexible mouldings that allow some "give", causing the creaking sounds.

Anyway, the starter of this thread is lucky if he just suffers door creaking noises. When I had my 120d, it had these, a cyclical door clicking, rear shelf and seat rattles, mysterious noises from the rear suspension/undercarriage, as well as a faulty AC compressor and idler pulley, and, the piece de resistance - a whole new steering column to get rid of chaffing/creaking noises whenever the steering wheel was turned.

Needless to say, I got rid of the lemon and have lost faith in all new BMWs. I now drive the last of the old school BMs - an E46.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2006, 06:09 AM
stylinexpat's Avatar
stylinexpat stylinexpat is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Between California and Asia
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 18,089
Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
You are soooo right. Just why BMW persists in using the same type of door seal material now for over a decade when they are fully aware of the undesirable characteristics it has is beyond the imagination.

A friend of mine working as a service advisor in a BMW dealership in fact states that models with the chrome or M Sport piano black door mouldings are not affected by the creaking noise as these are more rigid than the matt black, flexible mouldings that allow some "give", causing the creaking sounds.

Anyway, the starter of this thread is lucky if he just suffers door creaking noises. When I had my 120d, it had these, a cyclical door clicking, rear shelf and seat rattles, mysterious noises from the rear suspension/undercarriage, as well as a faulty AC compressor and idler pulley, and, the piece de resistance - a whole new steering column to get rid of chaffing/creaking noises whenever the steering wheel was turned.

Needless to say, I got rid of the lemon and have lost faith in all new BMWs. I now drive the last of the old school BMs - an E46.

I have the M Package with the silver chrome door mouldings and it was creaking...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Colin Colin is offline
Registered User
Location: New Zealand
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 53
Mein Auto: '14 320d xDrive Touring S
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
I have the M Package with the silver chrome door mouldings and it was creaking...
Sorry, but are you referring to the exterior waistline mouldings at the base of the windows? I've never seen any 1 series with bright/sating finish on these.

From what I gather, the more rigid waistline mouldings (chrome, gloss black) allow less flex of the upper door seals as these clamp them in place more firmly and models with these are creak free.

However, the crux of the issue remains why BMW apparently cannot find a long term solution for this irritation after so many years and model series.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Fordy99 Fordy99 is offline
Registered User
Location: Cambs
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 1 Series
1 Series Creaking Doors

I have a 120d M Sport and like folk on this forum I have creaking doors. It has been back 3 times and it is really annoying. I will recommend to BMW that they look on this forum for a solution.

I think it is disgraceful that BMW have not fixed the problem yet.

Thanks for the good advice

Regards, Fordy
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-23-2006, 09:58 PM
66 66 is offline
Registered User
Location: Thailand
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 120i E87
stylinexpat: please check your inbox, thx.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confession Time Malibubimmer 6 Series 59 01-27-2007 06:16 PM
More on the N54 engine/ new transmission mapezzul E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) 5 07-18-2006 08:30 PM
BMW trys new advertising tactic philippek General BMW 2 05-13-2006 09:26 PM
BMW ConnectedDrive: ChrisTO General BMW 12 11-08-2005 06:41 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms