Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-03-2002, 03:48 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
keyless problem and WTB stock radio

2 things...

first....I got a problem with the keyless entry on my 97 1.9. Somewhere there is a sensor that is broke or is misaligned. Here are the symptoms: Opera lights don't go out (indicating door is open). If the headlights are on and you turn off the car the "lights on" bong starts immediately (indicating door is open). Try to lock car with remote I get 3 chirps (indicating door is open or hood or trunk isn't closed). Lock (or unlock) car with key in driver door: all locks lock. Lock car in passenger door or trunk: only that lock works. Which leads me to believe the problem is with the passenger door (although the trunk lock not unlocking all doors is a bit puzzling). Can anybody help me with some instructions to how to check the passenger door sensor (or tell me if they think it is something else)? Ron? Jon? Andy?

second...anybody got an OE cassette unit sitting on the shelf gathering dustthey are looking to get rid of?

Thanks,
Bruce
97 Z3 1.9
95 M3
89 M3
Advertisement
Old 12-03-2002, 03:52 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Re: keyless problem and WTB stock radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce
2 things...

first....I got a problem with the keyless entry on my 97 1.9. Somewhere there is a sensor that is broke or is misaligned. Here are the symptoms: Opera lights don't go out (indicating door is open). If the headlights are on and you turn off the car the "lights on" bong starts immediately (indicating door is open). Try to lock car with remote I get 3 chirps (indicating door is open or hood or trunk isn't closed). Lock (or unlock) car with key in driver door: all locks lock. Lock car in passenger door or trunk: only that lock works. Which leads me to believe the problem is with the passenger door (although the trunk lock not unlocking all doors is a bit puzzling). Can anybody help me with some instructions to how to check the passenger door sensor (or tell me if they think it is something else)? Ron? Jon? Andy?

second...anybody got an OE cassette unit sitting on the shelf gathering dustthey are looking to get rid of?

Thanks,
Bruce
97 Z3 1.9
95 M3
89 M3
I have an OE cassett unit from my '98 1.9L sitting in my closet, however I no longer have the security code to activate the unit. Email me, danwu1@yahoo.com if you're interested.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:40 PM
///M forum moderator

I wonder if Jon can get the code?
Old 12-03-2002, 05:37 PM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:

I wonder if Jon can get the code?
Hey Bruce,

I'm done for the day, and tomorrow is my day off...

You should be able to call any BMW Center, and with the last 7 digits of the
VIN they can request your radio code, or get it through DCS I believe...

Let me know on Thursday if you still need some help.

--Jon
Old 12-03-2002, 11:24 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: keyless problem and WTB stock radio

Quote:
Can anybody help me with some instructions to how to check the passenger door sensor (or tell me if they think it is something else
Finger the passenger door switch located in the B pillar (door jamb).
The alarm is looking for no grounds.
Any ground (switch closed) will give you the three chirps.
Can scan and send you the prints if you want.
Old 12-04-2002, 04:44 PM
///M forum moderator

Re: Re: keyless problem and WTB stock radio

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Stygar
Finger the passenger door switch located in the B pillar (door jamb).
The alarm is looking for no grounds.
Any ground (switch closed) will give you the three chirps.
Can scan and send you the prints if you want.
Ok I tried manually closing the lock with the door open. I don't see the switch anywhere (not that I was expecting to. I assume I need to take the door panel off?

Bruce
Old 12-04-2002, 04:54 PM
19,585 Miles

Re: Re: Re: keyless problem and WTB stock radio

Quote:
Ok I tried manually closing the lock with the door open. I don't see the switch anywhere (not that I was expecting to. I assume I need to take the door panel off?

Bruce
The switch is on the door jamb (B pillar). Stick your finger in the hole and the roller will push back. Will post a pic soon.
Old 12-04-2002, 05:16 PM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Bruce, I'm still trying to locate the VIN...I can try stopping by my dealership this weekend and see if they have the VIN on their record.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-04-2002, 06:10 PM
19,585 Miles

Made this up out of a 1/4 inch piece of balsa wood. When cleaning the door windows, this keeps the windows all the way up with the door open.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 12-04-2002 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 07:24 PM
///M forum moderator

OK, so I just proved that I suffer from craniorectal inversion. :-)

Don't ask me why I have this (Z3s are NOT supposed to have this feature), but I have positive pressure windows (i.e. when the door is opened the window goes down slightly, when closed it goes up to prevent not have excess pressure inside the car). Nice thing I have this feature as it proves (to my mind anyway) that the door sensors are working properly.

Next idea Ron? Is the trunk sensor easy to find?
Old 12-04-2002, 08:08 PM
19,585 Miles

Try unplugging the hood switch connector.

Then try unplugging the radio installed switch connector behind the radio where the pin on the back of the radio goes in.

Old 12-04-2002, 09:13 PM
///M forum moderator

Somehow I having a feeling my 2 problems (keyless entry and radio) are related....

I unplugged the hood switch, but what good does that do? It still beeps three times. If the hood switch is unplugged does the keyless entry unit then ignore the hood switch? Or does it assume the switch is closed?

Taking the radio out will have to wait til tomorrow. Plus I don't have a handy dandy Ron Stygar radio removal tool. :-)

Thanks Ron,
Bruce

PS the radio problem has predated the keyless entry by a few months. The radio problem is the radio cuts out FM (only FM not AM or CD) for no reason. It sounds like a thunder storm with crackling and then nothing. I don't even think it is pulling a signal as the "ST" indicator goes out at the same time. I guess it could be an antenna problem....or....I screwed something up hard wiring the V1 (switched power taken from the radio).
Old 12-04-2002, 09:29 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:

I unplugged the hood switch, but what good does that do? It still beeps three times. If the hood switch is unplugged does the keyless entry unit then ignore the hood switch? Or does it assume the switch is closed?
Hood closed = no ground = switch contact open. Unplugging the connector eliminated that as a possible problem.
If you had an ohmmeter you could check the sensor inputs at the alarm connector and see which one is causing the problem.

Old 12-04-2002, 10:09 PM
Butting back in

Mein Auto: GS500F
If it helps, here's some more pics of the alarm sensor in situ (courtesy of Skin).
Old 12-04-2002, 10:30 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:

Taking the radio out will have to wait til tomorrow. Plus I don't have a handy dandy Ron Stygar radio removal tool. :-)

PS the radio problem has predated the keyless entry by a few months. The radio problem is the radio cuts out FM (only FM not AM or CD) for no reason. It sounds like a thunder storm with crackling and then nothing. I don't even think it is pulling a signal as the "ST" indicator goes out at the same time. I guess it could be an antenna problem....or....I screwed something up hard wiring the V1 (switched power taken from the radio).
You can purchase one from Richard Mix for $5.00 shipping included. Z3Richard@aol.com.

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/ste...oval_tool.html

There is also a repair kit for the antenna lead if that turns out to be a problem.
Old 12-05-2002, 05:35 PM
///M forum moderator

I found the problem. While the window motor sounded like it was working when hitting the driver door switch it must not be enough to catisfy the alarm.

Ron...do you have a part number and price for a driver door switch?
Old 12-05-2002, 07:06 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:

Ron...do you have a part number and price for a driver door switch?
I can't find the switch listed separately. I assume it's part of the striker 51 21 8 399 245 (same for left and right) $46.00 retail.
Double check when you order that's the case.
Old 12-05-2002, 07:45 PM
///M forum moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Stygar
I can't find the switch listed separately. I assume it's part of the striker 51 21 8 399 245 (same for left and right) $46.00 retail.
Double check when you order that's the case.
Will do...Thanks Ron.
Old 12-08-2002, 08:27 PM
///M forum moderator

OK more info....

It appears that the locking mechanism isn't holding the door closed enough. If I push the door closed more the keyless works. The door looks like it isn't closed 100%.

Any fix/adjustment on the door mechanism?
Old 12-08-2002, 08:51 PM
19,585 Miles

Adjust the striker in a little without letting it **** or go up and down. Before you loosen it, mark its position using a marker or painters tape so you can do that. It is held in place with two T40 TORX screws.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:58 PM
///M forum moderator

Call me stupid, but I don't see an adjustment to the locking mechanism by just undoing the TORX screws (they are T40 BTW- seems to be held in with Blue Loctite). Do I need to take off the interior door panel and take out the locking mechanism?
Old 12-09-2002, 06:07 PM
19,585 Miles

See the following pic. Item 2 in the pic is called the striker plate in the parts data. Try it and see.

Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 PM
///M forum moderator

OK I am still a dumbass. I keep trying to change something on the door.

After a few curse words and the trim piece not wanting to come off (and thereby me breaking it a bit)...I got the striker plate adjusted and the keyless entry is working again.

Now about that radio...

Thanks again Ron,
Bruce