Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-09-2002, 09:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe
AndyM or JohnM any info on Leather Whalen Knobs

I noticed on the LeatherZ site that leather Whalen knobs were coming soon. Can you give any information about their construction and availabilty? What about the Whalen Knob Socks, what are they? I live in Texas and had a metal shifter once, it gets way too hot here for that.

I just got a 2000 M Coupe and I am making a christmas list

ps. any info on the alcantara sunshade?
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2002, 09:46 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Re: AndyM or JohnM any info on Leather Whalen Knobs

Quote:
Originally posted by jplouis
I noticed on the LeatherZ site that leather Whalen knobs were coming soon. Can you give any information about their construction and availabilty? What about the Whalen Knob Socks, what are they? I live in Texas and had a metal shifter once, it gets way too hot here for that.

I just got a 2000 M Coupe and I am making a christmas list

ps. any info on the alcantara sunshade?
Leather Whalens are a ways off. There are alot of things we need to work out and I have a ton of stuff on my plate already. Don't count on them before spring.

Whalen Socks are basically a cover for the knob when not in use. I have a few more projects to take care of before I can get the design finalized and find someone to do the work (ie-going to take several new products to one guy to do the bulk of the work)

Alcantara sunshade is also a ways off as well (sounding like a broken record). The glue alone adds a substantial amount of weight to the sunshade which is one problem. Neither Jon nor I have found anything that meets our standards for finishing the edge.

Wish I had more info and better time frames but I have a limited amount of time to take on projects (I like taking on one task at a time and seeing it finished rather than many tasks that take forever to finish). With one employee (me) and Jon's long hours, things go a bit slow. Now that the Mini Armrest is almost finished (damn suppliers!) I can start working on new stuff again.

08 E82 135i | 02 Z3 Coupe | 01 R1100S
Old 12-09-2002, 11:04 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Re: Re: AndyM or JohnM any info on Leather Whalen Knobs

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM

(I like taking on one task at a time and seeing it finished rather than many tasks that take forever to finish).
I multi task. I have many projects in the works, and find it much more interesting this way. Unfinished things are a blessing in some cases. I had a strut brace design. After talking with your Dad at Homecoming, we have a better one.
You think that you will run out of things to do. Turns out that the more you do, the more you get to do. Sort of like the more you know, the more you get to know.
Vender availability, quality is my major problem.
Old 12-10-2002, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: 00 M Coupe
Short leather shifter

I know you sell the short aluminum shifter modified to light up, do you think you could modify a short leather shifter to light up?

There is a picture of the short leather shifter in this thread
here. The part number is 82 23 9 405 688

Thanks.

JPL
Old 12-10-2002, 04:30 PM
Suede Master

Number H?

I've never tried, I would probably have to crack one open and see what is going on inside. I can't guarantee that illumination will work. If you are willing to buy one of the knobs, I am more than willing to crack it open. The shift pattern insert will be destroyed.

If you're going for a short shift feel, pester Ron into getting you a 'Shortened From Above Short Shifter'. Very easy to install, plus you get Ron's level of quality. With his shifter, you could keep a stock knob.

Give me a call if you want to discuss.

Old 12-11-2002, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: '04 VW R32 + '86 325es
Re: Re: AndyM or JohnM any info on Leather Whalen Knobs

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM

Alcantara sunshade is also a ways off as well (sounding like a broken record). The glue alone adds a substantial amount of weight to the sunshade which is one problem. Neither Jon nor I have found anything that meets our standards for finishing the edge.
Why not use that rubber piping/edging used to cover up the sharp edges of sheet metal to finish off the edge? That would keep the alcantra from pulling away, be cost-effective, and also increase the interferece-fit of the sunshade (which will help hold it up better, and ovecome the added weight)?

You could also just cut 1/2" wide strips of the alcantra and use it as piping for the edge. But that seems like it would add to the assembly time.

Jonathan
Old 12-11-2002, 10:16 AM
Suede Master

Re: Re: Re: AndyM or JohnM any info on Leather Whalen Knobs

Quote:
Originally posted by Johann
Why not use that rubber piping/edging used to cover up the sharp edges of sheet metal to finish off the edge? That would keep the alcantra from pulling away, be cost-effective, and also increase the interferece-fit of the sunshade (which will help hold it up better, and ovecome the added weight)?

You could also just cut 1/2" wide strips of the alcantra and use it as piping for the edge. But that seems like it would add to the assembly time.

Jonathan
We've tried the piping but haven't been satisfied with the results. The problem is that adding 1/8" of an inche to over thickness of the sunshade (1/16" on either side of the sunshade) causes problems. We'll get it eventually though.