Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Fender Bender...?

My 745 was involved in a little frontal bump this morning, courtesy of the wife.

The passenger headlight is cracked, the front part of the fender pushed inward, which has also pulled the side of the bumper in with it. The bumper isn't cracked, and mostly is scuffed and scratched, the front rims is also rashed up from grinding along side the other vehicle.

I've never been involved in any collision at all, so this is my first time ever dealing with the insurance company.

Any advice from anyone? I always hear horror stories about how the insurance company gives $1000 when there is $3k in damage and the vehicle owner is always footing out $$$ to have the repairs done correctly in the end.

Any advice from anyone who has (unfortunately) been involved in a collision is highly appreciated!

Advertisement
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Get quotes from your dealer's body shop to repair the damage and a few other BMW specializing body shops.

Right outside of Tampa there is a really good independent European body shop called Mirek's Body shop or something like that, anyways, he did our old Porsche RSA and did a fantastic job on it (bumper was lightly scratched from a lawnmower, nothing big) and even polished the whole car and waxed it for free. Great prices and fantastic service/work.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750LI M3 Mustang Tundra
insurance companys should pay in full of how ever much the damage cost. Sometiems they will send someone out and give you a price but then when you take it to the shop to get fixed and if the shop finds out more damages. They contact the insurace compnay and get them to pay however much more it cost.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:16 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Thank you for the input. I guess I'll be taking it to the adjuster for them to put their value on the damage and take it to a shop, I'll have to check into the shop the dealership here sends their cars to, however I have another shop in mind that a few friends have had custom cars done at, and I know the work is absolute perfection, too many decisions!

Thanks guys
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
Good luck I hope it all works out for you.

www.customoffset.com
facebook.com/customoffsets
Old 11-29-2006, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Get a least one estimate from a BMW certified repair center before you take it to your insurance adjuster or their recommended repair center. They tend to direct you to their "preferred" repair center(s) who will take the least expensive approach to the repair. A BMW repair center will replace damaged parts rather than straighten or bondo the damage. And don't accept a check from your adjuster until after the repairs are complete. Cashing that check constitutes a release of liability from further claim. Get a printed description of how the repairs will be performed. Watch out for terms like R&R. It can mean remove and repair rather than replace. Ask questions. If you don't understand the answers ask for clairification. Don't accept the repair if it is not to your satisfaction. Remember you are the customer, not the insurance company. Good Luck with the repair
Old 11-29-2006, 03:22 PM
I love my BMW.

Mein Auto: 2006 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrahn View Post

Any advice from anyone who has (unfortunately) been involved in a collision is highly appreciated!
Get rid of the wife.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwunder View Post
Cashing that check constitutes a release of liability from further claim.
Unless it is stated on the check, this is not true.

Instead, like Din said:

"insurance companys should pay in full of how ever much the damage cost. Sometiems they will send someone out and give you a price but then when you take it to the shop to get fixed and if the shop finds out more damages. They contact the insurace compnay and get them to pay however much more it cost."

That's exactly what happened to me. The insurance company cut an additional check for the difference even though I had cashed the first check. Just make sure there's not such disclaimer on the check or you sign a paper with such a disclaimer. However, if your insurance company asks you to sign something like that... dump it afterwards

Good luck