Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-30-2006, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 x5 4.4, 2010 M3 conv
I saw 2007 X5

I have mixed feelings!It was 3.0 si!

The car looks bigger more X3ish! Interior is nice but , rear 3rd row seats are gimmick imho!!
Advertisement
Old 11-30-2006, 03:42 PM
G o H o g s G o !

Mein Auto: 08 535i Sport/06 X5 4.8is
They are small, no doubt. We test drove a 3.0 Saturday and loved it...but we need the third row as we have an infant, 6 year old, 7 year old and 17 year old. My gripe is whoever sits in the third row cannot see the rear DVD screen...

2006 X5 4.8is l TiAg wife

2004 330i l ZHP l TiAg l Moonroof l Xenon l Alcantara I Modified CDV I RE Clutch Stop retired

1997 328is l TiAg retired
Old 11-30-2006, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I agree. I could almost imagine my five year old complaining about the lack of legroom one mile from home. Grr! A rear-facing seat a la the MB E class wagon might have been more useful.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM
In Waiting: X5 on order

Mein Auto: Audi allroad
yeah, it's a tad bit smaller than the MDX's. But for occasional use, it's enough. I had the same thought about the video. I wonder why they didn't mount the video from the roof or headreasts as opposed to in the console where it's going to get more abuse.....

'07 X5 4.8i On Order w/Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Tech|Rear Climate|Rear Heat|3rd Row|Sirius
Old 11-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
I think it looks like the X3's big brother as opposed to big daddy X5 which trumps all other SUVs on the road, even the X3.

Our dealership had one but some woman with 3 little monkey children who couldnt resist smearing their greasy hands all on along the outside of the car and all over the interior were screwing around. It was a 4.8i but I don't understand even with the V8 why the put such cheap wheels on it standard. I'm sure the optional wheels look great in person but I couldn't tell a bit of difference between a standard 4.8i and the 3.0si other than the grill. Atleast with the old X5's the stances were different.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
does anyone know how much bigger is this new x5 compared to the old x5? or are they the same size?
Old 11-30-2006, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, 535i
Did you see it at the dealer or on the street? My dealer actually has a Black 3.0si or sale for the public already. I am going to go look at one on Saturday...Make mine Alpine White 4.8i with the "20 rims please...

-e60lover
Old 11-30-2006, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 M
I spent some time in a 3.0 this last weekend. I was not impressed. The interior looked cheap in my opinion. No auto close rear hatch anymore. The sound of the door shutting isnt the pleasant thud of the outgoing model.

overall I will stick with my '06 4.4 Sport. Well for now....
Old 12-01-2006, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswaz View Post
I spent some time in a 3.0 this last weekend. I was not impressed. The interior looked cheap in my opinion. No auto close rear hatch anymore. The sound of the door shutting isnt the pleasant thud of the outgoing model.

overall I will stick with my '06 4.4 Sport. Well for now....
Agree: The door shutting sound is similar to a Honda. Also, when closing the aluminum hood, it actually flexes, like its going to bend in half.
2002 X5 (retired)
1999 Z3 (retired)
1990 535i (retired)
1986 528e (retired)
1978 733i (retired)
1977 320i (retired)
1974 2002tii (in storage)
1972 Bavaria (retired)
1970 2002 (retired)
Old 12-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2003 530i and 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason-2 View Post
does anyone know how much bigger is this new x5 compared to the old x5? or are they the same size?
7 1/2" longer, 4 1/2" wider (roughly)

Ed
Old 12-01-2006, 12:23 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2003 530i and 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeman View Post
Agree: The door shutting sound is similar to a Honda. Also, when closing the aluminum hood, it actually flexes, like its going to bend in half.
And the front fenders are plastic, but to keep the 50-50 weight distribution, they had to trim from somewhere.

Keep in mind also, that the hood and fenders aren't a significant part of the crash structure. The chassis rigidity is something like 15% stiffer, which translates into a more precise feel on the road.

You can drive over a rock and get the rear wheel three feet in the air and still open/close the doors, so its not a wimpy design by any stretch.

Ed
Old 12-01-2006, 08:54 PM

What a load of ... You guys are funny.

I think the doors close nicely- it's one of the first things I noticed when sat in the car. Wanna hear a japaneese door thwack go try the doors on the new MDX - The doors on the X5 are lighter than the older version (my neighbor has an 04 3.0) but they still have a distinctly BMW thud when you close them. Maybe it's in a different key than you're used to...

Try to compare the interior of the Acura, or the MB GL - then say the interior looks cheap... What color were you looking at, which seats? Was it leather or the standard simulated leather in the 3.0si? Maybe you didn't like the color- Given there's a wide range of options on interior with colors, with simulated leather, dakota, perforated dakota and napa leathers, what were you looking at and what percisley made you think it seemed cheap or cheaper than last years?

Kids with greasy fingers asside, some people don't care about wheels as much as others. They give you the standard ones and allow you to upgrade with the sports package to 19's or for $800 more to 20's. If you want it, you at least have the option of paying for it, if you don't want it, you don't have to pay extra- they call that an option. I don't know why you have a problem with it - you get a nice upgrade with the sports package. I don't get it... how 'bout complaining that when you spend $70K on a car you still have to buy floor mats? get over it....

I didn't check the flex on the hood, I guess I'll keep that in mind if I need to climb on top of it. Ever open the hood on a ferrarri? I'm glad they decided they could save a few pounds by making the hood as thin as possible - probably costs more to do.

Plastic bumpers don't dent as easily as steel. if it buggs you that much, there's a steel tubbing protector as an add on for the front and back ... look in the accessory catalogue posted on x5world...

You can order the automatic electronic rear hatch closer for $500 extra if it means that much to you- I suppose those who take head's up display and 20 way ventilated seats might wanna throw that in - whatever floats your boat - I'm glad I don't have to pay a penny more for that feature, and no, I won't be getting the hands free key either but if you want it you can pay for it .... thanks BMW for giving me the choice on that one...

The funny thing is I don't hear anyone complaining about the experience behind the wheel.

I think a few of you are just looking for sympathy posts cause it's going to be a few years before you ante up for the new version. I'll bet when your leases are up or loans are paid off you'll all be in line for the new version and you'll be saying gee, I'm glad I waited a year or two till they got the kinks out.... in the mean time I have a special place for you misinformed whiners in the 3rd row of mine....

But really, do us all a favor and get behind the wheel and drive them all (3.0/4.8 and a sports package if you can find one) before you start whining about the inferior direction of the leather grain on the '07- and then if you don't like the direction of the leather grain, at least make sure it's leather you're looking at - tell us which of the 3 seat types, 4 coverings, and 4 interior colors you saw and be so kind as to tell us what you're comparing it to before you make a statement like "it looks cheap"....

BTW: Last week there was still an '06 4.8si left over on the showroom floor at Westchester BMW. They were willing to take about 4 or 5K off the sticker- with the '07's in I'm sure they want to move the '06 out... Three reasons I didn't bite: 1) it was black, 2) it was black and 3) it was black. The old model was great- all of them, the 4.8si was gorgeous - in fact I regret not leasing one 3 years ago- i'd probably be buying that lease out if I did, but after 7 years it's time for an update. It's not the same as your old X5, but I don't think it's fair to say it looks cheap or cheaper- just different....

'07 X5 4.8i On Order w/Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Tech|Rear Climate|Rear Heat|3rd Row|Sirius
Old 12-01-2006, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3 3.0
Going to check it out at a special event on wednesday. They're actually giving one away! Pretty excited about this.

"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
ó Arthur C. Clarke
Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim h. View Post
Kids with greasy fingers asside, some people don't care about wheels as much as others. They give you the standard ones and allow you to upgrade with the sports package to 19's or for $800 more to 20's. If you want it, you at least have the option of paying for it, if you don't want it, you don't have to pay extra- they call that an option. I don't know why you have a problem with it - you get a nice upgrade with the sports package. I don't get it... how 'bout complaining that when you spend $70K on a car you still have to buy floor mats? get over it....
No, I don't have a problem with the sport package. I believe we have a mis-understanding here. What I have a problem with is people who are stupid enough to buy a $55k suv and not spend the extra, what, $950 for the nicer wheels, it doesn't even have to have the $3.5k sport package (although it's always highly recommended) to make it look good. When they just get a stripped down 4.8 it makes them look like they could barely afford it.

But I have to remember here, BMW is trying to target a new audience: soccer moms that beat the hell out of their cars and never wash them nor care about what they look like, to them it's just transportation. I'm upset with BMW for trying to do that, but however, they are a business and they want to run things like a business.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: not everyone who buys a BMW is an enthusiast like 90% of the people here are, some buy a BMW just for a badge, some buy it because they don't know any better to get good options, some buy them for kiddie hauling, these people don't care.

People who care are the ones that get the Sport Package (atleast) and the larger engine, I applaud those people for being true BMW-ophiles.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:38 AM

Now you're talking -

Status seekers will be there... allways- and they aren't just soccer moms .....

I'm not pissed at BMW for doing a bit to appeal to the soccer moms though. In fact some of the changes make it easier for me to justify the purchase- things like the "occasional 3rd row" and rear entertainment make it practical as a family vehicle - while the sports package, wheels and 4.8 engine appeal to us enthusiasts. For me, this is as close as I can get to having my cake and eating it too....

One thing about the 18's though- they actually are a better option if you live in areas where the roads are bad or if you need to run winter/snow tires. So it's not necisarily a bad thing, and there is a justification for having them in 18's/

Also, the fact that they put 18's on the 3.0 and 4.8 and have the same suspension in both vehicles in all the demos that went out make it easy to compare apples to apples. If the 4.8i's came in with different wheels, and felt different on the road than the 3.0, would you attribute it to the engine or the wheels? (both I hope).....

I agree, it would seem silly to spend all the $ to buy the 4.8 and not upgrade the wheels in the purchase (a much cheaper alternative to aftermarket upgrades), unless you wanted a set for winter use ..... my point being there is a perfectly valid argument for not upgrading the stock 18's that has nothing to do with status seeking soccer moms.

I think BMW got it right with this one - right down to the slightly offset black plastic covering in the impact areas on the bumpers (I'm sick of worrying about scuff marks from people who don't know where their bumpers end and mine begin).

Old 12-02-2006, 09:21 AM

I didn't consider we're looking at two different perspectives. I live in the North East ... looks like your in Florida....

If you live below the snow belt and can run summer tires all year, you'd be nuts or a soccer mom more concerned with the badge on your car if you're not thinking 20's .. at least 19's, yes, in that case it should be illegal to go with 18's on the 4.8i.

If you have to deal with snow, ice and near or below freezing temps more than a few times a year, it requires a bit more planning... and perhaps storage space if you opt for changing out your tires/wheels with the seasons .... In a way we have a reverse problem in ski country: on any given weekend where there's snow, you can find a proportial number of idiots spun out and in ditches on the side of the road because they drive their 4x4 with low profile wheels and summer tires with the attitude that they can blast through whatever nature could throw at them..... It's usually worth a laugh or to to watch till you realize someone in their path could be seriously injured .... .

so while I agree with you that it seems wrong, if you have only one set of wheels and your main reason for getting one of these is to get where you're going in winter weather- the 18" wheels with 255/55's are probably the best route for all season tires (slightly better than the wider 19's in snow) and they are without question, the best choice if you need to run winter or true snow tires (maybe the only choice right now with RFT) ....

Old 12-02-2006, 04:40 PM
G o H o g s G o !

Mein Auto: 08 535i Sport/06 X5 4.8is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim h. View Post
What a load of ... You guys are funny.

I think the doors close nicely- it's one of the first things I noticed when sat in the car. Wanna hear a japaneese door thwack go try the doors on the new MDX - The doors on the X5 are lighter than the older version (my neighbor has an 04 3.0) but they still have a distinctly BMW thud when you close them. Maybe it's in a different key than you're used to...

Try to compare the interior of the Acura, or the MB GL - then say the interior looks cheap... What color were you looking at, which seats? Was it leather or the standard simulated leather in the 3.0si? Maybe you didn't like the color- Given there's a wide range of options on interior with colors, with simulated leather, dakota, perforated dakota and napa leathers, what were you looking at and what percisley made you think it seemed cheap or cheaper than last years?

I didn't check the flex on the hood, I guess I'll keep that in mind if I need to climb on top of it. Ever open the hood on a ferrarri? I'm glad they decided they could save a few pounds by making the hood as thin as possible - probably costs more to do.

Plastic bumpers don't dent as easily as steel. if it buggs you that much, there's a steel tubbing protector as an add on for the front and back ... look in the accessory catalogue posted on x5world...

You can order the automatic electronic rear hatch closer for $500 extra if it means that much to you- I suppose those who take head's up display and 20 way ventilated seats might wanna throw that in - whatever floats your boat - I'm glad I don't have to pay a penny more for that feature, and no, I won't be getting the hands free key either but if you want it you can pay for it .... thanks BMW for giving me the choice on that one...

The funny thing is I don't hear anyone complaining about the experience behind the wheel.

I think a few of you are just looking for sympathy posts cause it's going to be a few years before you ante up for the new version. I'll bet when your leases are up or loans are paid off you'll all be in line for the new version and you'll be saying gee, I'm glad I waited a year or two till they got the kinks out.... in the mean time I have a special place for you misinformed whiners in the 3rd row of mine....

But really, do us all a favor and get behind the wheel and drive them all (3.0/4.8 and a sports package if you can find one) before you start whining about the inferior direction of the leather grain on the '07- and then if you don't like the direction of the leather grain, at least make sure it's leather you're looking at - tell us which of the 3 seat types, 4 coverings, and 4 interior colors you saw and be so kind as to tell us what you're comparing it to before you make a statement like "it looks cheap"....

BTW: Last week there was still an '06 4.8si left over on the showroom floor at Westchester BMW. They were willing to take about 4 or 5K off the sticker- with the '07's in I'm sure they want to move the '06 out... Three reasons I didn't bite: 1) it was black, 2) it was black and 3) it was black. The old model was great- all of them, the 4.8si was gorgeous - in fact I regret not leasing one 3 years ago- i'd probably be buying that lease out if I did, but after 7 years it's time for an update. It's not the same as your old X5, but I don't think it's fair to say it looks cheap or cheaper- just different....
Wow...talk about overkill on the response...

2006 X5 4.8is l TiAg wife

2004 330i l ZHP l TiAg l Moonroof l Xenon l Alcantara I Modified CDV I RE Clutch Stop retired

1997 328is l TiAg retired
Old 12-03-2006, 08:17 PM
My first Bimmer!!

Mein Auto: 2006 325i Manual
Here is my 2 cents on the 2007 X5 3.0:
Base price is higher vs. last year.......and it wasn't cheap in 2006
LEATHERETTE is standard???? (when is BMW going to make leather standard???)
No Panoramic roof standard???? (it's standard on X3)
It is BIGGER, but 3rd row seat isn't standard???? (3rd row "jump seats" are TINY!!!)
Very little color selection.......unless you are a silver/gray fan
Premium package + Sport package + heated seats + 3rd row= $$$$$ (YIKES!!!!)
You are looking at $55,000 before you realize it and still don't have as many options STANDARD from makers like Acura (MDX), Lexus (GX/LX), Mercedes (GL), etc.
I don't know.......I LOVE my bimmer.......but sheeeesh.......it's overpriced.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:46 PM

Well...I saw one this weekend and (although it was a 3.0si) It didn't make me want to trade in my '06 at all. I saw one at the L.A. auto show (a 4.8i with 20' rims) and it was very nice, just as nice as my '06 though. I like the rear alot better anyway. I think I will stick to my 4.4i for now but if you are looking for an X5 and want to buy new...I say don't hesitate at all to go for the E70.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:47 PM

Well...I saw one this weekend and (although it was a 3.0si) It didn't make me want to trade in my '06 at all. I saw one at the L.A. auto show (a 4.8i with 20' rims) and it was very nice, just as nice as my '06 though. I like the rear alot better anyway. I think I will stick to my 4.4i for now but if you are looking for an X5 and want to buy new...I say don't hesitate at all to go for the E70. And BTW...The doors closed just as well as my E60...I think it's because the E53's doors close like a tank...
Old 12-09-2006, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I personally don't like the look of the new X5's, I was let down.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: Monaco Blue 2007 X5
Thumbs up I'm not sure I ever had mixed feelings...

After months of waiting, I finally ordered my 2007 X5 today. As this will be my first BMW, I am very excited. A quick breakdown: 3.0si, Monaco Blue/Beige Nevada interior, Premium, Sport, Rear Climate, Comfort Access, and Nav.

While I am not sure that I ever had mixed feelings about the new X5's, I can say that I did a little due diligence and test drove the following: Lexus RX 350 & Mazda MDX. While the 350 & MDX did cost less, it was apparent to me that they were inferior vehicles, or at least in a completely different class (perhaps why they cost less). I know that reliability and included options may say otherwise, but they really didn't match up to the BMW - at least for me. Maybe its all mental and I'm easily fooled.

The X5 3.0si is a great vehicle (albiet expensive). I will agree though, the optional 3rd row seat is a big waste of $1700... which is why I didn't get it... fortunately, by the time I have enough children to need a 3rd row seat, I'll be ready for a new car... and maybe I could obtain a surplus Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

Finally, a quick thanks to everyone in the forum. Info on everything from MACO's to the ever present pricing sheets has helped me negotiate a great deal - and really understand the SAV I've ordered.