Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
Question Need some advise on 2007 X5 4.8 options

Trying to decide on an X5, since some dealers have these coming in with different options, and don’t want to wait to order one. Some questions, since some of these aren’t explained very well on BMW brochure:

Active steering – is it a good feature if doing both city and highway driving?
Is it worth $1250

Active ventilated seats – is this the multi-adjustment seat, including extra pad for thighs, and with air-conditioning and vibration as in the 7?

Cold weather package – what exactly is a ski bag? Is it the pass through hole starting at the back with sort of a mesh cover- like in a 7? I know this also has heated steering wheel and seats.

3rd row seats – if there is no space-save spare – where is the spare?

Sport package – specifically: Active Roll Stabilization active stabilizer bars, Electronic Damping Control variable rate electromagnetic shock absorbers. What is effect of this? Is it automatic or is there an adjustment you can make?

If an X5 has Sport package with 10-way power and 2-way manual sport seats , and an X5 has Active ventilated seats with 20-way (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support), does this mean that this is now a 20-way seat rather than a 10-way seat?
Advertisement
Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM
SWB3

Mein Auto: 2014 i8 and some others
Active steering: I like it but some will argue it takes feel away, I would suggest going to the dealer and asking to test drive a vehicle with it before buying. Even if not an X5 you can get an idea how it feels and works in a car with active steering

Active ventilated seats: I can't comment on the ventilated seats but have active seats and feel they are something of a neat novelty, but novelty none the less.

Cold weather package: Think you are right with your assessment. Heated steering wheel makes it all worth it IMO.

3rd row reat: Wow what a disapointment. I ordered mine with this but decided to check the dealers out and after that had the option removed. If you have very young children it may work for you. BMW is on the edge of false advertising with this option it should be called what it is "Third row child seats". With the third row the vehicle comes with run-flat tires and has no spare.

Sport package: I have active roll stabalization in my 6 which has some sort of counter rotating motors on the stabilizer bars which when they sense the vehicle leaning apply rotation to keep it flat around the corner, it really does work well. I do not know if it is adjustable in the X5 I don't notice any difference when switching to sport mode in the 6. Can't comment on the shocks but suspect it is similar to the cadillac system which has been out for years.

10 way versus 20 way ?: I am not sure I understand the question but will tell you aside from the novelty of the active seats there are multiple other functions which come with this seat which make it worth having they are the most comfortable seat I have ever had. One feature I really like besides the adjustable side bolsters is the hinge point in the center of the seat back which allows for adjusting the shoulders area to a different angle than the lower back portion.

I don't know if this helps you much but hope it did.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:51 PM

Yes. this did help.

Thanks!

Concerning my question about the 10-way vs. 20-way seats:

"If an X5 has Sport package with 10-way power and 2-way manual sport seats , and an X5 has Active ventilated seats with 20-way (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support), does this mean that this is now a 20-way seat rather than a 10-way seat?"

What I meant was the sport package info says that it has 10-way seats, and the Active Ventilated seat package info says that this has a 20-way seat, so I am assuming that the 20-way seat will now supercede the 10-way seat, so that if a sport X5 has the Active Seat option, the X5 will have 20-way seats. Does this sound correct?
Old 12-24-2006, 07:14 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Yes. this did help.

Thanks!

Concerning my question about the 10-way vs. 20-way seats:

"If an X5 has Sport package with 10-way power and 2-way manual sport seats , and an X5 has Active ventilated seats with 20-way (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support), does this mean that this is now a 20-way seat rather than a 10-way seat?"

What I meant was the sport package info says that it has 10-way seats, and the Active Ventilated seat package info says that this has a 20-way seat, so I am assuming that the 20-way seat will now supercede the 10-way seat, so that if a sport X5 has the Active Seat option, the X5 will have 20-way seats. Does this sound correct?
That sounds right to me...
Old 12-24-2006, 07:45 PM

How do you like your 2006 4.8 X5?
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
How do you like your 2006 4.8 X5?
Oh, we simply love it - my uncle from Germany (he owns an E39 528iA) visited us a month ago and he loved driving that car - he test-drove our other two cars as well, but the X5 was his favourite - I also offered him my M5 for the 3 weeks he stayed here with my aunt - but no, he wanted the X5..

I've visited our local dealership a few days ago for a recall on my M5. They had a 2007 X5 4.8 in stock and I have to say, I really like that car. The new technical features, the nice interior (stitching in the doors) - I guess BMW did a good job on that one, too. Let's see what will follow as new is-version..
Old 12-25-2006, 12:29 AM
SWB3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan View Post
Let's see what will follow as new is-version..
It won't help me as I have the standard 4.8 on order but have you seen any info on the4.8 is and that they are in fact coming out with it? I would be interested if you can direct me to it, thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2006, 12:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 3.0si
Yep, 20 way seats supercede the 10 way seats. Since both the sports and active ventilated packages offer seats, isn't there double dipping on price?

Also, is anyone having trouble building a X5 with premium, active, and bamboo trim on BMW's website?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:53 AM

More questions

I've seen people refer to the current 4.8 as a 4.8 and a 4.8is in posts. Is the 4.8is the bi-turbo version (an M-car) which is not out yet?

Is the shape of the seats in the sports package different than the regular seats or is just the leather different?

I have seen some passionate discussion threads on the sport package in general. At $3600, is this package worth it on the X5?

Concerning the seats, with Sports Package and Active Ventilated Seats , this either means one of two things - which is correct?
1. Assuming the shape of the seats is different in the Sport package, somehow they are putting additional adjustments into the sports seats other than the 10-way power and 2-way manual sport seats, so that the sports seats have 20-way power front seats (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support)
OR
2. The seats are the standard shape seats with 20-way power front seats (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support).

Not having seen the car with these two options it is hard to tell which is correct. Has anyone seen an X5 or have an X5 with the sport package that can tell me the difference in seats?
Old 12-25-2006, 11:58 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by swb3 View Post
It won't help me as I have the standard 4.8 on order but have you seen any info on the4.8 is and that they are in fact coming out with it? I would be interested if you can direct me to it, thanks in advance.
I'm only referring to rumours, but I was told we won't get a M-version but a twin-turbo version of the new X5 as new is-version (many people believe the current 4.8 takes over the 4.8is but, as you know, that's not the case. It's the replacement for the old 4.4).

That might happen in late 2007 or in 2008 - as I said, rumours so far so that's just guessing...it's for sure though that we will see a more powerful version of the new X5...
Old 12-25-2006, 05:18 PM
SWB3

Quote:
1. Assuming the shape of the seats is different in the Sport package, somehow they are putting additional adjustments into the sports seats other than the 10-way power and 2-way manual sport seats, so that the sports seats have 20-way power front seats (16 seat positions plus 4-way power lumbar support)

I believe this is correct. For example. My 6 has the sports package but lacks the adjustments the M5 has in the side bolsters and the hinge point in the center of the back. You might want to go in and ask the dealer to show you the two different seats. IMO the 20 way is the way to go it allows for so many more adjustments to obtain maximum comfort. BMW could do a better job illustrating the difference between these seats. I could take a picture of the 20 way but am not sure I could capture the diffences so you could see them. Let me know I'd try if you want.
Old 12-25-2006, 05:20 PM
SWB3

Quote:
That might happen in late 2007 or in 2008 - as I said, rumours so far so that's just guessing...it's for sure though that we will see a more powerful version of the new X5...
When they come out with the more powerful version it will kick a..! I couldn't believe the power in the standard 4.8 when I test drove it.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: NA
Or you can wait for the M-sport Package when it is out in 07.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:35 AM

Quote:
I believe this is correct. For example. My 6 has the sports package but lacks the adjustments the M5 has in the side bolsters and the hinge point in the center of the back. You might want to go in and ask the dealer to show you the two different seats. IMO the 20 way is the way to go it allows for so many more adjustments to obtain maximum comfort. BMW could do a better job illustrating the difference between these seats. I could take a picture of the 20 way but am not sure I could capture the diffences so you could see them. Let me know I'd try if you want.
Thanks for the offer. Rather than putting you to the bother, I'll see if I can see these at a dealer.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:50 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
When they come out with the more powerful version it will kick a..! I couldn't believe the power in the standard 4.8 when I test drove it.
Oh yeah, that will be fun..
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 PM
BMW Fanatic

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Oh yeah, that will be fun..
But an X6 will be even more fun.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:24 PM
In Waiting: X5 on order

Mein Auto: Audi allroad
on the seats... The sports package adds adjustable under thigh support (technically under your quads)... The 20 way is a completely different seat -

If you get the active ventilated seating package, it includes the 20 way seats, ventilated leather, and active support for the driver seat- I believe that the active seat on the driver side supposedly shifts with the vehicle....

'07 X5 4.8i On Order w/Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|Tech|Rear Climate|Rear Heat|3rd Row|Sirius