Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 12-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: RX300
Question I am so~~~~ lost.....

Hi
I was wondering if anyone can give me some info on ED.
I am thinking of getting either 325ci or 330ci but don't know anything about ED.
Am i ordering the car here? and picking up in Germany???
If so, can anyone tell me where the local dealer is in NYC???
How much would it cost??? (total)
what do i need in order to take ED???
How long do i need to stay in germany???
Can anyone be kind enough to tell me the whole ED process in detail???
I would really, really appreciate it ya'll.....
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2002, 11:53 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Re: I am so~~~~ lost.....

Quote:
Originally posted by bimmerlover
Am i ordering the car here? and picking up in Germany???
Yes, you order it here. You pick it up there, drive it around for a while and enjoy Europe, and then turn the car in at the pier. They then ship it to your dealer in the US, where you pick it up.
Quote:
How much would it cost??? (total)
Somewhat less than the same car initially delivered to you in the US - normally you can take a European vacation and still have some money left over compared to a US delivery. You can get exact pricing from your dealer - the difference varies depending on the model.
Quote:
If so, can anyone tell me where the local dealer is in NYC???
There are a few to chose from (assuming you mean all of NYC, not just Manhattan). If you go to http://www.bmwusa.com and click on "Locate a BMW center" at the bottom of the window, you can get a list of dealers.
Quote:
Can anyone be kind enough to tell me the whole ED process in detail???
This should get you started: http://www.bmwusa.com/site_layout/vi.../overview.html
Old 12-18-2002, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D
try this
http://www.bariaur.com/e39/EDsavings.html
Old 12-18-2002, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330i; OB/Sand
Re: I am so~~~~ lost.....

Just think of it as buying a car through a dealer, as you would with any other car -- so you can go through any dealer. The only difference if that you pick up the car in Germany, drive it around for a while (0 to 30 days, if you stay longer you have to pay the insurance), drop it off in Germany, and then you pick it up at the dealer once it gets stateside, 3-6 weeks later if you're in NYC. You do get a discount because there's a lower invoice price, but you negotiate the price just as you would with any other car purchase. I recently did a ED delivery through one of the New York area dealerships, so if you want more details PM me. Good luck.

Last edited by rkny; 12-18-2002 at 09:09 AM.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:27 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Re: Re: I am so~~~~ lost.....

Quote:
Originally posted by rkny
Just think of it as buying a car through a dealer, as you would with any other car -- so you can go through any dealer. The only difference if that you pick up the car in Germany, drive it around for a while (0 to 30 days, if you stay longer you have to pay the insurance), drop it off in Germany, and then you pick it up at the dealer once it gets stateside, 3-6 weeks later if you're in NYC. You do get a discount because there's a lower invoice price, but you negotiate the price just as you would with any other car purchase. I recently did a ED delivery through one of the New York area dealerships, so if you want more details PM me. Good luck.
slight correction, after driving it around, drop off the car at 1 of 19 locations in Europe....yoiur choice where

rkny's car and mine are traveling pals, being picked up in Munich the same day and then having ridden the high seas on board the Don Juan back to the US.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: '02 330i; OB/Sand
oops --good catch beauport -- that's actually one of the great selling points of the ED program -- you can drop it off in many places in Europe -- so you can plan any European vacation you desire (though you might want to avoid drop-offs in Italy because they drive your car back to Germany as oppose to other locations where they truck your car to port).

Hey Beauport -- how's the steel gray beauty? my car's been a total champ so far -- handles weekends in Vermont and mundane errands around the city with equal aplomb. As a reward for handling the messy stuff of the last couple of weeks, I gave him a full detailing last weekend -- tipped the guy at my garage to let me use the hose they have -- I think I've found a solution to car washes in NYC.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:20 AM
Color blind photographer

Mein Auto: 2010 X3 MT Space Gray
Quote:
Originally posted by rkny

Hey Beauport -- how's the steel gray beauty? my car's been a total champ so far -- handles weekends in Vermont and mundane errands around the city with equal aplomb. As a reward for handling the messy stuff of the last couple of weeks, I gave him a full detailing last weekend -- tipped the guy at my garage to let me use the hose they have -- I think I've found a solution to car washes in NYC.
The cars been great, just went past 2500 miles. DC got a good blast of winter early and it solved my dilemma about whether to get snow tires. I got a 2nd set of rims/snow tires and it now does great in snow and wet (I have the 18" summer rims/tires which were horrible in the snow). Luckily I got her ready detailing wise before winter arrived with 3 coats of Zaino. I like your idea of the garage for the times I can't wash it myself, I'll have to find one. Usually if it isn't too cold out I'll run a hose from inside the house with warm water. To see what happened just after the 1200 break-in, luckily no smokies were around.
Look Here
Old 12-18-2002, 02:22 PM
BMW Fan

Mein Auto: '02 Z3 M Coupe
You can stay in Europe for as short as you want or as long (30days included)
Old 12-19-2002, 08:04 AM
Patented Worldwide

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally posted by DCC
You can stay in Europe for as short as you want or as long (30days included)
Actually, the cap is 6 months under the ED program....else you get hit with a hefty VAT tax

2004 330d (in Deutschland)
metalic silver/black leather
damn near fully loaded