Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-14-2007, 02:05 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
M3 newbie with some questions.

Hey guys, I just want to say hi. I got a 04 Silver 6-speed with 17K miles on it.
Coming over from a 350Z, gotta say that this car is real nice, faster and it rides smoother, it's superior in every way.....except the gearbox

Anyways, before the Search police calls me out, I want to say that I have searched all these topics and didn't find the answer that I was looking for. So, please bear with me.

1) Is there any downside or disadvantages to the CDV mod? I am ordering one on Monday, but I just can't see BMW putting such device on their cars for this long period of time without evaluating the necessities of it.

2) I got the so called "premium sound" with a audio button on the center console. The manual doesn't really say why, but what does it do exactly? I mean, it sounds better ON, but how? And also, why don't BMW just eliminate the button and leave it ON all the time?

3) How does the SOS/BMW Assist thing work? I put it a few times the other day, no one came and rescue me.

4) All of the bimmers that I've be in had a nice solid sound/feel when you shut the door, kinda like heavy metal wrapped in thick leather hitting each other. But mine sounds clunky, like there is lack of lubrication at the door locks. IS IT NORMAL?
Ads by Google
Old 01-14-2007, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 M3 ZCP
1. There is some debate, but most people feel it's one of the most worthwhile mods you can do. The CDV is designed to dampen drive-line shock. The debate is, as you stated, BMW engineers put it there for a reason. Why should I remove it? You might want to do a search on CDV to get a better picture.

2. You can download the owners manual by registering in the Owners Circle area of the BMW website.

3. You have to subscribe to the service. Your dealer or BMW NA can help you with that.

4. Don't know about that one. Your is still under warrantee, take it in.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 Coupe
#2 answer....The audio button on the dash tries to emulate surround sound in the cabin. Some people like that kind of sound and some don't, so they include a button to turn it off and on. If you have the button and you are listening to an FM station say....as the station starts to fade, it will sound so much better if you turn off the audio button. It won't sound as statically, if that's a word....he he.

The extra button is also BMW's way of trying to justify the extra $675 for the garbage HK system.