Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 335i - Ti Silver
Thieves tried to steal my car...and still have the keys

to be brief. home was invaded as i was out of town and wife was asleep. they took all kinds of goodies including LCD tv, iPods, Ipod speakers, etc.. . went into my wifes room as she slept and went thru her purse.

they also got my keys. cops couldnt get into my car, because they locked the door and i had the other key. i fly home that night, check out my car which is amazingly still there. everything from the glove box is on my seat, even a blackberry that i dont use anymore. they stole my iPod of course, and...The Owners Manual.

So i figure they couldnt figure out how to work the SMG to start it, and that they plan on studying and coming back. I take my car, park it in the small space we have off the street and block it with my other car. All appears well that morning. That day i take it to the dealer, get all the other keys disabled (this only disables the electronics, not the ability to open the door). That night, i park it on the street. I debate putting a sign in the window that says GO F___ Yourself; but im afraid theyll trash it. Next morning, i can see from they house they tried to get it again, as the emergency brake is down.

They also stole my registration whish was with the owners man book. this meant they could possibly go to a dealer with a fake ID and get keys made for the car. Anyhow, i am replacing the cores and everything at the price of $1000. Not sure if insurance is going to pay or not.

the only good thing, is that my wife didnt wake up that night and they didnt touch her. If i would hae been home, someone would have probably been killed.
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
\m/ (>.<) \m/

Mein Auto: Duh!
Wow! That's quite a story. I hope your wife was OK.

FWIW when I got a second key from my dealer they made me show my drivers licence before they'd give they key to me (along with checking all my car papers).
Old 01-11-2007, 06:17 AM

Right, but they could have had any info they want on me, and make a fake DL. but that will be resolved Friday....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3lissa View Post
Wow! That's quite a story. I hope your wife was OK.

FWIW when I got a second key from my dealer they made me show my drivers licence before they'd give they key to me (along with checking all my car papers).
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 AM
Alpina Addict

Mein Auto: '11 Alpina B5 Biturbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventoux View Post
So i figure they couldnt figure out how to work the SMG to start it,
Wow... you've just discovered yet another SMG advantage! Agreed, it's not for everyone.

I hope everything will turn out well, especially the car insurance issue.

"Really skilled drivers have smashed bugs on their side windows too" - Walter Röhrl
Old 01-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: '09 M3 Jerez/6MT
Sorry to hear about that! I travel a fair amount myself and have the comfort of two loud and protective German Shephards for when I'm away. Glad your wife was unhurt. Scary as it my seem, the bastards could very well have known you were away and waited until then to break in. Definitely time for some extra precautions the next time you travel. Stay safe.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:54 PM
E Nomine.....Das Omen!

Mein Auto: Oxford Green BMW E39 523i
WOW! Hope the wife is ok.

Stinks of scum of the earth who belong to some sort of chop shop,they wouldn't work in an iron lung!

I have the K9 (black cocker spaniel ) in the garage at night,he goes of at the drop of hat!
Old 01-12-2007, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto: 318 IS, 320 i
WOW!!! That sucks... Soundsl like Stakeout time to me.... =)
Old 01-12-2007, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Royal Red 540i 6spd
sorry to hear about your situation.

Pics of wife?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM

yeah, hang on while i upload them
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo34 View Post

Pics of wife?
Old 01-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Blackpearl 330i, DF

Mein Auto: 330i
Good everything is fine...

And good luck this burglars are ignorant to SMG´s. These people don´t even deserve the air they breathe.

Probably it´s a good idea tu put a camera pointing to your car and record them if they try again to take your car. That way you will have solid evidence so police files them to prision.

Hope nothing bad happens again.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Wow. Thank god they didn't hurt your wife. I'd stay up all night everynight until I had a chance to blast those scumbags.

Just the thought of them in your house while you're gone. You never know what people are capable of these days.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X5
I sure hope you have gotten a security system installed. One of the things I learned from days as an "urban pioneer" is that they will come in and take the small stuff and take inventory of the larger things. Once done, they will be back to pick up the bigger things as soon as they have arranged a buyer. Typical break-in time used to be around 11 am. and always in the winter when there were fewer folks on the street. I sure would be building the layers (alarm, good doors, windows and locks - bars if necessary, a dog if you want a new member in your family) to keep them out since they had no reluctance in coming in while your family was home.

I would keep in close contact with my neighbors and trade numbers and let them know when you are gone and if you are expecting any guests. Your town may even have a Neighborhood Watch program. Those can be helpful as some times the cops will come in and tell you how to add simple security measures to slow them down. And that is the issue. You can slow them down, but you cannot keep them from coming in.

Course there is a reason I have a 380 in a concealed pocket of my bag. Stuff is stuff and can always be replaced.

Once again, I sure am glad to hear your wife is safe. Take good care of you and yours.
~n

Last edited by Na Na; 01-16-2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: .
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeelo34 View Post

Pics of wife?
Have you no shame?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
Arrive Alive w/ my e92 M3

Mein Auto: E90SG E92M3SG
sorry to hear your bad luck, w/c reminds me to better get my LoJack re-registered under my name

Quote:
to be brief. home was invaded as i was out of town and wife was asleep. they took all kinds of goodies including LCD tv, iPods, Ipod speakers, etc.. . went into my wifes room as she slept and went thru her purse.

they also got my keys. cops couldnt get into my car, because they locked the door and i had the other key. i fly home that night, check out my car which is amazingly still there. everything from the glove box is on my seat, even a blackberry that i dont use anymore. they stole my iPod of course, and...The Owners Manual.

So i figure they couldnt figure out how to work the SMG to start it, and that they plan on studying and coming back. I take my car, park it in the small space we have off the street and block it with my other car. All appears well that morning. That day i take it to the dealer, get all the other keys disabled (this only disables the electronics, not the ability to open the door). That night, i park it on the street. I debate putting a sign in the window that says GO F___ Yourself; but im afraid theyll trash it. Next morning, i can see from they house they tried to get it again, as the emergency brake is down.

They also stole my registration whish was with the owners man book. this meant they could possibly go to a dealer with a fake ID and get keys made for the car. Anyhow, i am replacing the cores and everything at the price of $1000. Not sure if insurance is going to pay or not.

the only good thing, is that my wife didnt wake up that night and they didnt touch her. If i would hae been home, someone would have probably been killed.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 645 to 530 to 2011 528
where do you live?... i will gladly "hang out" for a few nights in the street. I could use the stress relief of beating these guys taking their wallets... then i would hope lightning wouldn't hit their house and it catch on fire...

The last time 2 people answered my door in masks and said trick or treat in July... cought the beating of their lives... boy were they surprised when me (6'6" and my brother 6'2) answered the door at 1 am.

Ahhh Dirty Jersey
Old 01-16-2007, 11:11 PM
Pessimistic Enthusiast

Mein Auto: Audi A4-E39 530i-Audi A8
^^I'd be down for this as well.

"Actions have reactions, don't be quick to judge
You may not know the hardships people don't speak of
It's best to step back, and observe with couth
For we all must meet our moment of truth"
Old 01-17-2007, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: E30 325i Sport & E46 M3
seems like your daily/weekly routine is being figured out and you're being watched
as long as they have the keys, they will most likely try you again to get the car. if you driving it daily be sure to bring it home on empty (with the light on) for the next couple of days.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 05 BMW M3
to hell with the car...they could have done REALLY bad things....I say install lowjack or something and try to nail these guys and get them off the street...I don't know how well lowjack works though....

I would rather put the guys behind bars...than try to beat them at their own game..

I always wanted an alarm system that involved a shotgun shell embedded into the steering wheel...that would fire off after a couple minutes of un-authorized entry...
Old 01-17-2007, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: e46 M3 Dinan / e70 X5 35
that sux...glad to hear the wife is OK...

Not to steal the thread but does anyone know how to verify if LoJack is installed in the car? I also have a 2004 M3 I bought w/ 2700 miles which included Dinan upgrades and Sirius for sure. But much like the Sirius paperwork I got (basically a 1 page copy of the cover of the manual) I also got the same thing for LoJack. I had forgotten about confirming whether or not I have LoJack but the OP is motivating me to check it out. Any help is appreciated.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:49 AM

they caught them... Detective said that one perp told him they got $250 for the things of mine they took!! wtf?? I would have given him $300 just to stay out...

http://arrestinquiryweb.co.mecklenbu...astDayArrests=

3 arrested in burglaries, break-ins
Police link suspects to 11 incidents since mid-December
GREG LACOUR
glacour@charlotteobserver.com

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police arrested three men Friday and charged them in connection with a string of recent burglaries and home break-ins in the Dilworth, Myers Park and Elizabeth neighborhoods in central Charlotte.

Rodney Dewayne Love, 23; Demareo Whitley, 18; and Donte Bernard Austin, 31, were charged with assorted counts of first-degree burglary and breaking and entering, said police Capt. Mike Campagna. Officers were booking them into the Mecklenburg County jail late Friday, he said.

Investigators have tied the three men to six burglaries and five break-ins since Dec. 12, Campagna said. In the burglaries, one or more of the men broke into homes while they were occupied, he said.

Investigators also recovered some of the items stolen from homes, such as laptop computers and large-screen televisions, Campagna said, although he declined to give more details until the investigation is complete. Police may charge one or more of the three in other thefts, he said.

Police said they hoped the arrests will help quell a rise in Charlotte property crimes. The number of residential burglaries rose by 11 percent in 2006 over 2005, including a 51 percent increase in the North Division, which covers northern Charlotte and much of northern Mecklenburg County. Myers Park, Elizabeth and Dilworth have been in the Providence and Central divisions.

Police said they're working with neighborhoods and businesses on security measures, such as closing curtains or blinds in windows to conceal valuables. They also recommend trimming landscaping and adding outdoor lights to give potential thieves fewer places to hide.

Because of the sharp increase in the North Division, officers planned to go door-to-door in the McIntyre neighborhood off Reames Road today to talk to residents about security measures.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
they caught them...
Great! Did you swap out all the locks? (I guess they could've sold or given your key to some other slimeball...)
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport
Old 01-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X5
Good for you!

If the cops are going to go door to door it suggests there may be a viable theft network who has set up business in your town. So I would echo what Vinny said about the motion detection lights - and every other preventable measure you can add to the house.

I just keep thinking what a great thing it was that your wife didn't wake up while they were in the house.

While I find it ironic that their names are Love and Donte, it is rather troubling that they can be out on bail for less than $2k.

Great they got them though! Congrats.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:24 AM

yep, cost me $1000, im told homeowners wont pay for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
Great! Did you swap out all the locks? (I guess they could've sold or given your key to some other slimeball...)
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 AM

doesnt suprise me. if you look at the dropdown list, it has their arrest record. They will keep stealing, until one of them kills someone, or they get killed. Hopefully its them that get it... If i would have been home, its more than likely one or more people would be dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Na View Post
Good for you!

If the cops are going to go door to door it suggests there may be a viable theft network who has set up business in your town. So I would echo what Vinny said about the motion detection lights - and every other preventable measure you can add to the house.

I just keep thinking what a great thing it was that your wife didn't wake up while they were in the house.

While I find it ironic that their names are Love and Donte, it is rather troubling that they can be out on bail for less than $2k.

Great they got them though! Congrats.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Dark Force

Mein Auto: 2004 C230k (SOLD), 2007 5
Damn thats scary....I am glad they didnt wake your wife up....it could turn out nasty. Did you not have a home security system? Well at least they are off the street now.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 BMW X5 35d Diesel (Current)
Prem/Tech/RB/RC/3rd row/ Black 20"s
2002 Porsche Carrera 4 cabriolet (Current)
H&R, 19" VIP Modular VR05
2007 530i Black Sapphire (Returned)
Steptronic/ Sport Pkg/ Premium Pkg/ NAV/ M Tech/ Black 20's