Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-17-2002, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4,328,Mini Cooper S,Smar
Smile Hard top problem

12-31-02 Update on hardtop problem. At the front of the hardtop there are plastic covers on each side. Removing these covers reveal 3 screws on each side that hold the pins that seat on each side of the windshield. Loosened the screws, stood on the roof and re-tighthened the screws, and the roof is now almost flat. There is no wind noise, except when going 75+. Therefore, do not overlook these screws when initially installing the hard top.

Bought a used hard top, and it appears the top front is warped. At 50+ I get a wind whistling sound right above the visor. You can see a gentle curve on the hard top above the front windshield gasket, so it isn't sealing and wind is getting in.
I believe the hard top is a composite. Can someone confirm? Is it epoxy, or acrylic etc. I am thinking that localized heat with weight will push it back down, and seal it against the gasket. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by kcsails; 12-31-2002 at 12:21 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 12-17-2002, 11:00 PM
Equine 1/4 miler ancestor

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster, 1998 M3
Before you try anything more extensive, you may want to check how both the front attachment screws are seated -- if you haven't already checked this.

Also, do you have the full install and mounting instructions. If not, see this thread for a zip file containing the full set:
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...threadid=41523
Old 12-22-2002, 02:00 PM
Hanging in there ...

Mein Auto: '02 M Roadster
Purchased the hard top along with car including dealer installation. First top had cosmetic problems which they buffed out, and it did not fit square in the rear, with a lot of overhang on the right as comapred to the left. A service visit to adjust it found that the top was warped near the front. A second one was ordered, but the headliner of that one was defective, so they synthesized a new top using the headliner from warped top #1 mounted in top #2. Number 2 now fits square, but makes a lot of creaking and popping over bumps, unlike top #1. Top #3 is then ordered with approval of BMW technician. Tomorrow I go back to the dealer to have #3 installed. Keep your fingers crossed ...

This tale is only cautionary, as BMW Seattle and BMW NA has been 110% attentive in getting this resolved. Stuff happens, and they are doing a great job un-stuffing it. Kudos. I hope that your top is under warranty. Also, if the front screws are not really tight, it can rattle and make a lot of wind noise.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Hanging in there ...

Stuff really does happen ...

My Christmas Present:

roadfly post
Old 12-25-2002, 10:52 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
Ouch!

Hopefully they'll get it fixed good as new for you.
Photo gallery
Old 12-25-2002, 11:44 PM
Hanging in there ...

Thanks. It appears that there is some frame damage. Won't know until next week. More as it evolves.

'02 M Roadster Steel grey / black / grey
Old 12-26-2002, 02:40 PM
Confirmed Lap Dog!

Send a message via AIM to JimR
Mein Auto: 2000 M Roadster
Just saw your Roadfly photos

Oh Chris, what a bummer.

Such a sweet looking car to get so banged up.

Sure hope everything works out.

At least you've already got some good memories tied up in it - that'll have to last for a while.

Jim in Seattle
Old 12-26-2002, 03:06 PM
Hanging in there ...

Hey Jim! Good to hear form you. Trust that all is well.

Yea, they can't replace that car, at least not the memories of me and my daughter taking that road trip in it. I have no idea what is going to happen, I'll keep you posted.

Cheers!

'02 M Roadster Steel grey / black / grey