Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-26-2002, 10:02 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Slow windows

While testing John F's controller, I noticed that the drivers side window went up and down slower than the passenger side.
Z3's are famous for this problem. Both the drivers and passenger side.
Based on posts I've seen, BMW's solution for this is changing out the window motor/regulator.
I ordered a new motor/regulator.
Had the door apart for this and other things.
The motor/regulator swap out is not that obvious. No info on this in the BMW repair info. (TIS CD).
While adding the other mods to the door, I noticed some black powder underneath the front window track and motor/regulator.
I assumed that it was from the motor/regulator. I'm now convinced that it is black powder from the front rubber window track being chewed apart by the window going up and down based on misalignment or whatever.
There is no lubrication in the front track on my drivers door, I assume by design. Haven't checked the passenger door yet. I assume it won't have any lube either.
So rather then changing the motor/regulator, I decided to try lubing (just a little) the front window track using Super Lube (Teflon content) grease.
So far, this appears to have solved the problem, based on the drivers side now slightly beating the passenger side on the up and down stuff.
Interesting.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 12-26-2002 at 10:29 PM.
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2002, 11:37 PM
Living on the redline

Mein Auto: a BMW killer
you just have to be careful about sand and grit getting caught up in the lube and creating a long term problem. You'd be surprised at all the dirt & dust that gets into the inner door area.

Some custom teflon parts might be a better long term solution (I knew you needed another project)
Old 12-28-2002, 02:48 AM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally posted by TeamZ4

Some custom teflon parts might be a better long term solution (I knew you needed another project)
It's on the list.
The stop, I designed for you is now made out of aluminum, dry film coated in black.
email me your address, and I'll send you one for your new Z4.
Will send you a Delrin AF bushed pedal to go with it when it comes in.