Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 12-18-2002, 02:09 PM
M coupe

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
Scary S54 experience

Most of you know of my EML and SES light issues (the car is going in on Friday). Today I was accelerating on the 605N freeway and the DSC light came on as did my friend the EML light. Then the car bucked a bit and failed to respond to throttle input and started decelerating. I had to make an emergency stop to re-start the car and go on my way.

Needless to say no more driving it until BMW fixes it. Should I be reporting this potentially dangerous event to someone? Thank God my wife was not at the wheel.
Ads by Google
Old 12-18-2002, 03:32 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
I'm sure I missed it, but . . .

how many miles on the car?

Obviously a pain. Have you had them back out the Dinan software yet?
Photo gallery
Old 12-18-2002, 07:18 PM
M coupe

33k on it now, but someone else had the EML, SES lights on a stock M with 15k on it.
Old 12-18-2002, 11:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: The Best of Both Worlds
which is the EML light.. a few times this happened to me.. i drive.. then all of a sudden the red battery looking light and the third light came on... not the middle one though.. the power steering seems to be completely dead.. and i have to stop.. and turn off the car and turn it back on.. then everythings fine... no lights, nothing.. this happened to me about 2 -3 times.. can u or anyone tell me what that is? should i take it in to the dealer?
Old 12-19-2002, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
The EML light is hard to miss. It's orange and looks like this:

EML

I'm the other guy with these lights. Well, one of them at least. '01 s54, stock engine and drivetrain, well cared for, 13.7k miles.

Dealer said the codes were being caused by a bad throttle potentiometer. There are two on the fuel rail - one on the front, one on the back. Apparently these provide feedback to the ECU of the throttle's actual position, closing the control circuit. My front pot wasn't reading the same as the back one, so clearly one of them was messed up. I assume they determined the front one was problematic because the rear one was correct? Something like that anyway...

My car has "bucked" as gbrown described when the lights were triggered, but I have never lost throttle response. Sounds wonderful.

You guys seen the rumor mill on .org's m3 board about BMW extending the warranty for these engines to 6yr 100k? If it's true I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I think I'll reserve judgement until 2007.

The part had to be ordered. Hopefully will be installed tomorrow or early next week. I'll post the results. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by DannO; 12-19-2002 at 04:54 AM.
Old 12-19-2002, 09:04 AM
Rest in peace, Coach

Mein Auto: '06 MZ4C, '09 WRX Wagon
Quote:
Originally posted by DannO
The EML light is hard to miss. It's orange and looks like this:

EML

I'm the other guy with these lights. Well, one of them at least. '01 s54, stock engine and drivetrain, well cared for, 13.7k miles.

Dealer said the codes were being caused by a bad throttle potentiometer. There are two on the fuel rail - one on the front, one on the back. Apparently these provide feedback to the ECU of the throttle's actual position, closing the control circuit. My front pot wasn't reading the same as the back one, so clearly one of them was messed up. I assume they determined the front one was problematic because the rear one was correct? Something like that anyway...

My car has "bucked" as gbrown described when the lights were triggered, but I have never lost throttle response. Sounds wonderful.

You guys seen the rumor mill on .org's m3 board about BMW extending the warranty for these engines to 6yr 100k? If it's true I don't know if I should laugh or cry... I think I'll reserve judgement until 2007.

The part had to be ordered. Hopefully will be installed tomorrow or early next week. I'll post the results. Fingers crossed.
Very common problem on electronic throttles I guess...There's another S54 that I know has had this problem, along with NUMEROUS M54 engines.
"Bench racing" about track times driven by professionals are like a bunch of nerds arguing which Princess Leia is hotter, the slave Leia or the no-bra jail-bait Leia. No matter how compelling your argument is, the plain and simple fact is, none of you will EVER get to hit that.
Old 12-20-2002, 08:42 AM
M coupe

Warranty extension or not, BMW is going to get my M Coupe handed back to them at the end of my lease.

There is also a very good chance I wont be buying another S54 powered BMW too. It's a shame, the M Coupe is an awesome machine.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E92 M3 - MDCT
similar problem

I just had my S54 in for service because of the EML light and the SES light. I had not driven the car for a few weeks and took it out last weekend for a 15 minute ride. Ten minutes in, the EML light came on and after gassing up the SES light came on.

I also have Dinan software installed.

The lights were on and off for a couple of days this week and I took it to the dealer yesterday. The lights were not on at all yesterday and the dealer found NOTHING.

They told me that if it happened again, I should bring it right in with the light on. (Of course, that's what I wanted to do on Monday, when the pricks told me they could not see the car until Thursday)

Let me know how you make out and I'll do the same.

Bob Margolis

2009 E92 M3 / Alpine White / Black Leather / Carbon Leather / M-DCT / 19's / Technology / Premium / Cold Weather / iPod / Smartphone / PDC / Sirius XM
Old 12-20-2002, 07:08 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally posted by gbrown
Warranty extension or not, BMW is going to get my M Coupe handed back to them at the end of my lease.

There is also a very good chance I wont be buying another S54 powered BMW too. It's a shame, the M Coupe is an awesome machine.
I believe that, in true weaselly lawyer fashion, the extension applies only to "lubricated" parts of the engine, meaning that throttles wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty.
Old 12-27-2002, 09:58 PM
M coupe

Shes back....20 miles so far and no EML lights.

What was replaced this 3rd..or is it 4th time around?

13-63-1-402-143 Switch
12-72-7-831-529 Throttle Actuator

Also noted: replaced potentiometers (this I have seen before).

And in typical Long Beach BMW fashion..driving around I think shes much louder than before....pop the hatch and the rear battery cover / tool cover is off as is the plastic cover covering the battery itself is off..one bolt missing. Lovely. Can't wait until customer service calls me on this one.

PS dinan software still installed and from the feedback I have received is not a potential cause of the EML / SES light issues.
Old 12-28-2002, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: //M Coupes
Took mine in to have the front throttle position sensor replaced today. No more EMLs, no more SES. We went on a "spirited drive" west of Orlando today - clocked 110 or so miles and nary a stutter. Got to clear her throat pretty good too... nice.

Glad to hear things are looking good for you as well, gbrown.