Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 12-19-2004, 08:43 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
E46 Replacement Battery Info Here

I have seen this mentoned in older threads, but a quick search for "new battery" and "replacement battery" did not identify the thread... so thought I would post a new thread with a clear title for others.

Last weekend the battery on my 2003 330i (two years since delivery) started slow cranking, so I decided to replace the battery. I remembered reading in a forum somewhere that Autozone Duralast 49-DL was a direct replacement.

Cruised down to the local Autozone and purchased 49-DL for $64.99 (the sales dude will tell you it is not in his computer and won't fit... but ignore him).

The install was simple and it fits perfectly. The battery even includes the rubber vent tube. You will need to trim about a quarter inch from the battery side of the rubber tube to get clearance for the hold-down bracket. Works great.

Hope this helps some fellow Bimmerfester's looking for a new battery.

P.S. Before someone asks.... I know the car warranty would have replaced the battery, but for $64.99 I did not want to take the day from work to mess with the dealer. Plus this is a higher CCA battery then OEM.
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2006, 04:26 PM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Don't know if you're still around, but if you are...how has this battery held up for you?
moonroof:
Old 11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Nice to know. I was sold an AutoZone battery for $111.24 on 3/27/05 on a car delivered 10/18/00.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:10 PM
325iT got "back"

Mein Auto: 325iT Kid Transport Unit
Weird timing - I see this thread was revived a couple of days ago, and my battery died this morning. Went with the 49DL (thanks for the tip, Alan). Wasn't too sure at first since the DL is a little longer than the OEM battery (a little less than an inch, I'd say) and the drain hose is in a different spot. No issues - went in quickly and fired right up.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite325i View Post
Don't know if you're still around, but if you are...how has this battery held up for you?
Traded the car in on a new E90 in May 2005, so can't help you with longevity info.

Glad this thread was of some help to you folks.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:31 AM
qk

Mein Auto: 6
my battery died today. thanks for the thread! <3

-p.s. i think it was due to my two subwoofers, computer, dvd player, and ps2 =((
Old 11-21-2006, 04:36 PM
I love my beautiful wife.

Mein Auto: '01 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR325iT View Post
Weird timing - I see this thread was revived a couple of days ago, and my battery died this morning. Went with the 49DL (thanks for the tip, Alan). Wasn't too sure at first since the DL is a little longer than the OEM battery (a little less than an inch, I'd say) and the drain hose is in a different spot. No issues - went in quickly and fired right up.
Same here...very easy install.

I had read some posters say the battery was heavier than OEM. I thought the opposite...thought the Duralast was lighter.
moonroof:
Old 11-25-2006, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzeug View Post
my battery died today. thanks for the thread! <3

-p.s. i think it was due to my two subwoofers, computer, dvd player, and ps2 =((
Odd, seeing a lot of batteries dying on the forums this week, mine just went last night!! Thx for the info, gents
Old 12-08-2006, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 323i
Thumbs up Thanks for the info!

Just adding my notch to the recent battery failures... 2000 BMW 323i running fine since May '2000. Tonight, the headlights(Xenons) rapidly blinked and the car won't turn over. The internal lights are going dim and I'm not getting sound from the radio.

I HOPE it's an expiring battery. I'm very thankful for the replacement info in this forum. First thing tomorrow, I'll be looking for this replacement.

Many thanks.
Old 12-25-2006, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 325
My factory battery was dead andI replaced the battery on my e46 with a
DURALAST 49-DL and now I have a "BATTERY LIGHT" that keeps flashing on the dash. It is a 02 with 32k miles.....so I kinda doubt it's the alternator or belt... help?
Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: E39
Would this work on an E39?

The battery indicator shows "black", or "recharge required." Should I just get a new one? The car is now 7 years old.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:23 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mig29 Send a message via AIM to Mig29 Send a message via Yahoo to Mig29
Mein Auto: '01 325Ci
Freaky.

My battery seems to have died today. It was slow cranking yesterday but today it was a no go.

I guess I will be driving to autozone today.

Anybody knows if the battery is a maintenance item? I have extended maint.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
battery

This started last week, my car would not start. So I jumpstarted it. I figured if I drive it to work, it may bring the battery back to life.

i took it for a ride to work, which is about an hour drive one way. (i usually don't drive the car this far since I take public transportation). On the way home, the car almost didn't start, but it did, and i didn't need a jumpstart. AFter that I left the car unused for a week. We went out of town with the other car until last night.

Last night, I started the car and again it was kinda weak, but it starts and it didn't need jumpstarting. I was surprised since the battery kept up for a week.

This morning, however, it wouldn't start at all. There is a clicking sound, that's about it. maybe because last night i only started it, but didn't drive it or leave the engine long enough to have the battery charged.

I peeeled off the sticker on top of the battery and added distilled water and drove it for a like 20 minutes or so. still didn't help, the car wouldn't start.

So i went to Monument AutoParts and coughed up $90 for the ACDelco Battery. Installed it and it's working fine now.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: e46
change codes?

Other than physically swapping out the battey and venting, is there anything else I need to do. Any codes that need to be reset?

Another bimmer battery that died owner,

Philip
Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyle2k View Post
Other than physically swapping out the battey and venting, is there anything else I need to do. Any codes that need to be reset?
Nope... just swap the battery and you are good to go.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: e46
success

Replaced the OEM with the DL-49 from Autozone. 3 tools, 20 minutes (in the ice) and no problems. Tight fit and fired right up. Longevity shouldn't be an issue, but at $59.99 beats the hell out of the $200 from the dealer.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Smile E46 Battery Replacement, too

Actually, Alan's instructions were perfect. The 49-DL from AutoZone fits like a charm -- the whole change process was less than an hour, including purchasing the battery, installing it, and returning the core and I live about 4 miles from the nearest AutoZone. The price in January 2007 was $59.99!

Thanks Alan.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 E46 M3 Cabriolet SMG
The battery in my '02 M3 Cab went out on New Years Eve.

The stealership wanted some outrageous amount of money ($380 I think somthing like that) to replace it. Hacking, coughing, writhing and collapsing onto the floor, I managed to crawl out of there and rescue both my car and myself from their greedy meathooks. Next.

Sears indicated that they don't carry a battery for my car and that the stealer is the only one who carries it.

I almost returned to the rape room but instead decided to try AutoZone. Autozone saved my schphinctor by revealing the lies Sears told me. Not only does AutoZone carry them but this particular location only had one left--which doesn't surprise me after seeing the number of similar postings on this thread.

I purchased "Item no. 603386 - 94R-DLG Gold B 8 Year Battery" and installed it in a matter of minutes. It works perfectly.

The price I paid is what concerns me. I paid $119.00 for mine! WTF!

Someone please tell me that there's a difference between my "Item no. 603386 - 94R-DLG Gold B 8 Year Battery" and the $59.00 batteries some of you have purchased which would account for the price difference. Please!

If not, I'm going to have to go back to Autozone and eat someones lunch.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:49 AM

From their web site it looks like the 49-DL is now $79.99, so you did not get hosed too badly. Looks like 94RDLG has eight year warranty vs. seven on 49-DL.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
From their web site it looks like the 49-DL is now $79.99, so you did not get hosed too badly. Looks like 94RDLG has eight year warranty vs. seven on 49-DL.
Additionally:

Duralast Gold Battery
• Three-year free replacement
• Eight-year prorated warranty
• Up to 875 cold cranking amps
• Up to 1,000 cranking amps

Duralast Battery
• Two-year free replacement
• Seven-year prorated warranty
• Up to 850 cold cranking amps

They seem to be handing out 3 years of "free" jumpstarts with the Gold Battery as well... I'll be picking up a 49-DL soon...
Old 02-20-2007, 01:52 PM
Livin' like Larry!

Mein Auto: 2007 328XiT; 2008 328 CiC
So, I stepped up and got the 49-DL over the weekend... Installation was relatively easy, just had to remove a small white block that held the previous (slightly smaller) battery in place, and trim the vent hose as other have indicated. The only other issue I had was that the clamp that presses down on the battery seemed still allow a little movement even when fully tightened. To alleviate this, I used the Positive post cover that came with the new battery (the old BMW battery cover fit on the new battery, so I used it over the clamp) and placed it under the foot of the clamp... this additional 5mm or so of material was all I needed to get a tight fit. Car cranked right up, no problems. Thanks to the OP for the info!

BTW, I paid $59 plus a $10 core charge... Have to roll by there with one of my other old batteries and get my $10 back!
Old 02-27-2007, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
I just went and bought the 49DL tonight but it didn't come with any tubes as others have mentioned. Did you guys had to ask the sales person for it or .... ? Has anybody tried fitting the original tube over the 49DL's tube connection? Thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj213 View Post
I just went and bought the 49DL tonight but it didn't come with any tubes as others have mentioned. Did you guys had to ask the sales person for it or .... ? Has anybody tried fitting the original tube over the 49DL's tube connection? Thanks.
It came with the tube and a little plastic "L" shaped piece taped to the top of the battery. Did not have to ask for the piece, it just came with the battery.

Did it at least come with the L shaped plastic elbow that pops in the battery top? If you have that the old hose might fit onto the elbow or you could just get a piece of tubing from a hardware store maybe?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i SP, Xenon
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Alan View Post
It came with the tube and a little plastic "L" shaped piece taped to the top of the battery. Did not have to ask for the piece, it just came with the battery.

Did it at least come with the L shaped plastic elbow that pops in the battery top? If you have that the old hose might fit onto the elbow or you could just get a piece of tubing from a hardware store maybe?
Thanks for the reply. Mine did not come with anything but the battery, I'll ask the sales people if they have it stashed somewhere when I take my old one in. Otherwise I'll just find some shrink tubing and use that.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Casey!

Mein Auto: '04 330cic
Will the 49DL fit an '04 330 convertible? Dealer wants $300.28 for a new battery

"Now I guess I'll have to tell 'em...That I've got no cerebellum" - The Ramones, "Teenage Lobotomy"