Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I had it in both spots...

I installed it in btoh the reatr cargo area and the center console. My car is Pre-Wired for Sirius, but it's not installed. I think I sent you a picture of these wires (rear cargo) in a previous email...Let me know if you want it again, but it's just the antenna, 12pin, 6 pin and 3 pin adapters wrapped up..
Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by spm1976 View Post
I installed it in btoh the reatr cargo area and the center console. My car is Pre-Wired for Sirius, but it's not installed. I think I sent you a picture of these wires (rear cargo) in a previous email...Let me know if you want it again, but it's just the antenna, 12pin, 6 pin and 3 pin adapters wrapped up..
Let's troubleshoot by plugging the DICE into the 3/6-pin connectors in the cargo area, then switch the 12-pin connector on the radio if no sound is heard. If there is no change - the module may be defective.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Old 03-10-2007, 12:37 PM

Tried that today and no luck. I even tried the center console again, with every wire combination you can think of. Do you think maybe I have the DSP and that could be my audio problems. Here's pictures of the rear cargo area again.

And the Sirius wires...
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
european auto source

There could be a remote chance the DSP converter is needed - but I haven't see it on a Sirius prewired vehicle yet. With all the troubleshooting - it would narrow it down to either a DSP converter is required, or the possibility of a bad DICE module.

Let me know how you would like to proceed, we're here to help.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: X3
2004 X3 no dsp sat ready and cd changer ready dice install

Guys:

Not sure if this helps, but I have a 2004 X3 no dsp, but Sat radio ready and cd changer ready. I bought the DICE ipod integration kit. I looked and looked but no loose 3 and 6 pin connectors except in the right rear driver side panel just inside the hatch door. I plugged in there, ran the cable the length of my car. I then had controls and text on the display of the radio, but no sound. DICE tech guy suggested I needed a dsp kit or to look for a second set of leads behind the head unit. This wound up being helpful, but not for the reason he thought. Turns out you do need to swap the white connector block out for the one dangling (you have a picture above) that has cd-sars or something like that on it. After I did that, it works perfectly.

DICE support should have been more helpful. I did find some useful stuff about sat radio installs/problems on this forum and on the blitzsafe forum. Taken all together I figured it out. Good luck.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:30 PM

DICE support was excellent..but

we both can't seem to figure out why none of the connections (center & rear) aren't giving me any sound. I also pulled the head unit and switched the white plugs, in basically every combination still with no results. We chalked it up to possibly a faulty module. So I guess I have to wait for the new one to come in and take it from there...
Old 03-20-2007, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 Stick
same problem with twist

Hi, I am having the same issue with HD DICE. However, what is odd is that I have in the center console the 6-pin (labeled CD-sdars), 3-pin and a coaxial cable all bound together and well hidden (some people seem to have two 6-pins and one 3-pin). And, when I went to the back of the head unit, I had nothing plugged into the two lower slots, as compared to what we saw in the earlier photo on this thread. I did find the white CD-sdars connector taped to the other wires, so I put that in the back of the unit as I have seen people recommend (no idea what I am missing with not having the other two harnesses), figuring there was no harm in plugging it in and leaving it there.

I have a similar DSP amplifier in the back as shown in the earlier photo from 3-10-07. I stuck my hand around it to the side completely hidden, and can feel a huge bunch of wires, plus what I believe is a coaxial connection separate from that group nearer to the center of the unit. I've seen previously posted a photo showing this separate cable, indicating that a DSP kit is probably needed, so I think its possible I need the DSP kit. DICE support also suggested this.

So, I am going to try the kit, and will update this thread on the result. I am a little worried about the switched 12v power required for the DSP unit, but I've read there is a purple wire with white stripe in the phone cables in the console, so I presumably will be able to wire the DSP adapter in the console, drop the HD DICE unit under the passenger seat, and then wire the HD antenna to the windshield (hoping that the wire is long enough).

I might also try another battery drain to reset the DICE unit (another tip I've seen), but I would be surprised if that worked (I didnt take the positive terminal off the first time so I might go full bore this time).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, but I thought this might be helpful to others even though I am not there yet.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:39 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandelay2000 View Post
Hi, I am having the same issue with HD DICE. However, what is odd is that I have in the center console the 6-pin (labeled CD-sdars), 3-pin and a coaxial cable all bound together and well hidden (some people seem to have two 6-pins and one 3-pin). And, when I went to the back of the head unit, I had nothing plugged into the two lower slots, as compared to what we saw in the earlier photo on this thread. I did find the white CD-sdars connector taped to the other wires, so I put that in the back of the unit as I have seen people recommend (no idea what I am missing with not having the other two harnesses), figuring there was no harm in plugging it in and leaving it there.

I have a similar DSP amplifier in the back as shown in the earlier photo from 3-10-07. I stuck my hand around it to the side completely hidden, and can feel a huge bunch of wires, plus what I believe is a coaxial connection separate from that group nearer to the center of the unit. I've seen previously posted a photo showing this separate cable, indicating that a DSP kit is probably needed, so I think its possible I need the DSP kit. DICE support also suggested this.

So, I am going to try the kit, and will update this thread on the result. I am a little worried about the switched 12v power required for the DSP unit, but I've read there is a purple wire with white stripe in the phone cables in the console, so I presumably will be able to wire the DSP adapter in the console, drop the HD DICE unit under the passenger seat, and then wire the HD antenna to the windshield (hoping that the wire is long enough).

I might also try another battery drain to reset the DICE unit (another tip I've seen), but I would be surprised if that worked (I didnt take the positive terminal off the first time so I might go full bore this time).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know, but I thought this might be helpful to others even though I am not there yet.
Is the X3 prewired for Sirius? If so, I would test with the Sirius connections in the cargo area before running the cable. Once you have verified that you need the DSP adapter or not, you can continue to the connections underneath the center console.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si Step PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Is the X3 prewired for Sirius? If so, I would test with the Sirius connections in the cargo area before running the cable. Once you have verified that you need the DSP adapter or not, you can continue to the connections underneath the center console.
Did you ever finish your tutorial the X3? (you said the pics were allready taken a couple months back)

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:00 AM

yes, with sat prep

Thanks for all your good info and prior postings.

I have 0693 Satellite Prep -- and specifically the cables shown in the 3-10-07 posting above (the same DSP too). I tried these cargo-located cables you mention, with the head unit white CD-sdars harness in as well as out, to no avail. I got the same behavior when hooked up in the cargo using these connections as I did in the center console -- text, buttons work, change songs, etc. all okay, just no sound. I also tried the AUX connection to verify it wasn't an iPod connection thing, no sound either.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:03 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks for all your good info and prior postings.

I have 0693 Satellite Prep -- and specifically the cables shown in the 3-10-07 posting above (the same DSP too). I tried these cargo-located cables you mention, with the head unit white CD-sdars harness in as well as out, to no avail. I got the same behavior when hooked up in the cargo using these connections as I did in the center console -- text, buttons work, change songs, etc. all okay, just no sound. I also tried the AUX connection to verify it wasn't an iPod connection thing, no sound either.
Have you swapped the 12-pin connector behind the radio yet? More than likely this is your issue, we haven't seen a digital DSP equipped X3 with Sat-prep.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:04 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLX3 View Post
Did you ever finish your tutorial the X3? (you said the pics were allready taken a couple months back)

Thanks!
Not yet - did you have any questions on your specific installation I can help with?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:24 AM

nothing to swap

Quote:
Have you swapped the 12-pin connector behind the radio yet? More than likely this is your issue, we haven't seen a digital DSP equipped X3 with Sat-prep.
I dug in there yesterday. There was nothing to swap. The bottom two pluggable areas in the head unit had nothing in them, but I saw that there was a white connector labeled CD-sdars taped to the two black harnesses, so I plugged that in.

Basically, if you look at the diagram you pasted into your 3-9-07 posting in this thread, there was nothing in the location of the #1 harness (contrary to the picture), no other available connections other than #2 labeled "CD-sdars", so I unwrapped #2 and put into the spot labeled #1, and tried both cargo and center console connections with no change whatsoever.

To put it in yet another way, I don't have the white and black harnesses that are shown plugged in in the picture spm1976 posted on 3-9-07 to this thread, so again, nothing to swap. I have just the extra white one that appears at the bottom of the picture.

The fact that it didnt work was especially surprising because the 6-pin in the center console has the same "CD-sdars" label on it, so I figured I was actually now making the connection I needed to make.
Old 03-20-2007, 11:32 AM
european auto source

Quote:
I dug in there yesterday. There was nothing to swap. The bottom two pluggable areas in the head unit had nothing in them, but I saw that there was a white connector labeled CD-sdars taped to the two black harnesses, so I plugged that in.

Basically, if you look at the diagram you pasted into your 3-9-07 posting in this thread, there was nothing in the location of the #1 harness (contrary to the picture), no other available connections other than #2 labeled "CD-sdars", so I unwrapped #2 and put into the spot labeled #1, and tried both cargo and center console connections with no change whatsoever.

To put it in yet another way, I don't have the white and black harnesses that are shown plugged in in the picture spm1976 posted on 3-9-07 to this thread, so again, nothing to swap. I have just the extra white one that appears at the bottom of the picture.

The fact that it didnt work was especially surprising because the 6-pin in the center console has the same "CD-sdars" label on it, so I figured I was actually now making the connection I needed to make.
Let's test with the trunk connections first - this will ensure you have a working system. Once verified, we can then move to the center console and complete the installation.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Let's test with the trunk connections first - this will ensure you have a working system. Once verified, we can then move to the center console and complete the installation.
Ok good point. Well, the white 12-pin that was unplugged is plugged in on back of head unit. Cargo connections generate text and other functions, but no sound. Cannot think of anything else to try. Maybe I have a uniquely formulated X3!
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Ok good point. Well, the white 12-pin that was unplugged is plugged in on back of head unit. Cargo connections generate text and other functions, but no sound. Cannot think of anything else to try. Maybe I have a uniquely formulated X3!
While still plugged into the cargo area connections, swap the 12-pin at the radio to see if you regain sound. If not, either this is a digital DSP configuration or a defective DICE adapter.

Old 03-20-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
While still plugged into the cargo area connections, swap the 12-pin at the radio to see if you regain sound. If not, either this is a digital DSP configuration or a defective DICE adapter.
Ok. Must be then. I tried that. Again, in my case, no swapping, because I only have the one, but I tried it in and out to no avail. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:20 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Ok. Must be then. I tried that. Again, in my case, no swapping, because I only have the one, but I tried it in and out to no avail. Thanks for your input.
Was the kit ordered through eas directly? If so, we can have the kit tested for you.

Old 03-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Was the kit ordered through eas directly? If so, we can have the kit tested for you.
No, from DICE. Thanks for the offer though.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:51 PM

Found AUX Input...

Tom,
I found the AUX input today in my glove box. Could this be the reason for no audio? If not, then maybe Vandalay and myself. I don't think we both could have gotten shipped defective units. BMW must have wired our X3's on the same day!
Old 03-22-2007, 01:47 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm1976 View Post
Tom,
I found the AUX input today in my glove box. Could this be the reason for no audio? If not, then maybe Vandalay and myself. I don't think we both could have gotten shipped defective units. BMW must have wired our X3's on the same day!
Just spoke on the phone, let's run a continuity test on the signal wires and we'll know where to go from there.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: S54 M coupe
Posnera & psm1976, did you guy get your DICE working yet?
or you still have no sound?
If you get it working, please post the solution.

thanks.
GT
Old 03-22-2007, 08:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
guys, I don't want to go off topic, but I just ordered a 2007 X3 with the premium audio option (DSP). I plan on getting the DICE ipod unit, but looking at these posts about people having problems - will I have less problems getting the iPod only unit or the HD radio+ipod unit? I really dont need HD radio, and would rather like to install the smaller ipod only unit in the center armrest.....

Tom, any suggestions? I know either units are supposed to work, but I want to use the one that has been most trouble free with 07 X3's with DSP audio..

oh, and any updates on the firmware to select songs by artist to work? Not sure why you wouldn't include such a feature. People probably use that more than searching by song title or genre.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by angina View Post
guys, I don't want to go off topic, but I just ordered a 2007 X3 with the premium audio option (DSP). I plan on getting the DICE ipod unit, but looking at these posts about people having problems - will I have less problems getting the iPod only unit or the HD radio+ipod unit? I really dont need HD radio, and would rather like to install the smaller ipod only unit in the center armrest.....

Tom, any suggestions? I know either units are supposed to work, but I want to use the one that has been most trouble free with 07 X3's with DSP audio..

oh, and any updates on the firmware to select songs by artist to work? Not sure why you wouldn't include such a feature. People probably use that more than searching by song title or genre.
There are plenty of MY07 X3s running with the DICE kits, we are currently providing troubleshooting to a couple with issues and should find the cause of the problem. The important factor is that we are responding and very active in troubleshooting here on the forums on on phones and most cases are resolved easily.

The DICE is definitely compatible with the X3 application.

The iPod cannot display Artist information while in an unlocked state - which was top priority in designing the DICE, there's no better search tool than the iPod itself. This feature is under development, but we cannot give an ETA or promise it will be released until more progress is made.

The DICE allows browsing by Song, Playlist and Album via the steering wheel, radio or the iPod itself. You can get to any desired song within seconds.

Old 03-31-2007, 02:13 PM

this is kinda related, from time to time, i would just get no sound, and would try everything, and the only way to fix, would be to reset by removing the cd changer fuse.. so after a while, it got annoying, and removed the adapter for the time being.