Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series

7 Series / 8 Series
The BMW 7 series and 8 Series Forum

Old 02-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
2002 745LI Engine Knocking Noise

Hi all,

Just wanted to hear if any of you have heard a knocking noise when the 745 engine is at idle. I have to bring it in to get it checked out, and was wondering if it was an on-going issue. I have searched the forum and found similar threads, but not quite what I was looking for. "Dieseling" may be it, it does kind of sound like a diesel engine at idle. It goes away when I rev it up though. BTW, it has 37,000 miles on it.

Thanks all.
Ads by Google
Old 02-20-2007, 08:58 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
When Was Your Last Oil Change?

Sounds like similar thread posts already experienced by many of us...

Lifters, Valves, Pistons clanging... The dealer will be able to resolve it easy, just be sure to produce it for the tech to hear or describe exactly what they must do to repeat your symptoms...

If you don't I am sure you will come back here and post, "They said nothing is wrong".

Good luck

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 02-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Thank you gbelton. I did let a service writer hear it and he suggested that I get it looked at ASAP. So apparently I am not hearing things. I just bought it as a CPO. Have any of you ever been to the BMW dealership in Fort Pierce, Florida? (Coggin) I bought my 530i from there and the service is just outstanding. If any of you ever have to go to their service department, ask for Derrick Levelston. Amazing service.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: Coast-to-Coast
Hay, what ever happened with your engine noise issue?? what did the dealer do, i think i'm having the same issue.
thanks in advance
jp
Old 02-23-2007, 07:43 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drockstar View Post
Thank you gbelton. I did let a service writer hear it and he suggested that I get it looked at ASAP. So apparently I am not hearing things. I just bought it as a CPO. Have any of you ever been to the BMW dealership in Fort Pierce, Florida? (Coggin) I bought my 530i from there and the service is just outstanding. If any of you ever have to go to their service department, ask for Derrick Levelston. Amazing service.
Excellent! I will definitely look them up when I am in town.

Let us know how it goes when you get a chance.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:41 PM

I will let you guys know. I am taking it in on Wednesday, so as soon as I find out, I will let you know.

BTW, I am getting ready to put the pictures up for the 20" Asanti's. Check it out...
Old 03-06-2007, 09:08 AM

update

Well, yhey have had my car for a week. They still don't know what it is. I guess they have been talking to "higher ups" somewhere in the world. I am really nervous now.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 AM

update

Tomorrow will be 2-weeks. BMW has authorized the dealer to go exploring to find where the noise is coming from. They have now had my car longer than I have... this sucks.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:17 AM

update

The techs are telling me that that have cleaned a lot of carbon from the top of the pistons and that 70% of the noise is now gone. They said that they have never seen this before in one of those engines. It seems strange that there was so much carbon that it is creating that kind of noise. They said that the engines are very sensitive and that the previous owner's driving style caused it. Supposedly it is caused by a lot of "stop and go" driving versus interstate driving. Anyway, the latest is that they may be taking the rest of the engine apart for access to the rings to clean it even further. It depends on some sort of diagnostics they are running today. I want my car back, but not until it is running 100%. I told them that as long as they keep me updated, I will try my best to remain patient.

I actually talked to the service manager yesterday, he assured me that my car was in good hands and have been authorized by BMW to do whatever it takes to make it right. That is a little comforting. I will keep you all posted, but it is seeming that this is a very isolated incident and may not be much help to anyone.

Thanx
Old 03-15-2007, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 7 series
My 04 exhibits this knocking noise as well @ idle. Im gonna be taking it to the dealer early next week. My issue might be a little different than yours. When my car is in park, I dont hear the knock. When Im in drive @ idle, I hear the knocking. I have a feeling the dealer is gonna *NPF* my concern but im gonna bring it up regardless
Old 03-15-2007, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2004.5 Audi A4 1.8T
Quote:
The techs are telling me that that have cleaned a lot of carbon from the top of the pistons and that 70% of the noise is now gone. They said that they have never seen this before in one of those engines. It seems strange that there was so much carbon that it is creating that kind of noise. They said that the engines are very sensitive and that the previous owner's driving style caused it. Supposedly it is caused by a lot of "stop and go" driving versus interstate driving. Anyway, the latest is that they may be taking the rest of the engine apart for access to the rings to clean it even further. It depends on some sort of diagnostics they are running today. I want my car back, but not until it is running 100%. I told them that as long as they keep me updated, I will try my best to remain patient.

I actually talked to the service manager yesterday, he assured me that my car was in good hands and have been authorized by BMW to do whatever it takes to make it right. That is a little comforting. I will keep you all posted, but it is seeming that this is a very isolated incident and may not be much help to anyone.

Thanx

could be that the previous owner used inferrior grades of gasoline...which in turn causes much less efficient combustion, leading to carbon buildup. granted these engines can handle a tank or two of lower grade gas, but constant running of said grades can be bad. there are a number of things that can cause this, but that can be one of the more common.

Bullseye Power S256 Turbo, Built Engine by Autobahn Premier Service of Denver, CO.

Fast....really really really fast.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:01 AM

I just heard from my service writer. The diagnostics test were "unacceptable". They are going to tear down the engine.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:15 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Smile No...Not Regular!

Thanks for the update. I did fear this would be the case. I am sorry to hear about this.

I tell you, people buy these expensive cars and put in REGULAR gasoline pisses me off! The manual says, MINIMUM 91; these people do such a disservice to people like you. You pick up such a nice ride and BAM, you get hit with that kind of crap.

Some additional advice:

Once all is good and you get you car back, use only Shell, Chevron, 76, Texaco, or Phillips. They all use extra detergents to keep your car purring... Of course nothing less than 91 octane should be used at the pump.

If you are unable to get these fueling options please insert a gasoline cleaner from BMW or your local auto store.

From BMW: 82 14 0 413 341 Fuel System Cleaner Plus; 20 fl.oz. bottle

From Local Auto store:Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner to treat up to 20 Gallons bottle [Link: http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ate_plus.shtml ]

I use this one every third fill-up.

Last edited by gbelton; 03-15-2007 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2004.5 Audi A4 1.8T
good advice. you can never really keep motor internals TOO clean.

Bullseye Power S256 Turbo, Built Engine by Autobahn Premier Service of Denver, CO.

Fast....really really really fast.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:33 AM

Thanx gbelton. I am sure you nailed it with that comment. The previous guy probably didn't care because he knew it was a lease and would be returning it.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes E430
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton View Post
Thanks for the update. I did fear this would be the case. I am sorry to hear about this.

I tell you, people buy these expensive cars and put in REGULAR gasoline pisses me off! The manual says, MINIMUM 91; these people do such a disservice to people like you. You pick up such a nice ride and BAM, you get hit with that kind of crap.

Some additional advice:

Once all is good and you get you car back, use only Shell, Chevron, 76, Texaco, or Phillips. They all use extra detergents to keep your car purring... Of course nothing less than 91 octane should be used at the pump.

If you are unable to get these fueling options please insert a gasoline cleaner from BMW or your local auto store.

From BMW: 82 14 0 413 341 Fuel System Cleaner Plus; 20 fl.oz. bottle

From Local Auto store:Chevron TECHRON Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner to treat up to 20 Gallons bottle [Link: http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...ate_plus.shtml ]

I use this one every third fill-up.
So my friend has a 04' 745Li. She uses Exxon gas, but it is 93. I use it for my MB E430 and for the Designo S430. So does anyone know if Exxon/Mobil uses these extra detergents like Shell, Chevron, 76, etc. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:53 AM

update - need opinions

Hi All, I need your opinions...

I just found out that BMW is putting a brand new engine in my car. They want to ship the original engine back to the factory for studying and tests. I am worried that in the future, it may affect the re-sale value of the car. My questions are:

1) If the odometer statement stays the same, would it affect your decision to purchase it?

2) If the odometer changes to reflect the new mileage on the engine, would it affect your decision to purchase it?

Thank you.

D
Old 03-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Both questions, yes, both would affect my decision to purchase. As long as I know how many miles are on the chassis and the engine, however, I wouldn't mind buying it as long as I know why the engine was changed and I know you didn't blow it up due to extremely hard driving, etc.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:00 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Post Hmmm

Quote:
1) If the odometer statement stays the same, would it affect your decision to purchase it?
Yes, because it is a new engine the odometer readings should be accurate.

Once upon a time I worked at a dealership (Mitsu), and when we had to change out an entire engine, the odometer was set a few ticks (100 miles), as required by the manufacturer but the dealer also included a certification that exclaimed the engine was brand new (Replacement from the factory/dealership). Don't know if this make sense to you but that was then (90's) and who knows what they do now...

Quote:
2) If the odometer changes to reflect the new mileage on the engine, would it affect your decision to purchase it?
See response above.