Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E66,E90,W211,NSX,E39,E38
I-Drive "BMW" screen only

Today when I started the car, the I-Drive menu displayed the "BMW" logo on the screen and remained there. As a result, there was no access to entertainment, nav, comfort, communication and settings. As you know, since 95% of the car is controlled via this screen, I had virtually no adjustments on the car. Luckily I can still go forward and backwards!

I hinted it was a computer crash so I turned off the car and re-started it. Same thing!!

I didn't have a choice but drove into the office. After the car was parked for a few hours, I tried it again and then everything went fine. All settings were normal with no problems.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I hope that a fault code is stored so the dealer can tell me what the cause was.
Ads by Google
Old 03-14-2007, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryho View Post
Today when I started the car, the I-Drive menu displayed the "BMW" logo on the screen and remained there. As a result, there was no access to entertainment, nav, comfort, communication and settings. As you know, since 95% of the car is controlled via this screen, I had virtually no adjustments on the car. Luckily I can still go forward and backwards!

I hinted it was a computer crash so I turned off the car and re-started it. Same thing!!

I didn't have a choice but drove into the office. After the car was parked for a few hours, I tried it again and then everything went fine. All settings were normal with no problems.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? I hope that a fault code is stored so the dealer can tell me what the cause was.
If you hold down on the I-Drive button...the screen will go blank in my cars...which might be the case in yours as well...but who knows maybe its a temporary glitch

I wouldn't worry about it yet...until it starts to appear on a periodic basis then I would take it up with the dealer

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
I have the same exact problem. It happens to me about twice a month, but I found an easy quick-fix. If you dont want to bring it into the dealer, here's what you do....

Open up the right panel in your trunk to gain access to your fuse box.

Look for "Radio". Its fuse number 65.

Simply pull out the fuse for two seconds and put it back in. This resets the radio and it should work again. But, you will lose your radio preset stations.

Last edited by SevenMan; 03-15-2007 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 10 750i
Quote:

Turning your 7er on and off typically is not enough to do a reset since the systems in your car will remain powered for several minutes. This is probably why it was fine after you left it alone for a while.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
I've seen that screen before too, but usually it just goes away after a few seconds. It comes when it wants to but it never hangs up or anything. Weird?

www.customoffset.com
facebook.com/customoffsets
Old 03-23-2007, 02:13 PM
BMW NA Customer Relations

Mein Auto: B M W
Quote:

Iím with BMW of North America, LLC. Iím so sorry to read about this problem with your iDrive screen. If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please give us a call at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200708203047 so that we can help you more efficiently.