Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics sponsored by BimmerTech
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Sponsored by BimmerTech

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
tom,
thanks for your quick response -- i have read up on the cd changer instructions and think i could get everything figured out with wires (i have fold down seats) -

if i used the radio interface kit, where would the wires be routed?

i'd love to see an install with the radio kit with the ipod in the center console or sunglass holder -- thanks!

i'm almost a believer
Old 04-02-2007, 09:24 AM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotoad View Post
tom,
thanks for your quick response -- i have read up on the cd changer instructions and think i could get everything figured out with wires (i have fold down seats) -

if i used the radio interface kit, where would the wires be routed?

i'd love to see an install with the radio kit with the ipod in the center console or sunglass holder -- thanks!

i'm almost a believer
With the radio interface kit - the iPod calbe can be routed to the glovebox or sunglass holder. While it will reach the center console, it's cutting it a bit close on cable length. I would prefer using the trunk interface kit if you prefer to go this route or an extension cable if you prefer the radio interface kit.

We've got you covered for everything you need, let me know if you have any further questions.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG ˇ FACEBOOK ˇ YOUTUBE ˇ FLICKR ˇ INSTAGRAM
Old 04-02-2007, 09:27 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na Na View Post
You know, I have the same issues and a few more!
1. Anyone have the intermittent background clicking noise?
2. How about the inability to adjust the stereo settings (bass, treble, etc.) while using the DICE?
3. Occasional difficulty advancing to the next song (via the steering wheel or the stereo controls) instead it i just keeps going back to the beginning of the undesired song, over and over. The only fix is to use the Ipod to move it forward.
4. I can't seem to navigate to various playlists, by using anything other than the iPod.
Tom, when you mentioned that it will not do it when the Ipod is unlocked, were you suggesting that if the Ipod were locked, the issues would be resolved?

Also, is there a sticky/post/tutorial/other narrative that would address these operational issues?

Imperfect as it is, the sound is still great and the ease of using my 30 or 60g instead of CDs and cases etc. still makes it worth it.

Thanks.
There is no adjustment for an equalizer while using the iPod - this can be adjusted through your radio. A clicking noise is not normal operation and may be related to a defective module.

Was your kit purchased through us? If so, send me a quick email with your full name and a copy of oyur post and we'll make arrangements to have it replaced.

Old 04-02-2007, 09:57 AM

excellent -- it might be a couple of weeks ( i have some things under warranty that i need to get fixed first) and then i'm there --

some of these posts concern me about the clicking and the returning of the units, etc. -- what's the return rate of these units?
Old 04-02-2007, 09:59 AM
european auto source

Quote:
excellent -- it might be a couple of weeks ( i have some things under warranty that i need to get fixed first) and then i'm there --

some of these posts concern me about the clicking and the returning of the units, etc. -- what's the return rate of these units?
Very little - the HD units are very good, but not every device is perfect. IF there is a problem, we will work with you to get a working kit for your vehicle in the shortest time possible.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:26 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3pig View Post
On a related note: I had my DICE iPod kit installed for a few months now. So far my experience is somewhat mixed. On one hand, the kit, when it works allows pretty good control of the iPod, although, I find that the radio text feature is moderately useful given the delay in displaying the text.

The low point of the solution for me is that from time to time (seems to be random but more or less related to not driving the car for a day or more) the iPod or DICE resets and starts playing iPod songs from the begining of song list. This means that the ALBUM switching mode on iPod does not work properly (moves a few songs seamingly at random). I have to manually take the iPod from the glove box and set it to play ALL albums.

Anyone has experienced anything similar? Or is it just my iPod / DICE?
Are you using the HD DICE or standard kit? Also, is your X3 equipped with Business CD or Navigation?

Old 04-02-2007, 09:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
If so, send me a quick email with your full name and a copy of oyur post and we'll make arrangements to have it replaced.
Thanks Tom. Email sent.
~n
Old 04-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Is Th0r0uGhLy AdDiCt3d...

Send a message via AIM to BimmerFr3aK Send a message via MSN to BimmerFr3aK Send a message via Yahoo to BimmerFr3aK
Mein Auto: 97 540i6 W/ Straight Pipe
Ok... figured everything out... got it working. but, there are now new problems.
I ran the wire per tom's suggestion. worked great! wire fed just like you suggested. still, there was a BAD ground loop. so, i unplugged the RCA's and threw a filter on there... no dice (lol wow that was a TERRIBLE and UNINTENDED pun!)...
so, i unplugged the DICE dsp to move the negative terminal to a better ground... bad move. there was NO sound after i plugged it back in!

i donno wtf happened! i unplugged EVERTYTHING, pulled the battery, put the **** back together, and then replugged in the battery,.... still no go. i see the dice display on the dash (song playing, etc, i can tune through HD stations, etc...) but i hear NOTHING, not even the ground loop. no doubt i messed up the DSP converter somehow, or did something else wrong. Bimmerd00d told me i should see a red light on the dsp converter... i see no such light. I took a voltmeter to the wire--its still 12v switched! perfect....
$260 down the drain? or am i just an idiot
wait--dont answer that last question :P
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFr3aK View Post
Ok... figured everything out... got it working. but, there are now new problems.
I ran the wire per tom's suggestion. worked great! wire fed just like you suggested. still, there was a BAD ground loop. so, i unplugged the RCA's and threw a filter on there... no dice (lol wow that was a TERRIBLE and UNINTENDED pun!)...
so, i unplugged the DICE dsp to move the negative terminal to a better ground... bad move. there was NO sound after i plugged it back in!

i donno wtf happened! i unplugged EVERTYTHING, pulled the battery, put the **** back together, and then replugged in the battery,.... still no go. i see the dice display on the dash (song playing, etc, i can tune through HD stations, etc...) but i hear NOTHING, not even the ground loop. no doubt i messed up the DSP converter somehow, or did something else wrong. Bimmerd00d told me i should see a red light on the dsp converter... i see no such light. I took a voltmeter to the wire--its still 12v switched! perfect....
$260 down the drain? or am i just an idiot
wait--dont answer that last question :P
Bimmerd00d's referring to an older design DSP converter that is no longer used. You have a newer version that does not have the optical light. Check the DSP connections again or move the connections directly to the battery temporarily to make sure you are getting a clean +12V and ground.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 3.0si
I have the standard DICE kit hooked up to the Business CD (no NAV, Sat Radio, etc.)
Old 04-03-2007, 07:44 AM

Tom,
will I have to disconnect the battery for sure? do e46 radios have a code -- i don't have mine -- speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find a business CD manual online? -- I found the owners manual for the car, but not for the radio.

also, in the install pictures, where is the most common place that users are storing the DICE unit if they are installing it in the center console / sunglass holder?
Old 04-03-2007, 09:51 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,
will I have to disconnect the battery for sure? do e46 radios have a code -- i don't have mine -- speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find a business CD manual online? -- I found the owners manual for the car, but not for the radio.

also, in the install pictures, where is the most common place that users are storing the DICE unit if they are installing it in the center console / sunglass holder?
It's always recommend to remove both battery cables to allow a full initialization, no radio code is needed on e46 radios.

The DICE module can be lpaced behind the dash or underneath the center console depending on iPod location. We have tutorials at the following links:

http://www.europeanautosource.com/su...nter/index.php

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:19 AM

tom,
you mentioned the hd units are really good -- do the standard units have updated firmware? i don't need hd radio, just my 6000 songs
jonathan
Old 04-03-2007, 10:28 AM

Alright Tom,

as the monkees say, I'm a believer -- order just placed . . . i plan to install the trunk interface and put it in the center console with the iPod cable in the sunglass holder -- that way i can close it up for stealth action -- i've always had my sunglasses elsewhere anyway and my iPod in that location (i just traded my 1993 325i for a 2003 325i and what a difference a decade makes!)

is the iPod cable long enough for me to have some slack (i.e. bring it out of the sunglass holder and select songs either for me or the passenger?) also, is the dock connector the standard width? i have my iPod in a vaja case and some dock connectors don't like the case.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:46 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Alright Tom,

as the monkees say, I'm a believer -- order just placed . . . i plan to install the trunk interface and put it in the center console with the iPod cable in the sunglass holder -- that way i can close it up for stealth action -- i've always had my sunglasses elsewhere anyway and my iPod in that location (i just traded my 1993 325i for a 2003 325i and what a difference a decade makes!)

is the iPod cable long enough for me to have some slack (i.e. bring it out of the sunglass holder and select songs either for me or the passenger?) also, is the dock connector the standard width? i have my iPod in a vaja case and some dock connectors don't like the case.
The dock connector is standard, but may not fit the Vaja case. I'm going to send a docking with a smaller connector so the case can be retained while in use (have a few left before switching to the automotive-grade design). Otherwise, you'll have plenty of cable length to reach anywhere in the vehicle you like.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:50 AM

is the smaller connector lesser quality? i'd much rather have a connector that can hold up to a lot of use than anything less . . .

incidentally i had this same issue with the Monster FM modulator I am currently using and i had to take the iPod out of the case and then fish the connector through the vaja case, connect it, and then put the iPod back in the case -- that solution works fine, if I need to take the iPod out, I just have to slide it out of the case first.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:53 AM
european auto source

Quote:
is the smaller connector lesser quality? i'd much rather have a connector that can hold up to a lot of use than anything less . . .

incidentally i had this same issue with the Monster FM modulator I am currently using and i had to take the iPod out of the case and then fish the connector through the vaja case, connect it, and then put the iPod back in the case -- that solution works fine, if I need to take the iPod out, I just have to slide it out of the case first.
NO difference in quality - just changed suppliers along the lifespan of the unit.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330Ci
I bought a DICE kit and trying to install my 03 coupe myself. My car doesn't seem to recognise the box at all... i did the following using suggestions from this thread:

1) check the wire (bmw side) for voltage using multimeter. everything seems ok
2) disconnecting the battery by removing the positive side cable and grounding it.

do i really have to remove both the cables or is it more likely i received a defective kit?

thanks in advance
Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanu_p View Post
I bought a DICE kit and trying to install my 03 coupe myself. My car doesn't seem to recognise the box at all... i did the following using suggestions from this thread:

1) check the wire (bmw side) for voltage using multimeter. everything seems ok
2) disconnecting the battery by removing the positive side cable and grounding it.

do i really have to remove both the cables or is it more likely i received a defective kit?

thanks in advance
Is this a radio or trunk interface kit? Some BMWs are known to be stubborn on the initialization process, which is why we recommend removing both battery cables when installing.

If this is a trunk interface kit, check the 2amp fuse in the harness to see if it has blown. Also all DIP switches should be in the OFF position.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330Ci
Thanks Tom!!

It's a trunk interface kit. I did check the fuse which works correctly.

I found it is hard to remove both the cables from the battery...but I guess i have to figure out a way to do that. I see two cables(one thicker than other) going into the positive terminal. which one should i remove??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Is this a radio or trunk interface kit? Some BMWs are known to be stubborn on the initialization process, which is why we recommend removing both battery cables when installing.

If this is a trunk interface kit, check the 2amp fuse in the harness to see if it has blown. Also all DIP switches should be in the OFF position.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanu_p View Post
Thanks Tom!!

It's a trunk interface kit. I did check the fuse which works correctly.

I found it is hard to remove both the cables from the battery...but I guess i have to figure out a way to do that. I see two cables(one thicker than other) going into the positive terminal. which one should i remove??
You battery is in the trunk on the passenger side, both cables will need to be removed.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 330i
Tom,

Why is there an option to include "IPOD Docking Cable" for an additional $39 on the HD radio? Does the kit not include the plug that goes into the IPOD?

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:25 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getsmmr View Post
Tom,

Why is there an option to include "IPOD Docking Cable" for an additional $39 on the HD radio? Does the kit not include the plug that goes into the IPOD?

Thanks!
The HD DICE is presented as a High Definition Receiver with iPod support, the iPod-specific cable is additional with this model. The standard DICE kit already includes the cable.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:44 PM

Tom,
it took me about 2 hours for the install, but it was relatively easy to use with the tutorials on line -- the only issue was how to get the ipod cable to the DICE module through the small holes in the center console -- it turns out it was a just a tight squeeze.

i haven't heard the clicking sounds yet that others have described . . . is this a common problem? i'll keep you posted if i notice it being really loud

also, EVERYTHING WORKS AS PROMISED -- i get the best of both worlds -- controls on both the iPod and the Bimmer -- thank you for your help
Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Tom,
it took me about 2 hours for the install, but it was relatively easy to use with the tutorials on line -- the only issue was how to get the ipod cable to the DICE module through the small holes in the center console -- it turns out it was a just a tight squeeze.

i haven't heard the clicking sounds yet that others have described . . . is this a common problem? i'll keep you posted if i notice it being really loud

also, EVERYTHING WORKS AS PROMISED -- i get the best of both worlds -- controls on both the iPod and the Bimmer -- thank you for your help
Depends - sometimes the clicking is the iPod's Clickwheel setting set to ON, other times we're reported it is the module. Unfortunately, we have not had a local vehicle with the problem to see for ourselves, most kits to not exhibit this behavior.

Glad you are up and running - this will definitely be the most used item in your BMW.

Closed Thread