Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-12-2007, 10:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
I would like to know why the 6s occasionally have this problem.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-12-2007, 10:34 AM
YeS...

Mein Auto: 02' 530/08' SuZuKi GsX-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPATH View Post
How much did it cost you?
its going to coast me anywhere between 900 and 1200 more or less. ill be getting it done this week..
Old 03-12-2007, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
It's not only the 6's

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
I would like to know why the 6s occasionally have this problem.

Blown head gaskets are not limited to the 6's or to BMW's for that matter. It may occur a bit more often in the BMW straight 6 becasue the head is so long and more sensitive to thermal stresses, warping and the like.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Jedi Master

Mein Auto: 540iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglovemp View Post
its going to coast me anywhere between 900 and 1200 more or less. ill be getting it done this week..
Thanks. I'm glad you've found the problem and fixing it, albeit with a lighter wallet afterwards. Keep us updated on how the replacement went.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:35 AM
You Lick It, You Own It

Send a message via ICQ to chivas Send a message via AIM to chivas
Mein Auto: 98 540i/6
Quote:
So after all the money spent and all the time also, ADAM and EDDIE from Project M in bayside found that i have a blown head gasket, sucks for me, but at least we found the problem. Thanks for all your help in the previous posts and ill be sure to post the turn out, once the car is done. Well i guess i am ok with the fact that the car has a whole new cooling system.
they do good job. your car is in good hands....

btw, your welcome.

It takes a lot of work to be lazy.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:56 PM
YeS...

Thanks Dan

OH on my original post i did forget to thank you Dan.. Those guys are pretty cool.. Thanks again...

Oh i will let you guys know how it goes.. Hopefully ill have her out on the road by this weekend running good, and thinking about the mods ima do next after i refill the pockets a lil.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:47 PM
YeS...

Cracked Head!!!

So sure enough once the head came off of the car and off to the machine shop, they got back with one of the worste answers i could have gotten. The head is cracked and not repairable. so now my options are to either buy a bare head and transfer everything from my original head and slap it back on the car, or just getting a remanufactured head. Damn this sucks. Totally did not expect or ever foresee this car being this much of a project. I was even thinking about selling it as is and see what id get for it, which means i would have to take a big lost, and then maybe buying another one. I just dont have the time to fix this car, i am stuck without a car at the time which makes matters worst. Well anyways, thats the update. Waiting on some numbers from the shop. So i could give the go ahead!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:42 PM
Norwegian

Mein Auto: 2000 528i Sport
Sorry to hear about your car man. You seemed to get one of the worst repairs. I dont know if you or the cars' previous owner could have avoided it without driving the car like a non-bmw. Just bad luck I guess. But after that your car will be almost as good as new

Dont worry and look at the bright side. Have a good weekend!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: '05 530i
Junk yard. Start calling around to some of the local junk yards and you should be able to find someone that sort of "specializes" in BMW parts. You can then either use that head or transfer some/all of your gear to it. Actually, the repair guys probably know where to find used parts. Could save you some bucks although you'll have to have the replacement head checked out. Make sure it's guaranteed not to be cracked as it can be nearly impossible to see them.

Good luck!
Old 03-23-2007, 06:39 PM

For used parts try these..

www.usedBMWparts.com www.vinesauto.com

Or you could turn this into an opportunity to buy a warranted, modified, better flowing head from one of the best in the industry...

www.metricmechanic.com

You will have to pay the core charge but that might be less than a new head or even a used head. Check em out. You could be pulling success from the jaws of defeat.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 03-24-2007, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
The head can't be repaired? I thought that the heads on our cars were of Aluminum-doesn't take much to weild cracks up in aluminum-May want to try takeing the head to machine shop that can do the work-check around a little before going off on a new head.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:38 AM

Depends where its cracked and how large the crack is. It would take a very good, aluminum specialty, welding shop and it would have to be surface milled after to be sure its flat, since a localized weld would likely warp the head a few thousanths.

It could be worth looking into.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:10 AM
YeS...

Well the crack is too big and can not be welded, thats what the machine shop told me. So my ops are either to get a remanufactured head or buy a bare head and switch the parts from one to another but its almost the same amount of money to just buy a remanufactured and get a warranty on it and not have to worrie about it.

i guess you are right after this the car will be almost new again. The milage was pretty good on it mid 8X,XXX not that bad compared what other people have on a 97.. and it looks good.. But lets see, havent decided yet whether i want to keep it or sell it and get something else.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:27 PM

[QUOTE=biglovemp;2258152]
Well the crack is too big and can not be welded, thats what the machine shop told me. /QUOTE]

Before you give up on repairing the existing head I would like to see if what they said is true and help you. If you are open to me helping then please tell me about the machine shop that said the crack is too large.

Is that where your car is being worked on now, or did you take just the head to this machine shop on your own? Do they do specialize in alum welding?

Where in the head is it cracked? Counting the 6 cylinders starting from the front of the head, the motor front, which 1 of the 6 cylinders has the crack? Is it in the combustion chamber? Does it run into where the valves seal on the valve seat? The exhaust valve? Is it on the valve guide? Or is it on the top side of the head? How long and wide is the crack?

The answers will tell me if you are being fed a line or if you are being treated properly and if that head is in fact repairable.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:01 AM
YeS...

Dont really know

i dont really know where the crack is. The shop i took it to had sent it to a machine shop themselves. and the machine shop had told them that it was cracked and that the crack was too big to weld. What i do know is that the crack is on cylinder 4. Other than that i do not know. What else should i be asking for. I ahve no idea, i mean i took it to the shop and i am going by what they are saying just because i honestly didnt even know what the problem was to begin with and i am not that handy to know anything about a cracked head, and how to find out how it could be repaired. Since this shop was recommended by someone on this forum i guess i am just going by what they are telling me.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
i dont really know where the crack is. The shop i took it to had sent it to a machine shop themselves. and the machine shop had told them that it was cracked and that the crack was too big to weld. What i do know is that the crack is on cylinder 4. Other than that i do not know. What else should i be asking for. I ahve no idea, i mean i took it to the shop and i am going by what they are saying just because i honestly didnt even know what the problem was to begin with and i am not that handy to know anything about a cracked head, and how to find out how it could be repaired. Since this shop was recommended by someone on this forum i guess i am just going by what they are telling me.

The statement that the crack is too big to weld is BS. These types of cracks never open up and never run more than 1.0 to 1.5" in length.

If it went to a typical machine shop they would not be qualified to properly evaluate the head. It needs to go to a welding specialty shop. A typical welding shop will not know what to do with it. I can not emphasis that enough. A typical welding shop will NOT klnow what to do with it. In fact they would f**** it up trying to fix it and you do not get a 2nd chance on repairs like this.

If you are still up for this then read on.

You need to find an aluminum welding specialty shop, not just a welding shop that does aluminum too. Get out your yellow pages and start calling. Tell them you have a cracked head and ask if they have ever done that kind of work. If not move on. If they say yes ask them what motor it was from like Chevy, Ford, etc. It really doesn't matter but if they are bsing you they will hesitate. Ask if they warranty their work. A good shop will have some very limited warranty

Another way to find a shop is a speed shop or hot rod shop that you know of. Or you can look in the yellow pages again. They will know a good welding shop.

If you aren't up to this, and it sounds like maybe you aren't, you will just have to go a more expensive route.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li 330i K1200LT TL ...
Yep, if you want to subcontract the headwork, and go somewhere else, you may be able to get the head fixed. I know a guy here in Md that is pretty good, but like the above said, you should be able to get someone up there to take a look at it - even if you have to pick it up yourself and drop it off.

Challenge will then be warranty - you own it. Something to consider. Not that I'm saying don't investigate, just know that the place installing the head will then be basically under a T&M type contract with no warranty after the head is put on.

The rebuilder should warrant the work, but you would have to have it taken off.

There is a BMW junkyard (recyler, whatever you want to call it).

Also check http://car-part.com/ to find a recycler near you.

If you want to sell it outright the way it sits, let me know (If it is not your typical NY City condition)
Old 03-26-2007, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i M-Sport
Quote:
Damn seems as if this is not goin to be very fun. This is not good at all. Any thing else anyone else think it could be. I am going to have to take it to a pro anyways becuase this is way out of my reach. .... Anyone know any good mechanics that are around Queens NY.. Thats where my car is located. There are plates on the car and it could travel as long as its not too far away from there.. Probably within 30 minutes or so.>>Thanks
Juniors Auto Repair
2606 Tilden Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11226
718-941-3706

I just had my radiator replaced, a pleasureable experience.

I called and they told me they could get your head repaired and replaced for somewhere in the $1500-$2000 ballpark if you were interested.

FYI, all work is warrantied.

Last edited by dagoo98; 03-26-2007 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:45 AM
YeS...

finally car is on the road

So i got my car back this weekend, and its running GREAT!!! .. I have replaced the head! and its running like a charm.. I love it. I washed her up outside and in, and the bueaty looks completely different, Runs great and looks great.... finally got the this car on the road and i am very excited.. now its time to start looking into some mods to make her look even better for the summer time once it gets here..
I am thinking about some music first becuase this system is sh!t.. sounds like crap.. then some rims 19's or 20' not sure yet.... then some HID's with the halos...!! Back lights red and clear... NOt sure what order yet but those are what i am want off the top.. oh and how can i forget about the front and back bumpers..!!!!!!

Anyone were i could do some reading on speakers and what would sound good on my car? I dont even know how many speakers it has and what are the sizes......

I will post some pics of my baby later on today if not tomorrow!!! thanks everyone for the help in the past!!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 AM

Mein Auto: 525i station wagon
Good news indeed-hope she runs well for you for a long time
Poolman

Ps -did you repair the head or find a used one?
Old 04-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Lunatic w/ machine tools

Mein Auto: 97 540iA
R&R of heads on the i6's aren't all that difficult. Whoever said this was a 10 out of 10 difficulty job is wrong. Time consuming: yes. Difficult: no. New head bolts and the needed replacement gaskets and parts (water pump and t-stat while you're in there) and you're into it for no more than a day if you've never done one before.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:16 AM
YeS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Good news indeed-hope she runs well for you for a long time
Poolman

Ps -did you repair the head or find a used one?

I ended up getting a used head and just sent it to the machine shop and had them resurface it and run the tests on it to make sure it was good.. All came back good and then had it installed..the job came out to about $2400 after all was said and done.. I had someone else do it for me, so i cant really tell you how much of a job it was.. I did haev everything changed though.... So the whole cooling system is redone.. and basically new head.. so its like i got a new engine with no worries... and my clock read 89K which is pretty good on the body...I am just glad this is all done with, and that she is running good, now its time to have fun with her making her really nice......
Old 04-09-2007, 10:35 AM
BMW Nuthead

Mein Auto: e92 M3 6mt
good to hear, if I ever had my head off for any reason I would get it shaved .009 and the send it to extrude honing for a mild port and polish...I heard an easy 10-15HP gain on the top end, congrats though
DRB Motorsports axle back exhaust
Old 04-09-2007, 10:51 AM

What are you doing with the old head?

Old 04-09-2007, 11:27 AM
YeS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
What are you doing with the old head?

I JUST HAVE IT SITTING THERE.. ARE YOU INTERESTED IN IT? PM ME IF SO!