Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 03-23-2007, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: A car
New M6 - I-Drive 'quirk'

Didn't want to address as a serious issue just yet but....

New M6 cab, 300 miles and for no apparent reason the the I-Drive shuts off The best way to decribe it is as if it's a computer re-boot. Whole system shuts down, screen off, stereo off. While driving, it occured 4 times within a 50 mile commute.

The only way sure to create the situation is having the navigation active with a destination. When navigation is not being used in that mode then I can't seem to get it to occur. In addition, I have an I-pod adapter installed, if that means anything?

Any one else have this issue? Is there any bulletins out that address this issue?

It is scheduled for service in 3 days so hopefully is will be a easy fix but I would prefer to have some info seeing that the dealers often times are far behind the learning curve than most of us owners, amen
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2007, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kay View Post
Didn't want to address as a serious issue just yet but....

New M6 cab, 300 miles and for no apparent reason the the I-Drive shuts off The best way to decribe it is as if it's a computer re-boot. Whole system shuts down, screen off, stereo off. While driving, it occured 4 times within a 50 mile commute.

The only way sure to create the situation is having the navigation active with a destination. When navigation is not being used in that mode then I can't seem to get it to occur. In addition, I have an I-pod adapter installed, if that means anything?

Any one else have this issue? Is there any bulletins out that address this issue?

It is scheduled for service in 3 days so hopefully is will be a easy fix but I would prefer to have some info seeing that the dealers often times are far behind the learning curve than most of us owners, amen
It could be a loose connection or a bad computer. Did you do the iPod install yourself or do you simply use the plug in for that purpose in the center console?

Whatever it is, it's a major malfunction and you need to have it taken care of. It's not "serious" in the sense of being repaired if it's a loose connection. But if the computer (is it called TCU -- Cobradav knows) is defective, that's serious. Either way, when it's not working that's serious, too.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:37 AM

Yeah, it's definitely getting addressed Monday 3-26. I was hoping there was a service bulletin with this issue because it sure seems related to the navigation when active.

The I-pod was dealer installed.

In addition to the service on Monday, I am having a new Eisenmann race, oval tip exhaust intalled. I've been quite impressed with the sound of the stock exhaust, can't wait to hear this Eisenmann
Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 PM

The Eisenmann exhaust is absolutely wicked!!

The I-Drive issue still exist. The dealer tried installing a 'boot file' to help the system but it seems to be getting worse, happening more often.

Frankly, my dealer doesn't have a clue to why it's happening. Any suggestions for me to be able to ask the dealer tech intelligently what should be done i.e. a new TCU or maybe a reinstall of the latest software version?? (btw, I also posted this on m5board.com)
Old 03-28-2007, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The Eisenmann exhaust is absolutely wicked!!

The I-Drive issue still exist. The dealer tried installing a 'boot file' to help the system but it seems to be getting worse, happening more often.

Frankly, my dealer doesn't have a clue to why it's happening. Any suggestions for me to be able to ask the dealer tech intelligently what should be done i.e. a new TCU or maybe a reinstall of the latest software version?? (btw, I also posted this on m5board.com)
New CCC or TCU. Whatever the hell the whole thing is called. Is your dealer getting fault codes? Can your dealer reproduce your problems?

If I were you I'd get on the horn to BMW NA in New Jersey. The dealers have low paid wage slaves who neither know nor care how to fix these things. BMW NA doesn't seem to care, either, so long as their pathetically incompetent dealers fix them eventually. Who suffers? You got it.

So talk to the Big Cheese now and get it fixed. Your dealer (which one?) will not be able to distinguish between his anal orifice and a post hole. This is a touch more complicated.

Please let us know (1) what it is/was (hopefully); (2) who diagnosed it (and how); your dealer's reaction (and tell us which dealer); and (4) BMW NA's reaction.

I don't have to remind you how much you spent for this car. I suffered for 16 months with a messed up 650i and now have a perfect M6. (I hope I don't jinx myself.) You are entitled to a car that works properly, and gets fixed promptly and correctly when it doesn't.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:11 AM

Update:

3-30-07 am - V25 install, at end of the day last module (of 4 modules) did not take, failed. Will have to try again Monday am.

4-2-07 pm - module failed again

4-3-07 pm - module failed again

The following info is my ignorant comprehension of what the service tech is telling me:

Coincidentally, news is that BMW factory sent out a new service bulletin Monday (4-2-07) that addresses I-Drive Navigation issues specifically for M6 cars. Each M6, individually, gets a special code which is emailed from Jersey. In my case, the code is not working, they are currently waiting for another correspondence from Jersey.

'Frustrating to say the least' is a gross understatement. Total days in service since purchase 17 days ago, 7 but who's counting. Time to have another
Old 04-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Update #2:

Evidently there are several modules that can fail. The tech can not tell initially which one it is so the procedure has to go thru the whole series until the faulty one is identified. Kind of a 'trial an error' procedure.

At this stage BMW NA (and BMW Germany) is requesting to exhaust all avenues by applying the new code to all modules assuring failure before submitting to replacing the CCC unit, (doesn't quite make sense but that is how I understand what the tech is leading me to believe). Ultimately, my tech is telling me that the CCC is what will be replaced by "days end". Being that the CCC is a couple thousand dollars, BMW is reluctant to ok it until above steps are taken.

FWIW, the new service bulletin is addressing this issue on ALL '07 cars with Navigation!!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Update:

3-30-07 am - V25 install, at end of the day last module (of 4 modules) did not take, failed. Will have to try again Monday am.

4-2-07 pm - module failed again

4-3-07 pm - module failed again

The following info is my ignorant comprehension of what the service tech is telling me:

Coincidentally, news is that BMW factory sent out a new service bulletin Monday (4-2-07) that addresses I-Drive Navigation issues specifically for M6 cars. Each M6, individually, gets a special code which is emailed from Jersey. In my case, the code is not working, they are currently waiting for another correspondence from Jersey.

'Frustrating to say the least' is a gross understatement. Total days in service since purchase 17 days ago, 7 but who's counting. Time to have another
Quote:
Update #2:

Evidently there are several modules that can fail. The tech can not tell initially which one it is so the procedure has to go thru the whole series until the faulty one is identified. Kind of a 'trial an error' procedure.

At this stage BMW NA (and BMW Germany) is requesting to exhaust all avenues by applying the new code to all modules assuring failure before submitting to replacing the CCC unit, (doesn't quite make sense but that is how I understand what the tech is leading me to believe). Ultimately, my tech is telling me that the CCC is what will be replaced by "days end". Being that the CCC is a couple thousand dollars, BMW is reluctant to ok it until above steps are taken.

FWIW, the new service bulletin is addressing this issue on ALL '07 cars with Navigation!!

BMW is playing Russian Roulette, and there are a lot of bullets in the pistol.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:03 PM

Update:
4-5-07 pm BMW NA authorized a new CCC. Next day shipping, should be installed & programed by 4-6-07 pm (not holding my breath of course!)

Glad to hear about the replacement even though 'we all' knew that's what the symptoms called for from the beginning!

Time for another At this rate I'll be 3 sheets to the wind and need a chauffeur not an M6!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Update:
4-5-07 pm BMW NA authorized a new CCC. Next day shipping, should be installed & programed by 4-6-07 pm (not holding my breath of course!)

Glad to hear about the replacement even though 'we all' knew that's what the symptoms called for from the beginning!

Time for another At this rate I'll be 3 sheets to the wind and need a chauffeur not an M6!
Have you mentioned the word Lemon yet, or are you just going to take the abuse and ask your BMW community to commiserate with you?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 PM

What in the world makes you think I need any pity when I'm getting boat loads of sympathy from the BMW dealer? Is it sincere? No, but anymore without action will make me vomit. The sole reason I choose to post here (and the M5/M6 board) is purely informative and hopefully to the benefit of others. If it's not welcome or it's recurring and repetitive, then tell me it's all been heard before and I'll cease to update. Nothing personal.

Frankly, I think it's too early to threaten lemon law with 2 visits. My gut feeling is if the new CCC takes care of the issue, then solved. If it doesn't, then it's likely there is nothing that can be done to remedy the problem.

I'm certainly going to assure them the next, being the third visit, will definitely be the last time to get such an essential part of the car right. If not, then what ever steps necessary to enforce the lemon law will be taken.

Patience Grasshopper, join me for another and when the time is right we'll sober up and take charge. BTW, I'm actually on spring break vacation with my kids so right now it's truly not killing me. Frustrating and a bit irritating, yes, but not ball busting time, yet.

Last edited by Tim Kay; 04-05-2007 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
What in the world makes you think I need any pity when I'm getting boat loads of sympathy from the BMW dealer? Is it sincere? No, but anymore without action will make me vomit. The sole reason I choose to post here (and the M5/M6 board) is purely informative and hopefully to the benefit of others. If it's not welcome or it's recurring and repetitive, then tell me it's all been heard before and I'll cease to update. Nothing personal.

Frankly, I think it's too early to threaten lemon law with 2 visits. My gut feeling is if the new CCC takes care of the issue, then solved. If it doesn't, then it's likely there is nothing that can be done to remedy the problem.

I'm certainly going to assure them the next, being the third visit, will definitely be the last time to get such an essential part of the car right. If not, then what ever steps necessary to enforce the lemon law will be taken.

Patience Grasshopper, join me for another and when the time is right we'll sober up and take charge. BTW, I'm actually on spring break vacation with my kids so right now it's truly not killing me. Frustrating and a bit irritating, yes, but not ball busting time, yet.
I guess we count differently. I thought you had taken the car in March 26, March 30, April 2 and April 3 and the CCC module failed all 4 times. I thought it was back in the shop. (That would be strike 5 for me.) Apparently it remained at the shop for several of these failures.

My thinking was: You may love your M6, but at some point enough is enough. It would be new car time for me. At the very least it would be comparable loaner time. And I would also want something from BMW for my trouble. (I had a 1999 SL500 whose fuel level module failed 5 times. Mercedes blamed it on an additive in Chevron gasoline. I knew I could get a new car, but I loved the 1999. So I told Mercedes that I wanted them to give me a tan colored soft top instead of the ugly black one. The car was smoke silver. Mercedes complied and I had a unique roadster for a few years. I also stopped using Chevron gasoline and still avoid it except when I have an emergency and need an immediate fill up. Which is like every other day with the M6.)

If all you need is a , you're a cheap date.

I hope all is fixed by the time you return.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:27 AM

Sorry to confuse you. Yes, currently the car is in the dealer, for the second time, for the past eight days with the repeated failures.

Your certainly right that BMW should 'show some love' and step up with some 'peace offerings' which was a sit down conversation I had with the service manage before I left on my trip. He nodded his head like he was listening but nothing came out his mouth. Kinda the same acknowledgement I get when I ask my kids if their homework is done!!

And yes I am a cheap date. The payments on this M6 have cut my budget so bad that I have to drink less and drink the cheap stuff as well!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Sorry to confuse you. Yes, currently the car is in the dealer, for the second time, for the past eight days with the repeated failures.

Your certainly right that BMW should 'show some love' and step up with some 'peace offerings' which was a sit down conversation I had with the service manage before I left on my trip. He nodded his head like he was listening but nothing came out his mouth. Kinda the same acknowledgement I get when I ask my kids if their homework is done!!

And yes I am a cheap date. The payments on this M6 have cut my budget so bad that I have to drink less and drink the cheap stuff as well!
Come to our next 6erfest and I'll buy the expensive foo-foo Be sure to introduce yourself as we will have 5-6 M6 'verts there.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the invite. Looking forward to meeting up with you all
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Wink Another Informative BMW Owner, Thanks.

Quote:
The sole reason I choose to post here (and the M5/M6 board) is purely informative and hopefully to the benefit of others. If it's not welcome or it's recurring and repetitive, then tell me it's all been heard before and I'll cease to update. Nothing personal.
He is very sincere guys. He has posted this on other BMW forums as well. I guess we all should know that this is an issue though no one else has experienced it. Good luck with that and do let us know the resolution; we want to be kept informed...

Thanks for your contribution and don't take it personal as you pointed out in your earlier comment. You are here to inform right?

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 04-10-2007, 01:23 PM

Update:

New CCC (Car Communication Center) was installed, ready for pickup Saturday 4-7-07 (8 days in the shop) I made it to the dealer for pickup on 4-9-07 am. Quick chat with service and off I went.

Not thinking it was necessary to ask during Saturday’s phone call, letting me know the car was ready, I had mentioned to the services rep that I would be in Monday morning and to please have the car washed. “Of course, we definitely will have that done” he said. Needless to say, it had a weeks worth of dust still on it.

So far, 100 miles, no reoccurrence of the plaguing I-Drive failing. New version, V25.00.04, doesn’t seem noticeably different other than ‘home page’ graphic colors and cosmetic changes (keep in mind I was previously on the latest version prior to V25 such that the car was a Jan ’07 production).

Will update again in about 500 mi.