Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM
...is never off duty.

Mein Auto: E46 323i & E36 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_m5 View Post
2 questions:

How?
If you're in an unmarked BMW, it's likely you could get pulled over or your actions could be interpreted as racing.
Just because I am in my personal vehicle does not mean I can't intervene and call in something I see and I have before. Trust me. Any citizen, law enforcement personal aside, can make what's called a citizens arrest.

Quote:
Why?
Not that I'm supporting bad behavior, but wouldn't you want to just make a phone call and report the plate, and keep enjoying the 'fest? You'll probably be less likely to get an ulcer that way...

I am not sure what you're taking about, but when off duty, more often than not, an off duty officer will carry a loaded gun either on him or in his vehicle, along with a badge. With that being said, it's my call. Depending on the person's actions and/or behavior I may call it in or stop them.

You're never off duty as an officer. It wont ruin, and has never yet, ruined a day of mine to take someone off the street for doing something illegal--Bimmerfest is no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomer View Post
Are you serious?

1.) Officers of the law know their own.

2.) Because there's no such thing as being "off duty" or "off the clock" when one is a public servant. It would be like an "off duty" EMT driving past an accident, calling it in, and continuing to their destination. It's just wrong.

Operator - "911, what's the problem?"

EMT - "I just drove past a bad accident on 101 South past the Earl Warren Exit."

Operator - "Oh. Jim, it's you. how many people? how many cars?"

EMT Jim - "OH, I didn't stop. I'm off duty. My kid's birthday is in an hour and I need to get him a present."

Yeah, that would look good on the 6 o'clock news.

I really hope Brad can enjoy the Fest. But every year a moron or two slips in.

Absolutely. I have and always have enjoyed the past 'fests.

Old 03-23-2007, 05:39 AM
B-M Power-W

Send a message via AIM to Manix
Mein Auto: M3/M Roadster
Well, I'm glad that people "trying to be cool" will be looked down upon rather than encouraged.

And if things go my way, others will be doing the bragging about my car for me.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Para
Mein Auto: 1997 M3 Turbo
Brad - you're the perfect person to ask about this...
Are people going to be looking for cars that violate emissions laws? My car will be in Texas, and is registered in Texas, so this isn't an issue for me. But I'm curious to know if people will be pulled over if their turbo set-up is not CARB legal.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:00 AM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Brad - you're the perfect person to ask about this...
Are people going to be looking for cars that violate emissions laws? My car will be in Texas, and is registered in Texas, so this isn't an issue for me. But I'm curious to know if people will be pulled over if their turbo set-up is not CARB legal.

Us "people" aren't going to be looking for people with emissions violations per-se, but don't not expect it. Any moving/non-moving violation is going to be based not on smog issues initially, but based on other observations on or around the vehicle.

Anytime you have a car event, chances are there's going to by a lot of modified (illegally of course) cars lurking the streets. Since you're visiting from out of state, I wouldn't worry much.

If your asked to open up the hood and you're boosted, and/or have after market headers, etc., and have no serials...expect to be asked to visit the smog referee with some explaining to do.

Just obey all traffic laws and you'll be fine!

Old 04-07-2007, 04:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to Para
Mein Auto: 1997 M3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad323i View Post
Us "people" aren't going to be looking for people with emissions violations per-se, but don't not expect it. Any moving/non-moving violation is going to be based not on smog issues initially, but based on other observations on or around the vehicle.

Anytime you have a car event, chances are there's going to by a lot of modified (illegally of course) cars lurking the streets. Since you're visiting from out of state, I wouldn't worry much.

If your asked to open up the hood and you're boosted, and/or have after market headers, etc., and have no serials...expect to be asked to visit the smog referee with some explaining to do.

Just obey all traffic laws and you'll be fine!
Heh, I didn't mean YOU people, I just meant people in general. I didn't intend to make it sound like your people are different.

I guess I should be more specific though. I have a shop and will have a booth there. Two of the cars that I'll have at my booth are custom wide bodies, they don't look anywhere near stock from the outside, and they don't sound stock either. At the show the hoods will obviously be up. There's a lot of underhood bling and won't be a CARB stocker in sight. I'm contemplating towing the cars to the show (from San Diego) to avoid any issues.

If the owner's/driver's are obeying traffic laws, is there a chance that they might be pulled over?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:50 PM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
Heh, I didn't mean YOU people, I just meant people in general. I didn't intend to make it sound like your people are different.

I guess I should be more specific though. I have a shop and will have a booth there. Two of the cars that I'll have at my booth are custom wide bodies, they don't look anywhere near stock from the outside, and they don't sound stock either. At the show the hoods will obviously be up. There's a lot of underhood bling and won't be a CARB stocker in sight. I'm contemplating towing the cars to the show (from San Diego) to avoid any issues.
There's no such thing as a CARB legal supercharger. Superchargers aren't illegal, the catch is they aren't street legal simply because they exceed smog limitations. If I were you, I would drive them up on a trailer.

Quote:
If the owner's/driver's are obeying traffic laws, is there a chance that they might be pulled over?
There has to be probable cause. No probable cause, not a lawful stop.

P.S.
What's the name of your shop?

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I think it's still a "free country", or it will be when King George leaves office, maybe?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
There's no such thing as a CARB legal supercharger. Superchargers aren't illegal, the catch is they aren't street legal simply because they exceed smog limitations.
Sorry, Brad, but I think you're wrong. Dinan has a CARB legal Supercharger mod for the M5. Several cars come STOCK with superchargers that are CARB legal.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:38 PM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
Sorry, Brad, but I think you're wrong. Dinan has a CARB legal Supercharger mod for the M5. Several cars come STOCK with superchargers that are CARB legal.
I should have said after market, but didn't obviously. DINAN is the exception and anything straight from the factory. We aren't talking about those and I think everyone here knows what I mean. The above vendor clearly stated:

"Two of the cars that I'll have at my booth are custom wide bodies, they don't look anywhere near stock from the outside, and they don't sound stock either. At the show the hoods will obviously be up. There's a lot of underhood bling and won't be a CARB stocker in sight."

What I said above reflected upon his statement. After all, he asked me a specific question.

With that said, very, very few people run DINAN because they are overpriced and among other things, nothing highly unique. As you can tell, I am not a big fan of DINAN products.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Overly Intellectual

Mein Auto: 2002 M5, 1999 M Roadster
Quote:
With that said, very, very few people run DINAN because they are overpriced and among other things, nothing highly unique. As you can tell, I am not a big fan of DINAN products.
I'm a fan of the performance; but not the price tag to get there. So, I'm with ya'. Also, it's not like you can use it most of the time. Except for the sub-5 seconds it takes to get to freeway speeds on an onramp .

VF Engineering is working on a kit for the M5, and they have a few kits out there already (M3, 540, etc). I'm not sure about CARB certification on those. I'd like to know. If it's street legal, and they were talking price range of $10K, it's a great deal...
Old 04-08-2007, 02:26 AM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
I'm a fan of the performance; but not the price tag to get there. So, I'm with ya'. Also, it's not like you can use it most of the time. Except for the sub-5 seconds it takes to get to freeway speeds on an onramp .

VF Engineering is working on a kit for the M5, and they have a few kits out there already (M3, 540, etc). I'm not sure about CARB certification on those. I'd like to know. If it's street legal, and they were talking price range of $10K, it's a great deal...
Personally, I'd never supercharge a car. I am a big fan of naturally aspirated engines. I think it's a waste of power, expensive and simply not particle. There's no need for that on the road and the roads here aren't speed friendly nor are the other drivers on the road. This only leads to one place to drive: on the open track.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Just a Gigolo

Mein Auto: '02 540iA '05 M3
Quote:
Personally, I'd never supercharge a car. I am a big fan of naturally aspirated engines. I think it's a waste of power, expensive and simply not particle. There's no need for that on the road and the roads here aren't speed friendly nor are the other drivers on the road. This only leads to one place to drive: on the open track.
True...naturally aspirated engines pumping out 500bhp (Z06, BMW M5, Merc AMG's, P-cars, etc) are not a waste of power, expensive and are very practicle! There is a need for that on the road.

(sarcasm mode off)

Your personal bias let's you ignore the facts. Forced Induction is actually a very cheap way to increase power on a car. That statement of course is different that whether or not it's good for the street or not, which is personal opinion.
'05 M3 Track Beast - Ground Control coilovers - APEX Arc8's in Nitto NT01's - Fabspeed Headers - ESS Tune - Auto Club 1:58.5 - Streets 1:29.9
"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."—President Bush; Interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006
Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 PM
...is never off duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior687 View Post
Your personal bias let's you ignore the facts. Forced Induction is actually a very cheap way to increase power on a car. That statement of course is different that whether or not it's good for the street or not, which is personal opinion.
More power = more air. Very cheap concept, indeed. BUT, not when paying for someones' engineering, time and design.