Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745 LI
Satellite Radio

I am new to BMW and to this Forum, so be easy on me.

I purchased a 2003 745 LI and would like to add Sirius or XM Satellite raido and can not find an aftermarket interface. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Ads by Google
Old 01-23-2006, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745I
radio

If you find one let me know I purchased a subscription for my other car but when I purchased my 7 it was not available I have an 02
Old 05-05-2006, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li TitanSilv/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by CITYCOP
If you find one let me know I purchased a subscription for my other car but when I purchased my 7 it was not available I have an 02
I have the same question--most interested in XM. Right now I have the Audiovox plug-n-play unit (has a built-in FM modulator). Though I've found a very inconspicuous place for the antenna (which works well), I hate the unit constantly plugged into my lighter outlet (plus, the auto-on and auto-off feature of the unit will not work with power coming from the lighter outlet). I would like to have it wired, but I admit I'm afraid to turn my baby over to a stereo shop. Suggestions?

2003 745Li (03/03 build, so Sirius not available)
Old 05-17-2006, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li TitanSilv/Blk
*Reasonable* Solution for XM in '02 and early '03 E65

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdecesare
I am new to BMW and to this Forum, so be easy on me.

I purchased a 2003 745 LI and would like to add Sirius or XM Satellite raido and can not find an aftermarket interface. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
This is a *reasonable* solution that I'm happy with so far. The installer put the new XM SportsCaster unit (approx. $60) in the bottom drawer of the console. He drilled a hole in the back of the drawer about the size of a nickel and fed the power and antenna wires through it. The drawer is perfectly functional--you can leave the drawer open if you want to be able to change the stations and access the buttons or you can choose a station and close the drawer (leaving the unit completely out of sight!). The unit comes with its own remote control. The unit has built-in FM modulation that works well in my area. See XM's website for details on the unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

For the antenna solution--don't laugh--I purchased a basic stainless steel shower drain (approx. $4) and painted it flat black (approx. $1). (The magnetic antenna needed metal surface for reception.) I affixed some of those rubbery pads, meant to hold things like cell phones and PDAs on the dash of your car, to the bottom of the metal and just laid it in the back window. From the outside of the car, it is barely even visible, because it is black and is sitting on black leather. The installer ran the wire out of sight (I believe in the door facing) to the back of the drawer to connect to the XM unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

Again, I think it's a reasonable solution!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XM in Drawer.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	75878   Click image for larger version

Name:	XM_Antenna.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	75879  
Old 04-13-2007, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li
I am really amazed that in 3 weeks of searching the internet that this is the best solution I've seen yet for getting xm radio in a 02-03 7 series. I can't believe that there's no good direct connect solution. Anyone?
-kevin
Old 04-19-2007, 11:39 AM

WarEagle745,

I bought the same unit (Sportscaster - because XM Radio has a promotion right now and it's free with 6 months of service). You're right, it fits in the drawer perfectly, and the color of the backlight is the exact same as the colors of the dash.

Anyway, do you know where the antenna is on this car? Included in the packaging is a "sure connect" piece that clips onto the antenna. I'm not really sure where that is. I installed it last night to test it out, and see if it works (I haven't removed any panels or drilled any holes) and I just ran the "sure connect" to the back dash as well and wrapped it around a headrest. As I drove to work today I realized that I either need to find the antenna or figure out a direct connect Aux solution. Right now the sound quality is worse than FM radio. There is another post on this site that I have been reading/posting about taking apart the FM radio box and soldering in an AUX input; you should check that out.

Note: I have the Satellite antenna on the back dash in about the same spot as you, but I seem to be getting good reception (full bars) with out the metal drain mod (great idea btw).

-Kevin
Old 04-19-2007, 12:00 PM

Yes, search before you ask, I know.
this site is awesome:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...95&hg=65&fg=30

-Kevin
Old 04-20-2007, 08:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarEagle745 View Post
This is a *reasonable* solution that I'm happy with so far. The installer put the new XM SportsCaster unit (approx. $60) in the bottom drawer of the console. He drilled a hole in the back of the drawer about the size of a nickel and fed the power and antenna wires through it. The drawer is perfectly functional--you can leave the drawer open if you want to be able to change the stations and access the buttons or you can choose a station and close the drawer (leaving the unit completely out of sight!). The unit comes with its own remote control. The unit has built-in FM modulation that works well in my area. See XM's website for details on the unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

I affixed some of those rubbery pads, meant to hold things like cell phones and PDAs on the dash of your car, to the bottom of the metal and just laid it in the back window. From the outside of the car, it is barely even visible, because it is black and is sitting on black leather. The installer ran the wire out of sight (I believe in the door facing) to the back of the drawer to connect to the XM unit. [See pictures of installation below.]

Again, I think it's a reasonable solution!
Come'on bro....a shower drain? You don't need metal for reception. Just use a small piece of velcro. And hide that wire. The "in-drawer unit" is sweet. Good idea.

I have the Sirius S50 mounted beside the center console. My antenna is on the trunk lid... see the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ANTENNA LOCATION.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	104888  

Last edited by drockstar; 04-20-2007 at 08:58 AM.