Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
CLK63 AMG Vs M6...

I see that there are quite a few former MB owners here. Anyone of those former MB owners have any good reasons NOT to buy a CLK63 AMG? I always thought that MB was more of a luxury car, and the BMW more of a performance ride. I sure hope to hear some good feedback one way or another, as the purchase of an M6 is a lot more greenbacks vs an AMG.... Just had the pleasure of driving an M6 this week, although fitment is a priority. I'm 6'5" and ALL legs. Maybe I need to see how a CLK63 is for a good fit??? Can't fit into an M3, barely fit into an M5, and can accept the fit of an M6. Should I try on a CLK63 for size? So what has the MB got that an M6 lacks???

Thank you mucho in advance for your input!!!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe

Last edited by Big Mike18; 04-20-2007 at 10:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 PM
jammat jammat is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: In transit
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 661
Mein Auto: 335i xDrive Coupe
What the hell is a duckette?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Duckettes = Dollars........
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Some of us would rather ride on a modified S chassis than a modified C chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2007, 10:50 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Do you mean a modified BMW S chassis vs a modified MB C chassis? I have never owned either, so please excuse my ignorance.......
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Kayani_1 Kayani_1 is offline
Account closed at users request
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 973
Mein Auto: Graphite & Silver E92/E60
No not a modified BMW S class there is no such thing

He is trying to tell you that the CLK 63AMG is based on a C class chassis. Which compares with BMW M3 as it is based on 3 series chassis. The overall room is not gonna be much different between the upcoming M3 and the CLK63 AMG. Infact the new M3 might be slightly more roomy then the CLK63 AMG as it is based on current generation C class which has not recieved a new chassis since quiet some time.

On the other hand BMW M6 is based on a 5 series chassis and if you are gonna compare oranges to oranges then MB equivalent to that will be MB CLS63 AMG @ best which is based on MB E class chassis. Since MB doesnot really have a 2 series coupe based on E class you really cant compare M6 truly compare oranges to oranges when comparing M6 to either the CLK or CL. Because even the CL63 AMG is based on S class chassis and not on the E class and BMW doesnot offer a coupe based on 7 series chassis.

I hope now it all makes sense to you.


To be honest M6 is gonna be lighter and more agile then both CLS63 AMG and much larger and heavier CL63 AMG. If it was me I would stick with M6 unless offcourse I wanted a much more larger and luxury oriented coupe in which case CL63 AMG would do the job.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummox View Post
Do you mean a modified BMW S chassis vs a modified MB C chassis? I have never owned either, so please excuse my ignorance.......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2007, 08:45 AM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Thanks Kayani! It sounds like there is less room in the CLK than there would be in an M6, considering that the CLK is based on a C class chassis. I also understand that the MB is going to be even heavier than the M6. Still looking for further comments, if anyone cares to join in.

Thanks to all!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2007, 07:01 PM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
No not a modified BMW S class there is no such thing

He is trying to tell you that the CLK 63AMG is based on a C class chassis. Which compares with BMW M3 as it is based on 3 series chassis. The overall room is not gonna be much different between the upcoming M3 and the CLK63 AMG. Infact the new M3 might be slightly more roomy then the CLK63 AMG as it is based on current generation C class which has not recieved a new chassis since quiet some time.

On the other hand BMW M6 is based on a 5 series chassis and if you are gonna compare oranges to oranges then MB equivalent to that will be MB CLS63 AMG @ best which is based on MB E class chassis. Since MB doesnot really have a 2 series coupe based on E class you really cant compare M6 truly compare oranges to oranges when comparing M6 to either the CLK or CL. Because even the CL63 AMG is based on S class chassis and not on the E class and BMW doesnot offer a coupe based on 7 series chassis.

I hope now it all makes sense to you.


To be honest M6 is gonna be lighter and more agile then both CLS63 AMG and much larger and heavier CL63 AMG. If it was me I would stick with M6 unless offcourse I wanted a much more larger and luxury oriented coupe in which case CL63 AMG would do the job.
Correctly interpreted. The CLK is a C class. The CL is an S class. While the M6 is based on a 5 chassis, it is more like the 7 series than the 5 series in terms of comfort, and heads and shoulders over the CLK.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Okay, but what about a comparison of the M6 against the CLS 63 AMG??? (I'm still doing my homework online...)

Also, anybody care to elaborate as to why you may have sold your favorite Benz in favor of the M6?

I only want to make sure that I can find something that a big Lummox like me can fit into, especially on long trips. Not that fat, just long legged...........

Thanks everyone!!!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummox View Post
Okay, but what about a comparison of the M6 against the CLS 63 AMG??? (I'm still doing my homework online...)

Also, anybody care to elaborate as to why you may have sold your favorite Benz in favor of the M6?

I only want to make sure that I can find something that a big Lummox like me can fit into, especially on long trips. Not that fat, just long legged...........

Thanks everyone!!!
The M6 has as much room for the driver as a CL Merc. I had originally ordered a CLS55 AMG but didn't get it after I drove a friend's CL500. It was very cramped. In terms of performance, Mercedes makes some powerful engines but the cars are not well-balanced. They don't handle as well as their counterpart BMWs. I believe that I can speak with some experience on the subject. You're not going to find many owners of M6s on this board who also have extensive experience with Mercedes Benz AMG cars, so now you're just going to have to drive them yourself. If you want a big, fast quiet "American car," go Mercedes. If you want to drive, go M6.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2007, 01:33 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Thank you very much for your input! I'm probably going to stick with my decision to get an M6, although some people that I know in the auto industry have been advising that I check out some other rides. I won't bore you with all of the recommendations. Instead, I will share that in my opinion, the new Corvette might have been in my garage by now, that is if I hadn't had to fight with Detroit over so many American made car issues over the years. So it's come down to the CLS63 AMG or the M6. Like you mentioned, the MB is going to be more of a luxury car, and the M6 is for the thrill of the drive. Just wish that the M6 pedals were deeper in the well, or that the seat went further back. If I were smaller, I'd wait it out for the new M3 MONSTER!!!!!

Thanks again everyone, and I will always accept further discussion - at least for the next 60 daze!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummox View Post
Thank you very much for your input! I'm probably going to stick with my decision to get an M6, although some people that I know in the auto industry have been advising that I check out some other rides. I won't bore you with all of the recommendations. Instead, I will share that in my opinion, the new Corvette might have been in my garage by now, that is if I hadn't had to fight with Detroit over so many American made car issues over the years. So it's come down to the CLS63 AMG or the M6. Like you mentioned, the MB is going to be more of a luxury car, and the M6 is for the thrill of the drive. Just wish that the M6 pedals were deeper in the well, or that the seat went further back. If I were smaller, I'd wait it out for the new M3 MONSTER!!!!!

Thanks again everyone, and I will always accept further discussion - at least for the next 60 daze!
Have you been in a CLS? The car is cramped for me and I'm only 5' 11 - or 6' 3 when I'm measured like a TV set.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Okay, here da deal..... Just returned from the MB dealership. Sat in a CLS63 AMG and an E63 AMG, only to learn that they are both worse with regards to the center console than an M6. Run your right hand down the outside of your leg, just below the knee, until you come to a little round bone just above your calf muscle. That is where I run into all of my problems. And in the MB rides, it is wedged right against the center console, just like in the M3 and M5. The same bone is ABOVE the center console in the M6, so that's where I'm headed. Since the seat is all the way back, and reclined, I will be forced to drive bare foot to be comfortable on those long trips, or extended periods in traffic working the pedals. Looks like it's gonna be a Black Sapphire M6, CF, Sirius, HUD, and Comfort Access. I may even settle for the full leather if I can feel any discernable difference in comfort............

Thank you very much MalibuBimmer for all of your valuable input!!!!

I do have one last question - Should I wait for the 2008 model M6, or will there be any difference in what they offer? When do the 08's come out???

Big Mike - The Lummox
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummox View Post
Okay, here da deal..... Just returned from the MB dealership. Sat in a CLS63 AMG and an E63 AMG, only to learn that they are both worse with regards to the center console than an M6. Run your right hand down the outside of your leg, just below the knee, until you come to a little round bone just above your calf muscle. That is where I run into all of my problems. And in the MB rides, it is wedged right against the center console, just like in the M3 and M5. The same bone is ABOVE the center console in the M6, so that's where I'm headed. Since the seat is all the way back, and reclined, I will be forced to drive bare foot to be comfortable on those long trips, or extended periods in traffic working the pedals. Looks like it's gonna be a Black Sapphire M6, CF, Sirius, HUD, and Comfort Access. I may even settle for the full leather if I can feel any discernable difference in comfort............

Thank you very much MalibuBimmer for all of your valuable input!!!!

I do have one last question - Should I wait for the 2008 model M6, or will there be any difference in what they offer? When do the 08's come out??? [That's 3 questions. Sorry, you're over the limit.]

Big Mike - The Lummox
Mike - You are a big lummox. If you can afford it, buy now. (No changes are yet known except for the Phantom engine tweaked to 750 HP.) I don't care where you're located, call PhilippeK at Irvine BMW for the best deal. He is the official purveyor of the goodes to the Knights.

Maybe you should get the rattlebox just so that you will be able to have enough head room.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 04-22-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2007, 10:56 PM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
Yup, I plan to purchase within the next 60 days. The "phantom motor" sounds great, and even more expensive with regards to fuel consumption. Although, I might be able to then blow the Z06's off the road!!! (Take THAT Detroit!!!) Already have an Auto Broker in mind (I have purchased many vehicles from them, and have already seen the pricing). The Coupe has sufficient head room, so the Vert is not up for discussion - I like to hear my music too much (yeah Sirius)!!! I may just call Irvine for a comparison, although I don't think that I can do much better than sticker + tax & license with my broker............

Yeee Hawwww!!! Can't wait to go faster than my K bike! IN A CAGE!!!!!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:15 AM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,970
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummox View Post
Yup, I plan to purchase within the next 60 days. The "phantom motor" sounds great, and even more expensive with regards to fuel consumption. Although, I might be able to then blow the Z06's off the road!!! (Take THAT Detroit!!!) Already have an Auto Broker in mind (I have purchased many vehicles from them, and have already seen the pricing). The Coupe has sufficient head room, so the Vert is not up for discussion - I like to hear my music too much (yeah Sirius)!!! I may just call Irvine for a comparison, although I don't think that I can do much better than sticker + tax & license with my broker............

Yeee Hawwww!!! Can't wait to go faster than my K bike! IN A CAGE!!!!!
The convertible uses a special new material for the top and is surprisingly quiet. (As to this I am Sirius.) Everyone who has a 6er convertible is surprised at how quiet the cabin is. You should test drive one.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:56 AM
Big Mike18 Big Mike18 is offline
Registered User
Location: El Dorado County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 Dinan SBM S2 M6 SMG
You are absolutely right! The new top on the Vert is wonderful! I never have been a ragtop person, more of a poptop or sunroof. Maybe it's because I don't want to have to replace one after someone cuts it open to steal my sunglasses. Besides, I can always ride around in my girlfriends 335i Vert when she gets it. For those really nice days, we're out on the K1200LT with our knees in the breeze!
__________________
2007 Dinan S2 M6 Coupe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms