BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#278 ·
Although it took a while to read through all 10+ pages of this thread, I found tons of valuable infomation, and have now ordered the iPod interface kit, confident that it will work with my car and that I can install it myself. Many thanks to all the contributors. :thumbup:

In case anyone is interested, I found a dealership in NJ that's selling the kit for $234 + s/h. By far the best price I've seen. I placed an order Friday and got an e-mail today with confirmation that it shipped, with $16 added for s/h to CA. From what I've been reading on this thread, $250 shipped is cheaper than any other dealer is offering. Irvine BMW wanted to charge me $350 + 3 hrs labor! :yikes:

Here's the link.

http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/acc/65110403650.htm

I'll update once I receive and install the kit.

#288 ·
iPod to Idrive install

Trying to decide if I want the iPod interface installed, hefty price tag of 249 + 3 hours labor, so it comes to about 650 total....but the idea of having my entire music library online and available through Idrive is tempting.
Anyone else go this way ? does the price sound right ?
I am currently trying out the IcarPlay FM from Monster, sound quality is decent, better than expected, but for me, its the manipulation of the iPod thats the issue.

mike/

#289 ·
Trying to decide if I want the iPod interface installed, hefty price tag of 249 + 3 hours labor, so it comes to about 650 total....but the idea of having my entire music library online and available through Idrive is tempting.
Anyone else go this way ? does the price sound right ?
I am currently trying out the IcarPlay FM from Monster, sound quality is decent, better than expected, but for me, its the manipulation of the iPod thats the issue.

mike/
If you're the least bit handy, I would suggest installing it yourself. If you read through the thread, you'll find that there are a few sets of instructions on this thread that seem simple enough. People have mentioned that it takes about 45 mins. Others have mentioned how much they were quoted/paid for dealer install. I ordered one (see above) which will arive Friday. Will comment first hand on ease and time of installation on Saturday. Also, if you read through the thread, depending on your build date and MP3 playability you might learn that you don't need any re-coding/sw updates.

#294 ·
: popcorn: Double burn :flame:

To Deelee, add the time it took for your original post with your response to Stream's criticism, and you could have searched and found the answer to your original question and avoided this issue all together. :D I think they would have cut you some slack if you had less than 5 posts or so (newbie and all) but 22 is pushing it to just skip to the end of a 12 page topic and ask your question.

#295 ·
yeah, well the problem is when a thread gets as long as this one, its usefulness is diminished, I dug through the thread BEFORE I posted. The problem is that people are talking about all different kinds of "iPod adapters" in here and rarely being clear about what type they are talking about. The thread starts out with installing an aux adapter. Some folks are talking about simply installing the aux in adapter, some are talking about installing the most bus interface and reprogramming of the software in Idrive which is probably why some people were quoted .75 hrs or 1 hr and some of us were quoted 3 hrs.

#299 ·
If I purchase the iPod MOST adapter from Circle BMW ($234), do you think a local BMW would agree to install it? Any warranty issues with not purchasing it from my dealer or letting them do the install?
I'm betting your local dealer would rather sell it to you - so ask them to match or come close to the price (plus shipping of course).

#301 · (Edited)
But if I purchase and install it myself, does that affect my warranty?
I wouldn't imagine that it would void the warranty. If you're in doubt, you could pretty easily remove the interface before going in for service, and no one would be the wiser. The process is a lot easer once you've already done it (and know where everything is). :thumbup:

Did you have the CD changer before you added the adapter? Could you add a few pictures so that I can see how it looks after a successful installation? I know that I'm asking a lot. Thanks for any information that you can share.
I did have the CD changer, which from what I've read, makes it easier. My installation pretty much looks exactly like those from these DIY instructions linked to earlier on this thread by Stream...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=838570&postcount=1

If there is any other view not covered, let me know and I'll post a pic. It has been mentioned on this board that there is a cover plate for the hole, but I haven't gotten it yet. Come to think of it, if you don't have the CD changer, you might already have the cover plate. :dunnno:

#303 ·
My 650i VERT (build 11/06) was not pre-wired for a changer. This was verified visually and by inspecting the VIN with BMW's online tools.

So I purchased iPod interface MOST with harness (BMW Part #: 65 11 0 403 650).

If you aren't pre-wired for a changer (or have a changer installed); this install is NOT for the faint of hart. It requires removal & re-install of the following: glovebox, hazard warning switch, center fresh-air grill, center trim instrument panel, bottom right instrument panel trim, and most of all the CCC or ASK computer & its wiring harness.

Its not impossible, but I would highly suggest you have torx bits, small jewelers screwdrivers (as you will be removing specific wires, PINS, and fiber optic cables from wiring harnesses), and patience !

If you're going to tackle this yourself, you will need the install instructions for the interface and I would also suggest the TIS instructions for removal / re-install of the interior pieces you will be removing (so you know how many screws and where they are).

Here's the worst part .. after the install (several hours) .. NO AUDIO and NO SAT (its greyed out in the menu), and SOS Malfunction. I double checked the install, and its right. In fact, iDrive even re-booted once already.

My guess is these problems stem from the fact the retrofit coding hasn't been completed. Now I get to argue with the dealer, to complete this under warranty (which should prove to be fun).

If I had to do it all over .. let the dealer do the work, as you're going to end up back there anyhow. :bawling:

#304 ·
To any of the BMWNA representatives:

Why would BMW of Bellevue WA (877-411-6940) charge for 4 hours of labor (standard) when the bulletin generally suggests less than 1 hour of labor and for the service person to call if they are having difficulty after 30 minutes. That amounts to about $450 for labor in addition to the equipment being installled. It seems as though the majority of people that have posted that they had BMW install the adapter paid slightly more than that amount for labor and materials.

BMW of Bellevue is claiming that they have to charge for the software update as well. Is this what BMW and BMW of BMWNA wants?

#306 ·
Problem (?) with 2008 5-series USB iPod integration

I received my new 528xi last Saturday, 4/21, and have been wading through all the options. (Man, there are a lot of options on the iDrive.) I have been trying to use the new integrated USB-based iPod adapter but am either having a problem or are doing something wrong. First, let me say I am typing this from memory and am not sitting in the car so I may have some of the menus slightly wrong.

The manual (p186) says to connect the iPod to BOTH the USB and the mini-aux in; I don't believe that is correct so I am using just the USB. When I do that, I get a bunch of menus that includes Directory, iTunes, Photos, etc. It actually looks like the directory structure of the iPod's disk drive. By hunting around, I can get to one line that has "Songs", "Playlist", "Genre", "Artist" - just as you would hope. However, none of those work. Highlighting and picking Playlist (or any of the others) does nothing. Elsewhere in the menu structure, I can get to a list F1, F2, F3, F4, etc. Under each of these are meaningless 5 letter names that correspond to each song. For example, AEKGR might represent a Beethoven symphony while the next entry, AEKMY, might be a podcast of a talk show. They play beautifully, but the names are useless to find a track.

I also don't see any start/stop options.

I wondered if it might be because I have a rather full 80 GB iPod, with 11005 songs, and maybe it would take a while to load the directory. I gave up after 30 minutes or so.

I realize ths option has been out for less than a week, but does anyone have any ideas? I could just use the aux in and the iPod controls, but that wasn't what I hoped for.

Thanks,
Stan

#307 ·
The manual (p186) says to connect the iPod to BOTH the USB and the mini-aux in; I don't believe that is correct so I am using just the USB.
Everything I've read about the factory installed iPod/USB interface said you need to connect the iPod with both the USB and mini-stereo cables, which is provided as part of the kit. Have you tried connecting both and seeing how it works?

#308 ·
Supplied kit?

Was I supposed to get a cable with the option! Maybe that is the problem! I didn't get one with the car and am using my regular iPod cable. I'll have to ask the dealer.

Thanks,
Stan

#310 ·
Amazing!

This forum is amazingly useful! I post a question and within an hour have not only an answer but the supporting documentation, as well.

Thanks very much,
Stan

#312 ·
#313 · (Edited)
Retrofit for early 2004 E60

I have a 2004 E60 with no Navigation and no CD Changer.

Will my vehicle play mp3's in the in-dash CD player if I have the retrofit done?

#315 ·
Referring back to my question regarding the need to use a special cable, the dealer provided the cable yesterday and it now works beautifully! The only thing I had to do was create a Playlist that pointed to the podcast list. Without that Playlist, I couldn't find a way to see my podcasts but with the lPlayist, it works fine.

Stan

#317 ·
Update on early model E60's -- The iPod adapter will apparently work on cars built 09/03 or after. You will need the mp3 retrofit and will need to have Progman updated, as well as the iDrive programmed for the iPod adapter.

It is not clear whether or not you must have NAV for this to work -- if you don't have NAV, you should still ask your dealer to give it a try.

Hope this is good news for some -- my build date was 08/03, so it's a bummer for me!

#318 ·
You do not need Nav but I have heard that if you do not have the 6 disc changer or at least wired for one the installation charge is significantly higher. I know the iDrive has to be programmed but not sure about the Progman needing to be updated. If it does I certainly did not get the most recent version as my 'boot up' time is at least 2-3 minutes.

#321 ·
A couple of semi-related questions when using the MOST:

1) Is there a way to set up the iPod where the MOST recognizes just one "Artist" entry? As an example, when I access "Artists", I sometimes see multiple Bob Dylan's. On other artists, I only see one entry. Also with that, it shows songs in multiple albums all lumped together with no reference as to which album. Arrrgh!

2) Somewhere I saw a reference to using a program that adjusts the output level of of the entire library to provide a more even sound level. Has anyone had success with that and what did you use?

#322 · (Edited)
My responses in bold below.

A couple of semi-related questions when using the MOST:

1) Is there a way to set up the iPod where the MOST recognizes just one "Artist" entry? As an example, when I access "Artists", I sometimes see multiple Bob Dylan's. On other artists, I only see one entry. Also with that, it shows songs in multiple albums all lumped together with no reference as to which album. Arrrgh!

This most likely is caused by how certain artist names are stored in your iPod. Check the multiple Bob Dylans--they're probably each spelled slightly different, so the iPod (& iTunes) lists them as separate artists. You'll need to correct this in iTunes.

For the songs with no albums referenced, again, it's likely an issue with the track information in iTunes--probably no album info.

2) Somewhere I saw a reference to using a program that adjusts the output level of of the entire library to provide a more even sound level. Has anyone had success with that and what did you use?

I use MP3Gain, which is a great volume normalization program (be sure to turn off sound check, which is Apple's sound normalization feature, in iTunes & the iPod after using MP3Gain):
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

#324 ·
Here are some photos of the install of the Auxiliary Input device. The iPod integration would not work in my early 2004 530i, so this is the best I could do. It sounds pretty good -- with special thanks to Stream for posting the part about removing the transistors/capacitors on the cable. I did get a boost in volume and bass, which translates into better sound.

When I had it installed, I told the dealer to run the cable out just above the storage "web" on the passenger side. I then used a special dock connector cable I found through Price Grabber: Product Name: Cables To Go iPod Dock Connector to 3.5mm Cable: Product Detail: Part number: 35508. It cost about $18 (including shipping). This will NOT charge the iPod. There is another dock connector cable that charges that I am going to order when I have time to do the install.

The cable is hidden in the storage "web" by a black piece of plastic (kinda ghetto, I know!) But I'll find a solution for that in the near future. Since the car interior is black, you really don't notice it.

I bought a universal bracket from Bracketron (MVM-15-05) and covered it with electrical tape (to prevent damage to the console) and I slid into a gap between the console and the dash (no screws or adhesives necessary). The iPod attaches to the bracket via velcro.

The good news is I have an iPod, good sound and full access to all the iPod controls.:thumbup: Bad news is that it is not integrated into the iDrive.:thumbdwn:

#325 ·
I am not sure, but if I understand the new USB based iPod integration correctly, this part may be useful: http://www.sik.com/imp.php

Basically, it lets you plug into the bottom of the iPod, and gives you 2 inputs...a USB/Power option, and a line out (not amplified....)

I am having the iDrive based integration installed this week, and am looking forward to it. I have the DICE solution in the X5, and not having to touch the iPod while driving is the way to go.

-Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.