Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA

Bimmerfest 2007: Santa Barbara, CA
Mark it on your calendar, Bimmerfest 2007 will be held on May 5, 2007 at the Earl Warren Showgrounds!
Sponsored by Supersprint North America

Old 05-06-2007, 07:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Bimmerfest 2008 - Where?

OK. I know this is Jon's baby, but I suspect there were close to 3,000 Bimmers there. A bigger venue is needed for 2008. I wish I could volunteer some place in Calabasas. But that won't work, either.

Here are a few ideas for Bimmerfest 2008. The parking lots at (A) Rose Bowl, (B) Staples Center, (C) Santa Anita (racing there ends a couple weeks before), (D) California Speedway or (E) Santa Monica airport.

If you have it in Lala Land, I suspect you will get 10,000 BMWs. You'll get just 5,000 alone from the L.A. area.

So, Jon, you did a brilliant job -- again -- but you've outgrown your venue. It's going to have to be in the big city next year. I'll do what I can to help you. You can stay at my place while getting it together. Manolo and the Phantom Roller will be at your disposal.
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Your first bimmerfest got you "hooked" Mal
Old 05-06-2007, 08:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang View Post
Your first bimmerfest got you "hooked" Mal
Not really, Bwang. As I wrote elsewhere, once you've seen 5,000 BMWs, you've seen 'em all. I mean, we didn't go for a drive in the twisties, or anything.

What I did like was having BMW vendors all in one place.

However, I would be willing to go to another one if the venue were carefully selected. Then, all the b!tching about the food and crowded conditions, etc., wouldn't exist.

Jon has simply become a victim of his own success.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:22 AM
im poor b/c i drive a BMW

Send a message via AIM to 2000Z3M Send a message via MSN to 2000Z3M
Mein Auto: 2000 M roadster
How about the east coast?
Mods in time: LTW wallet

Bimmerforums North East, Huge BMW meet
Old 05-06-2007, 08:24 AM
OG Member #321

Send a message via AIM to MarcusSanDiego
Mein Auto: 2008 X5
And push the event back a couple of weeks. I missed this event by a week. Won't be back to SoCal until next weekend.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer View Post
The parking lots at (A) Rose Bowl, (B) Staples Center, (C) Santa Anita (racing there ends a couple weeks before), (D) California Speedway or (E) Santa Monica airport.
F) New Jersey Meadowlands

Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 AM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Jon has simply become a victim of his own success.
Yup. That's exactly why some car events take breaks. Just enough time for the press to die down.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Sorry fellas... this discussion is pointless...
BIMMERFEST started in Santa Barbara. it will not be a bimmerfest outside of SB County.

SB is a nice place to visit and the weather is excellent, which is the reason why the attandance doubles every year since inception. There are plenty of BMW meet/events in SoCal that you can attend. It just aint' gonna be bimmerfest.

but WTF do I know...
Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 AM
The only cars to drive...

Mein Auto: 2002, 3.0 CS, Z4 3.0i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___ View Post
Old 05-06-2007, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto:
Why not one on each Coast? Atlanta?

I can't think of a parking lot in Santa Barbara County big enough to hold this. The closest I can think of is at Santa Barbara Airport (but poor facilities) or Vandenberg AFB (where Cobradav would feel right at home but with, again, poor facilities).

The beauty of Santa Barbara is that it's still a small town, something like 90,000 lucky residents. And that's precisely why it's too small.

Jon needs to "think global" now. This ain't "mom and pop" any more.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Admin Owner Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Why not one on each Coast? Atlanta?

I can't think of a parking lot in Santa Barbara County big enough to hold this. The closest I can think of is at Santa Barbara Airport (but poor facilities) or Vandenberg AFB (where Cobradav would feel right at home but with, again, poor facilities).

The beauty of Santa Barbara is that it's still a small town, something like 90,000 lucky residents. And that's precisely why it's too small.

Jon needs to "think global" now. This ain't "mom and pop" any more.

Malibu, what are your thoughts on Las Vegas?

...Just curious...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 05-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000Z3M View Post
How about the east coast?
Im DEFINATELY feelin' that!!!

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 05-06-2007, 10:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to razzy530
Mein Auto: 2007 530i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ___lk___ View Post

+1 once again!

2007 E60 530i - Current
2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMWCCA MEMBER #397411
Old 05-06-2007, 11:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2002tii / 1985 Euro M635
Quote:
OK. I know this is Jon's baby, but I suspect there were close to 3,000 Bimmers there. A bigger venue is needed for 2008. I wish I could volunteer some place in Calabasas. But that won't work, either.

Here are a few ideas for Bimmerfest 2008. The parking lots at (A) Rose Bowl, (B) Staples Center, (C) Santa Anita (racing there ends a couple weeks before), (D) California Speedway or (E) Santa Monica airport.

If you have it in Lala Land, I suspect you will get 10,000 BMWs. You'll get just 5,000 alone from the L.A. area.

So, Jon, you did a brilliant job -- again -- but you've outgrown your venue. It's going to have to be in the big city next year. I'll do what I can to help you. You can stay at my place while getting it together. Manolo and the Phantom Roller will be at your disposal.
Don't mess with perfection. Once again Jon did a fantastic job orgainizing the event and the venue. I drive up from Orange County and look forward to the trip to Santa Barbara. The weather is great and it is a very nice drive.

3,000 cars? No way! The lots were full but more like 1000 cars total. Maybe you had a little too much fun in the sun!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Bo-ma-win!

I believe 3,000 was a figure that was reached last year . Judging but the line and the continues flow of attendee coming in at noon time, I am estimating we probably hit 5,000 this year

this is not the official figure. Rather, its from a beewang's proven scientific S.W.A.G. method
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Malibu, what are your thoughts on Las Vegas?

...Just curious...
I have actually never been to Las Vegas, Jon! It would certainly have all the facilities. And they know how to put on a party. But the drive on I-15 I am afraid would be such a "target rich environment" for the CHP that a lot of guys will be pretty pissed off by the time they get there.

The ideal place, of course, is Santa Barbara, but the charm of the place is also the bane -- it's not big enough. So, somewhere else near the Pacific Ocean would be best. That's why Santa Monica Airport might be good. But it's a bit difficult to get to whereas the Rose Bowl and the California Speedway are served by several freeways.

I think next year you are looking at at least 7,000 cars, if not 10,000. So you need to set your sights. Because Southern California is the car mecca for BMWs west of Munchen, it really should stay here.

We could have it in my back yard, but I am afraid there would be a lot of complaints about the margaritas.

FYI: I am putting on two national events, in October 2007 and April or May 2008 in Reno. Hundreds of riders, horses and hounds. A bit different from car afficianados, but with the horses and hounds -- and horse trailers -- the logistics can be quite daunting, too. Reno has the Livestock Events Center, which may be one of the loci for activities, plus the former Reno Hilton (now called the Grand Sierra, I think) with a huge parking lot, even when the hotel is packed.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 05-06-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
I'd go to an Atlanta bimmerfest.

The Only 745i to Consider
Old 05-06-2007, 12:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:

I think next year you are looking at at least 7,000 cars, if not 10,000. So you need to set
You think so? I was there early and I'll wait for the official paid attendance, but I'll bet there were not even the 1400 cars or so that were registered. I'd guess less that 1000 cars showed up. And while the lines for food would suggest 100K people I'd guess maybe 2500.
But it was still fun fun fun!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Old 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Dude View Post
You think so? I was there early and I'll wait for the official paid attendance, but I'll bet there were not even the 1400 cars or so that were registered. I'd guess less that 1000 cars showed up. And while the lines for food would suggest 100K people I'd guess maybe 2500.
But it was still fun fun fun!!!
Wanna bet pink slips? I've been to the Showgrounds with 5,000 people there for equestrian events and this was bigger.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: E36 328is
Vegas sounds good... but...

Where would it be held at in Vegas?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
This was my first bimmerfest and I couldn't believe how packed it was. I thought I got the early at about 9 30 and I spent a good 30 minutes just trying to park so I could go get a drink. I also wished we could have gotten all the models together in one place...
Old 05-06-2007, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
What would people think about a longer event, maybe 2 days, at a racetrack?
Old 05-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Mein Auto: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
What would people think about a longer event, maybe 2 days, at a racetrack?
Its been mentioned by a few people, but how about Vegas? In particular, the Las Vegas Speedway. I'm not familiar with that venue, but the parking lot should be more than enough to hold 1,000s of Bimmers. Not to mention, they should have better food facilities, and with the nearby track, perhaps different track events like drag racing, autox and maybe a driving school? Or better yet, paying for ride alongs with pro drivers like Bill Auberlein(did I spell that right)?

And 2 additional bonuses - we could all go to the Valley of Fire sinces its a few miles North of the speedway on the 15 and from there take this friggin awesome road back to Vegas. Its like 50+ miles of twisties! We could have the road rally again, and it won't impede traffic nearly as much as it does in SB. Plus of course, its Vegas - we could easily make it a 2 or 3-day weekend of fun.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Vegas will be hot as stink. Santa Barbara was its usual beautiful, perfect day self. Jon, I have an incredible event planner who could make this a Grade I event for you, if you're interested, with celebs in attendance, too. She and I used to work together. PM me with your e-mail addy if you're interested. I've lost it. (She's expensive, though.)

First thing is, you've got to decide where to have it. I still vote for Southern California. Remember - what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. And, there will be a lot of jealous wives who won't let their husbands go -- thinking it's all a ruse.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Addicted To Autocross

Mein Auto: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Quote:
I have actually never been to Las Vegas, Jon!
Quote:
Vegas will be hot as stink.
I've been to Las Vegas well over a hundred times, and it can get quite cold in the winter months, but in the Spring and Fall, its just fine IMHO. Avg. temperature in April is high 70s and mid 80s in May. I avoid going there in the summertime of course, cause yea - then its gets triple-digit hot easily. Bimmerfest used to be in early April, so if its held at that time it would be just fine.

As for the number of cars, Jon Shafer posted over on Bimmerforums that about 1,600 BMWs showed up. Don't know how many people were actually there though.