Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-23-2007, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: bmw328is cabrio e36 1998
Exclamation A Few Problems :help Pretty Please

Hello I Have a few problems with my bimmer If anyone could help? Two are electrical faults I think.
NO:1
Well one is the drivers side door window keeps going down a little bit and the interior light comes on. I think my car thinks I must be opening the door! Is it normal for all bmw or just cabrios for the door windows to go down a little bit when oping doors and in my case taking the roof down.
NO:2
Another problem has just started the other day. I noticed when I went to open the door it only opened that door and not all of them. Then I used my alarm which opens and locks the doors as it sets the alarm and they all worked fine.
They seem to be working ok now but like my window problem I think it will be back. Its bloody frustrating the window and light coming on when driving.
NO:3
Which is probably the worst is a engine problem? Well is it normal for your car to use nearly all its oil between services. On any other car I have had it always had most of its oil there when serviced ! Then I was doing oil change every 10,000 . I see most of you do it every 5,000 . I am pretty sure it has not done more than 5,000 since last change and it was on bottom of oil stick. (there is no oil on floor and my exhaust smoke is clean)
One time there was no oil on stick and I wondered why my engine temp was getting so hot and this strange noise coming from engine. The valves were clankingbut no oil light warning! (Put some valve cleaning in what sorted the noise)
My dad says i should get shot of it!
Ads by Google
Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Hey buddy

Coupe's do the window thing too as they have to lock into the roof when you close the door. There is a mircoswitch behind the panel that deals with this. if it goes a bit mad sometimes, it may need replacing

As for the oil, when you say it is all gone, do you mean it is still on the dipstick but at the very bottom? M52 engines do 'use' their oil and is perfectly normal. If is is using more than you would like, try using a thicker fully synthetic oil. Do you know what oil was used last time? Do you do a lot of short trips from cold or is it more longer trips (25 miles or more)?

The ticking is probably either a hydraulic lifter that is sticking or your VANOS lower tensioner needs replacing (common).

From the stuff you have listed, i would not worry so much just yet but agree you might wanna get it sorted as soon as you can

Edirty6 for life
Old 06-23-2007, 03:01 PM

for pirate

Cheers pirate, Can always count on the british for a response.
I do not think it has synthetic oil in it at the last change.
Do you know how much the window switch costs?
I am considering selling as it has done 211km and getting Mercedes SLK 230 convertible as they are bloody cheap on ebay in germany. What do you think mate. Get one for about 12000 euros what has done 140k and is in better nick than mine and about what i could get for mine.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Still here

Sorry buddy, i am the wrong person to ask about Mercedes as i think they are trash (personal opinion)

Keep the E36 mate....'BMW steel' all the way

Window switch will not be much, i have no idea on an actual cost though hehehe

Edirty6 for life
Old 06-23-2007, 03:21 PM

yes i forgot to mention, could not see any traces of oil on the dipstick the first time. All I remeber is thinking feck he is putting alot of oil in! How much oil do they hold ? I think I worked out there was about half to 1 left if they hold 5 litres. still no oil light warning how low do you have to get them?
Old 06-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Still here

mine holds 6 litres buddy

If it used 4-5 litres then there is a leak somewhere buddy

If it definitely doesnt drop any, then the only place i can think it is going is into the cylinders....

Very very odd....

Edirty6 for life

Last edited by Pirate_copy; 06-23-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 03:31 PM

if it holds 6litres there must have been more left than half or 1 litres phew!!!!!!!!
It did not drop that over night! The inspection oil change light was on red for a while
Old 06-23-2007, 03:36 PM
Still here

Run it for a little while and see how it goes

Maybe the last oil was just too thin buddy

Edirty6 for life