Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 325i auto
Glove Box Flashlight Charger

I'm in the process of installing a mobile XM radio receiver and need a power source for it. I hate to use up my only cigarette lighter (Blackberry/cellphone has dibs on that) and don't want a splitter with a tangle of wires all over the front seat area either. So I was looking around and noticed the two holes on the left side of the glove box that look like some kind of electrical plug. Consulting my owners manual I saw that they are for a rechargeable flashlight that I don't have or need. I was thinking that I could construct a plug to fit in them (or solder to the backs of them) and run that wire back through to the place on my lower dash where I intend to mount the XM. My voltage tester is on my boat and I don't want to drive an hour each way to go get it so was wondering if anyone else out there can tell me if those plugs are 12 volts or not, and if so, what's the polarity (top+,bottom-, or vice versa) ? Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2007, 11:13 AM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
You can buy one alreay set to use straight from BMW or any # of aftermarket parts places like Bavarian Auto, etc. The item is called an AuXillary power supply and the BMW part # is 82 11 0 004 075. They are about $9. They can also be found on eBay all the time for even cheaper. It would most likely cost as much to make one as it would be to buy a factory one.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf860 View Post
You can buy one alreay set to use straight from BMW or any # of aftermarket parts places like Bavarian Auto, etc. The item is called an AuXillary power supply and the BMW part # is 82 11 0 004 075. They are about $9. They can also be found on eBay all the time for even cheaper. It would most likely cost as much to make one as it would be to buy a factory one.
Thanks for the info, I looked on EBay and found a photo of one but not for sale right now. Since it has a regular cig lighter attached to it, I trust that it is 12V. Now that I know what it is, I could order it from a dealer. However, I don't really want to have to have my glove box open when I'm using it and the manufactured plug looks like that would be required, so will probably remove the box and try to solder something in myself. Thanks again for explaining just what it is and does.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 318tdse
buy the torch strip it and use the connections to plug in thus you can shut the glove box also that plug just has 2 small clips either side that push in allowing the plug to be removed and you could always hide it behind the glovebox as well
Old 06-22-2007, 12:32 PM
M status achieved!

Mein Auto: 94 325i, 98 Protege
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
Thanks for the info, I looked on EBay and found a photo of one but not for sale right now. Since it has a regular cig lighter attached to it, I trust that it is 12V. Now that I know what it is, I could order it from a dealer. However, I don't really want to have to have my glove box open when I'm using it and the manufactured plug looks like that would be required, so will probably remove the box and try to solder something in myself. Thanks again for explaining just what it is and does.
Yeah, if you wanted it concealed I'd just tap into it from the back side. behind the glove box walls and run the power wherever. The flashlight does not draw much power at all so you could probably even install the flashlight and have it charging too!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonf860 View Post
Yeah, if you wanted it concealed I'd just tap into it from the back side. behind the glove box walls and run the power wherever. The flashlight does not draw much power at all so you could probably even install the flashlight and have it charging too!
Thanks for the help guys! I ordered one of those aux power plugs yesterday from the dealer and he said it would be a week, so I removed the panel, just in front of the shift lever (automatic) and just below the computer, that the existing cigarette lighter plug is in, and spliced into that and then ran the wire up over the back and down through the top of the plastic box just above it to supply power to the XM radio. To hold the XM radio, I had a local machine shop (closed this morning but he was there and made the part and refused payment!) cut a strip of aluminum 6" X 2" with a 90 degree bend 1.5 inches from one end. Then I drilled a couple of holes in the long part of the strip and bolted it to the inside of the top of the box beneath the computer with the 1.5 inch part hanging out and pointing downward, Then I bolted the XM cradle to that aluminum so it holds the receiver just in front of the shift lever and obstructing the middle strip of buttons of the computer when the receiver is plugged in. The downside is that the computer buttons are obstructed but I hardly ever touch themt anyway and I can still reach the left-most buttons (range and gas mileage) which are the 2 I use the most. The good part of this location is that it's out of the way and easily visible but blends in so you don't notice it right away.

If anyone else is interested in mounting an XM radio similarly, and wants to get a better look to help them decide about possible locations, let me know and I'll try to post pix (never have before, thus "try") or email them directly to you.

Thanks again for the info about the plug, even though I didn't use it for this project. It'll still be nice to have and available for pax cellphones or maybe even a small inverter.