Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-24-2007, 03:54 AM
Don't ask me, I'm a sofa.

Mein Auto: Bostongrün 1995 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
My reasoning (may not be correct) is that if they can safely withstand higher speeds, they will undergo less wear at, say, 90 mph than a tire that is closer to its max speed threshold. No reason not to, tires are a bad thing to skimp on.
I believe that the higher speed rating a tyre is - while not stricly following from that but generally the case - is they use a softer compound and the better internally balanced they are.

Softer compound = greater grip = faster wear.

I totally agree that tyres are never to be skimped on. They are the only thing holding you onto the black stuff. Doesn't matter if you've got racing brakes if your tyres don't stick.

"If you have a $60 life, buy a $60 tyre."
Old 06-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Smoke tires, not drugs

Send a message via AIM to xxx008xxx
Mein Auto: 1998 ///M3, 1999 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWredneck View Post
Ok heres the scenario...
Im sitting in th drive through at a local Burger king(which btw is the greatest fast food places ever), its taking them a little while to find the cow and stuff so I have been sitting in line for about 15 min. its around 90 degrees outside. I lok down, see that my car is overheating. I figure that since the car in front of me just moved that I will be fine and be able to get some air going through it before it completely goes crazy on me. It hasnt hit red yet, but its jumping up, not gradually moving. Its getting too hot way too fast. Well i wait about 2 more min, steam starts rolling...i say a few words to myself, get my food and pull into a parking spot to let it cool since i didnt want to put any stress on the system. I go to feel the hoses going into and out of the thermostat, grab the top one, its flamin hot, when i grabbed it i squeezed it a little to see if there was any pressure....I never made it to the second one.
When i grabbed the top hose and squeezed, it was like letting loose the hoover dam or something, all of a sudden i hear the sound like when you open a coke can, then hear the sizzling noise, then see this great big river of coolant coming from the tstat housing. This happened when I was a :new: bimmer owner and figured it was like a relif valve system or something. So once things got to normal, i went straight home, ate, then took a look at it, turns out that there is a crack in it going diagonally from almost corner to corner. Really suprised me and was thankfull i didnt get burned, but when it started making noise i jumped about 10 feet backwards. People was looking at me like i was a retard sitting there eating french fries while messing with my engine. But hey, food and grease= a good meal. of course the fries already had a ton of grease on em but still. The coolant made em even better.
reading that story just put a smile to my face and made me laugh....i think it's becuase you were just like "whatever...all i want to do is eat my hot tasty french fries." and didn't care about the car blowing up...hahaha
Old 06-24-2007, 11:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to BMWredneck Send a message via Yahoo to BMWredneck
Mein Auto: 96 318is Auto
Ok i have a question for yall.
Is it cheaper to fix my car myself...or set my car up towhere someone rear ends me or takes the front off my car and have their insurance pay for it?
Old 06-24-2007, 11:53 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Dont think anyone here would advocate an insurance scam mate

I wont after what almost happened to me last week!!!

Edirty6 for life
Old 06-24-2007, 12:05 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
wait....redneck....
do you happen to have a citroen?
Old 06-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to BMWredneck Send a message via Yahoo to BMWredneck
Mein Auto: 96 318is Auto
a citroen?
not sure what that is.
Meh, it would be really hard to prove that its insurance fraud though, if they dont have insurance mine will pay for me.
Funny thing was after i made that post i went on a drive south to Ocean City, on the way back...i almost got Tboned by some douche trying to pull out of a side street and wanted to be all the way in the other lane, not the one next to her. Actually she wanted the lane i was in. she was a hot mama though. I just waved at her. She wouldnt follow though. oh well.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:01 PM
<----MY girl....

Send a message via AIM to jh1328
Mein Auto: e36 325i
haha no i was kidding-pirate got screwed by a guy driving a citroen...trying to insurance fraud him or just mess with him...nm
Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 PM
I Am The Machine

Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_recliner View Post
I believe that the higher speed rating a tyre is - while not stricly following from that but generally the case - is they use a softer compound and the better internally balanced they are.

Softer compound = greater grip = faster wear.

I totally agree that tyres are never to be skimped on. They are the only thing holding you onto the black stuff. Doesn't matter if you've got racing brakes if your tyres don't stick.

"If you have a $60 life, buy a $60 tyre."
Sorry, I meant stress, not wear. Yeah, generally higher rated tires will wear faster. My mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana