Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 Chevy's and a Bimmer
Quick introduction and warranty info

First off, I think it's great to see E65/66 specific forum. I've tried other forums but they don't seem to have as much 'traffic'.

My name is Edward but everybody calls me E. I've been slowly researching the 7 series (E66 preferably) in hopes of evolving from American muscle to a Euro car for quite some time. Iíve been enamored with the new body style since day 1 - finally test drove an 02 745Li last December and instantly fell in love. Now IIRC, the 02 & 03's came with a 2 part warranty: 0-50k "bumper to bumper" if you will type warranty while the 50 - 100k is the secondary part of the warranty mainly emphasizing on drive train. Someone told me (this is where you gurus come in to set me straight) if mileage is under the first part of the warranty (0-50k and years) the owner or new owner has the ability to purchase an extended warranty "bumper to bumper" type that will apply after the 50k or years mark? Is this true?

Also, what are the pros and cons from owning an 02/03 vs. an 04? Both warranty wise and aesthetically. I think my budget allows an 04 in the equation but I'd like to get a fully loaded 7.45LI and concerned with maintenance. Iím located in Phoenix and there seems to be dealerships that only sell used BMWís and Mercedes but arenít actual mfg dealers.

Thank you in advance for all your help/suggestions/guidance!

E
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2007, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
E.
I could be wrong...but I bought a 04 with 42k and when I called the D...they told me that I was only able to purchase a maintenace warranty directly from the D and if I wanted a bumper to bumper I need to look at a third party warranty company....

Regards,

J.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, J!

I had a feeling the extended was through a third party. I failed to ask if there was any success doing so and how "strict" are they when filing a claim? My bad. So J, did you end up buying an extended warranty or using what was given from the mfg? I have a fear that issues will start popping up at 50,001 miles that aren't part of the secondary part of the warranty. Can you confirm the warranty for your 04?

E
Old 07-09-2007, 04:07 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
My 03 745Li has factory 100K "bumper to bumper" warranty and 50K maintenace warranty. It now looks like you can still upgrade your 50K maintenace warranty even if your over 50K. BMW Seattle told me that they just changed the policy on extending/renewing the maintenace warranty.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelife View Post
It now looks like you can still upgrade your 50K maintenace warranty even if your over 50K. BMW Seattle told me that they just changed the policy on extending/renewing the maintenace warranty.
This is excellent news to me, nitelife.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:04 AM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
More info on the extended maintenance warranty...

BMW Seattle wanted $2600 plus tax for another 2 years, 50,000 miles. There is a catch, you need to buy it before the car hits 60,000 miles. The guy at the dealership was very helpful. He said it is only worth it if you have NOT replace the brakes yet. With the extended maintenance warranty, the brakes and the 60K service will be covered at "discount". But if you replaced your brakes already, then it is not worth the money. Also, you need to be in person with your car key to buy it.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: Volvo XC90 & 2003 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitelife View Post
More info on the extended maintenance warranty...

BMW Seattle wanted $2600 plus tax for another 2 years, 50,000 miles. There is a catch, you need to buy it before the car hits 60,000 miles. The guy at the dealership was very helpful. He said it is only worth it if you have NOT replace the brakes yet. With the extended maintenance warranty, the brakes and the 60K service will be covered at "discount". But if you replaced your brakes already, then it is not worth the money. Also, you need to be in person with your car key to buy it.
As an aside, folks here have bought extended warranties (not sure if it is maintenance and/or bumper-to-bumper) through non-local dealers. You just have to mail a key to the dealer for them to process. Seems to have been a straightforward process...