Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan (Mieke)
1er WOW perfect racer?

Not that I am going to be looking to get rid of my new 335i sedan anytime soon, however if I were in the market for a Coupe it would be the 135i. For the price itís a steel to be getting the TT engine from the 335i. Overall if I were still into racing, both road and auto X I would defiantly be in line for a new 135i. I just sold my 05 Subaru STI that was very competitive on the track. But I would love to setup a 135i and give it a spin.

One of the best things about the 135i is that it will be the lightest New BMW available and has the tuning abilities of a turbo engine. For around $5k to $6k you can add the PROCeed tuner, and exhaust, new springs and sways and better tires. This would crank up the HP to almost the 08ís M3 level and up the Torque by ~100 lb ft above the new M3. All in a car that should be 300 Ė 400 lbs lighter.

The new 1er is poised to be one of the best overall coupes around. It makes me wonder why BMW is looking to cut into the sales of the 3 Series with the release of the new 1er. Especially the new M3, for about half the cost I would put my money on the 1er for overall potential.

Red.

2011 1M
Aug 8th ED
MADA drop off 8/18/11
Arrived at Port 9/21/11
Re-Delivery 10/10/11

07 335i Sedan
May 4th ED
MADA drop off 5/11/07
Arrived at Port 6/11/07
Re-delivery 6/27/07

04 330i ZHP
11 Mini Cooper Clubman S Hampton Package
72 BMWtii drove till dead - Remains one of the best cars I have ever owned
Ads by Google
Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
An LSD would be required to even think about the track.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 07 335i Sedan (Mieke)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
Your right, add ~$2k more for an aftermarket LSD

2011 1M
Aug 8th ED
MADA drop off 8/18/11
Arrived at Port 9/21/11
Re-Delivery 10/10/11

07 335i Sedan
May 4th ED
MADA drop off 5/11/07
Arrived at Port 6/11/07
Re-delivery 6/27/07

04 330i ZHP
11 Mini Cooper Clubman S Hampton Package
72 BMWtii drove till dead - Remains one of the best cars I have ever owned
Old 07-20-2007, 07:14 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by redadair View Post
Your right, add ~$2k more for an aftermarket LSD
My only concern here is that apparently (from the press release) the 135 uses some newly developed diff, which may have a different size/housing/gears than the one on the 335.

I'm sure there will be some aftermarket options in time, but maybe not for awhile?

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: Hot air balloon
I would be getting the 135i as a secondary daily driver (except for bad weather), so to speak. I think if I were going to get a car, mod it, and use it for track, I would get an Evo X. I have no intention of racing it or modding it (until the warranty is up anyways). I think as far as power in concerned, this will be a car well tuned out of the box. Only tweaking I would do would be to lower it maybe and upgrade the suspension, etc.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 07-20-2007, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanc3r View Post
The car would be just fine if the track doesn't have too many tight, 2nd-gear corners

My blog about test drive reviews & driving events: Driving Events
Old 07-20-2007, 02:13 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by redadair View Post
Not that I am going to be looking to get rid of my new 335i sedan anytime soon, however if I were in the market for a Coupe it would be the 135i. For the price itís a steel to be getting the TT engine from the 335i. Overall if I were still into racing, both road and auto X I would defiantly be in line for a new 135i. I just sold my 05 Subaru STI that was very competitive on the track. But I would love to setup a 135i and give it a spin.
I'd expect the 135i to be a competitive machine, owing to the power it has and the fact that BMW is finally gracing one of their cars with halfway decent brakes. Still, I wouldn't buy one for that purpose.

What most people don't seem to realize is that unless you're a fool with your money, or so well off that you simply don't care, you don't buy a relatively expensive brand new car and dedicate it to track use. Most of the guys who make a habit out of it will build something out of an older/cheaper chassis that'll be more practical to customize and won't break the bank if it meets the armco.

Furthermore, there's a lot of work involved in converting a car to a track sled. Half the time you're going to pull apart the chassis anyhow, so what you start with isn't immensely important. Good though the 135i's suspension and brakes may be, they still won't be too happy with continuous track abuse.

Sure, it can be fun to run a GT3 or Z06 down to the track from time to time, but the vast majority of people tracking such machines (even enthusiast cars like the GT3) will leave them street legal and keep them around primarily for weekends and the like.

Now, if you're just looking for a daily or weekend driver that you can run down to the track and have fun with, well - the 135i would be fine for that. Just swap out tires and pads and you'll be good to go.

Quote:
One of the best things about the 135i is that it will be the lightest New BMW available and has the tuning abilities of a turbo engine. For around $5k to $6k you can add the PROCeed tuner, and exhaust, new springs and sways and better tires. This would crank up the HP to almost the 08ís M3 level and up the Torque by ~100 lb ft above the new M3. All in a car that should be 300 Ė 400 lbs lighter.
200 lbs lighter, not 300-400. The lightest model is and will remain the Z4.

Quote:
The new 1er is poised to be one of the best overall coupes around. It makes me wonder why BMW is looking to cut into the sales of the 3 Series with the release of the new 1er. Especially the new M3, for about half the cost I would put my money on the 1er for overall potential.
People will continue to buy the M3 by name and prestige alone - the car itself has long since lost any resemblance to the original version. It's a relatively low production niche model anyhow, so it's more out to win rag comparos and generate positive press for the company as a whole (which will spur sales of the cheaper models) than to actually generate any sort of supportive revenue on its own (though it is a profitable model, to be sure).