Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 AM
LonghornTX LonghornTX is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: E34 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
There are RE050 RFT and non-RFT versions - are these treads different?
Yea, I knew that as well. Personally, I dont really want to take the time to figure it out .

I hope it comes without RFTs, because if not that will be the first thing I ditch.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 07-16-2007, 10:32 AM
terps terps is offline
Banned
Location: DC/VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: Bimmer of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
Yea, I knew that as well. Personally, I dont really want to take the time to figure it out .

I hope it comes without RFTs, because if not that will be the first thing I ditch.
RFT's suck. Mine were ridiculously loud. Let's hope the car comes with regular spare tire, though I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 07-16-2007, 11:03 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
Yea, I knew that as well. Personally, I dont really want to take the time to figure it out.
Checking out replacement tires on Tirerack today, I noticed that the RFT and non-RFT tread pattern seems to be identical. So there is still a possibility that the 135 does not come with RFTs.

Another indication could be that it does not have the dual-muffler exhaust a la 335, which means there could be enough room under the trunk floor for a spare.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 07-17-2007, 08:15 AM
terps terps is offline
Banned
Location: DC/VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: Bimmer of course!
I thought that RFT are the way that BMW is going on their entire line? Any reason to expect the 135 will be different? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terps View Post
I thought that RFT are the way that BMW is going on their entire line? Any reason to expect the 135 will be different? Thanks.
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that some 5 series models can have non-RFT tires (if you order a sport pack).

M models don't have RFT tires.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 07-17-2007, 10:23 AM
philippek philippek is offline
Proud S ponsor
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,678
Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that some 5 series models can have non-RFT tires (if you order a sport pack).
It's exactly reversed: non-sport 525s, 528, 530s and 545s got conventional tyres, and the sports got RFs. All of them still had donut spares though.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek.com View Post
It's exactly reversed: non-sport 525s, 528, 530s and 545s got conventional tyres, and the sports got RFs. All of them still had donut spares though.
That's so counterintuitive! You'd imagine whoever choses the Sport Pack is interested more in ultimate performance...
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 PM
Bob Clevenger's Avatar
Bob Clevenger Bob Clevenger is offline
ex-M couper
Location: Ontario, Calif.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,742
Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
If you are interested in ultimate performance you will buy a set of racing tyres for the track and not give a fig for what tyres the manufacturer puts on the car from the factory.

If a street-driven car doesn't have a full-sized spare it ought to have run-flat tyres. One or the other. Flat tyres happen.
__________________
Bob, Lord Helpus, KtR

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-18-2007, 07:41 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger View Post
If you are interested in ultimate performance you will buy a set of racing tyres for the track and not give a fig for what tyres the manufacturer puts on the car from the factory.
I think you may need some extra wheels too, eh?

Not sure I want to buy track wheels and tires if I only go there once a year. But even if I did, that would still leave the question of performance and feel on the street...

Quote:
If a street-driven car doesn't have a full-sized spare it ought to have run-flat tyres. One or the other. Flat tyres happen.
I disagree. If it has runflats, I can ditch them and buy a donut spare or steel wheel to keep in the trunk. I don't like runflats, after having driven on them for almost 3000 miles in my 335 Euro Delivery. They are too stiff (and the suspension too soft as a result) and cause the car to skitter sideways when you least expect it. Furthermore, the selection is VERY limited.

So my problem with runflats is twofold:
- If the car is designed for runflats, it will likely have a softer suspension to accomodate the much stiffer sidewalls.
- To get rid of them, you incur additional expense and trouble. It shouldn't be that way for "The Ultimate Driving Machine".

Consider this - for the 335, BMW has eliminated the spare wheel well, and what did they replace it with? A massive, heavy dual-muffler exhaust system and a useless little tray.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 07-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Bob Clevenger's Avatar
Bob Clevenger Bob Clevenger is offline
ex-M couper
Location: Ontario, Calif.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,742
Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
All I can add to this discussion is that my 650i came with RFT and my car handles better than I want to drive on any public road. I have had no problems with my RFT in over 15,000 miles (both in Europe and America) other than picking up a screw in a parking lot. I drove home on the flat tyre and then to the nearest BMW dealer, and got a replacement tyre which was paid for by the wheel and tyre insurance.

I prefer to have a spare, but RFTs seem to be up to the job on my car.
__________________
Bob, Lord Helpus, KtR

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 07-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Jeff_DML Jeff_DML is offline
doh!!!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,185
Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger View Post
I have had no problems with my RFT in over 15,000 miles (both in Europe and America) other than picking up a screw in a parking lot. I drove home on the flat tyre and then to the nearest BMW dealer, and got a replacement tyre which was paid for by the wheel and tyre insurance.

I prefer to have a spare, but RFTs seem to be up to the job on my car.
seems like a problem to me

I seem to pick up screws quite often and have no problem patching my non-runflat. Havcing to replace the RFT is unacceptable to me. yeah I can buy insurance like you but that sure seems like a waste to throw away perfectly good tires
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 AM
terps terps is offline
Banned
Location: DC/VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: Bimmer of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
seems like a problem to me

I seem to pick up screws quite often and have no problem patching my non-runflat. Havcing to replace the RFT is unacceptable to me. yeah I can buy insurance like you but that sure seems like a waste to throw away perfectly good tires
You don't have to replace RFT's everytime you get a nail. You can still patch the old fashioned way if the nail is on the tread, it's only when it's on the sidewall that you have to replace the entire tire.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 AM
adc adc is offline
BMW Fahrer
Location: DC-MD-VA
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,642
Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by terps View Post
You don't have to replace RFT's everytime you get a nail. You can still patch the old fashioned way if the nail is on the tread, it's only when it's on the sidewall that you have to replace the entire tire.
You cannot patch the RFT if you have driven too many miles on it with zero pressure. Not sure what the threshold is, but if you drive on it too much after the "flat", the rubber heats up too much and degrades, becoming unsuitable for further use. This has been discussed before...

The other problem with patching it is that not all tire shops are willing to do it.
__________________

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 07-19-2007, 11:43 AM
Bob Clevenger's Avatar
Bob Clevenger Bob Clevenger is offline
ex-M couper
Location: Ontario, Calif.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,742
Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Exactly. I was willing to repair the tyre but the BMW dealer wasn't. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.
__________________
Bob, Lord Helpus, KtR

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 07-19-2007, 12:25 PM
philippek philippek is offline
Proud S ponsor
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,678
Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger View Post
Exactly. I was willing to repair the tyre but the BMW dealer wasn't. I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it.
BMW dealerships won't. Liability.

But I do have a couple of reputable places that will repair for a shockingly low cost ($20 vs. $400+ for a new tire). Had it happen to my Z4 at just 2900 miles, very glad not to have to shell out 4 bills.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Jeff_DML Jeff_DML is offline
doh!!!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,185
Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
I patch my tires with repair kit from pep boys
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 07-19-2007, 03:47 PM
DeludedBuzz DeludedBuzz is offline
Registered User
Location: East Bay
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: not a bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX View Post
4. The 135i will likely be built on a stiffer chassis than the e46 (considering that the e90 is noticebly more solid feeling than the E46 IMO)
I thought the 1 series was built off an e46 chassis?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Jeff_DML Jeff_DML is offline
doh!!!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,185
Mein Auto: 08 E90 M3 sold->M2 comp
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeludedBuzz View Post
I thought the 1 series was built off an e46 chassis?
question of the day, c&d said that, anybody confirm? rear suspension looks like e90 based on the diagrams
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 07-19-2007, 04:34 PM
Bob Clevenger's Avatar
Bob Clevenger Bob Clevenger is offline
ex-M couper
Location: Ontario, Calif.
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,742
Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I patch my tires with repair kit from pep boys
I've done that too (but not on the 6er).
__________________
Bob, Lord Helpus, KtR

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM
Redwood Redwood is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 1999 328i (E46)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
question of the day, c&d said that, anybody confirm? rear suspension looks like e90 based on the diagrams
C&D was wrong as far as I know. Everything I've read before the E90 came out is that the E90 is actually based on an enlarged 1-series design. Backwards I know, but here's to hoping it's that good of a chassis. Thanks for the reminder. I've been meaning to email C&D about that ever since I read that issue.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Northcar Northcar is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,756
Mein Auto: 335i E93 Verte
New Colors

Wonder if those two new colors (Sedona Red A79) (Crystal Blue A77) will be available across the line?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-24-2007, 11:55 PM
diablolique diablolique is offline
Banned
Location: San Jose
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: SG 330i!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northcar View Post
Wonder if those two new colors (Sedona Red A79) (Crystal Blue A77) will be available across the line?
May just be a color they keep specific to the 1-series
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms