Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:58 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I thought the original M5 and M6 were kind of like that, for their day. Fast, to be certain, but no racers. In that context, the E30 M3 was truly an exception, the oddity, the tattoed cousing you're embarrased to invite over for dinner.

And I am not so sure the E30 M3 was an unqualified sales success. I don't have the numbers, but would not be surprised to find out they sold more M5/M6s than M3s.

Therefore I see absolutely no business case for a pared-to-basics 3100lbs M1 with a brand new, screaming 8500RPM 4cyl engine.
That's the point. Make it different - unique. Not just a stripped down M3 or a priced up 135i. It's gotten to the point where most people simply assume that the car will just be an even more powerful version of the base model - nothing more, nothing less. It's a reasonable assumption.

I'm well aware of the fact that most of the M cars are grand tourers. Always have been - BMW has used that little emblem for marketing reasons far more than anything else; they've been slapping M badges on all sorts of cars for decades. That's why I like to joke that "M" actually stands for "Marketing" or "Money."

I think there's even less of a market for a more powerful car in the same vein as the 135i, because there's so little room to place it. Do you make it weaker than the M3? You'd almost have to, to avoid cannibalism. But then, it's not much more capable than the 135i - so you just hope the badge is enough, and you have to keep the price gap to a minimum. It's simply too easy to add power to the 135i or swap out a suspension to use an uprated engine or some suspension tweaking as a selling point for an M1.

So, that's what I'm saying: make it different, or simply don't build it.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:15 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
The E28 M5/E24 M6 had a 3.5L engine. 286/3.5= <82 hp/L.

However, I thought the point was obvious.....but....What other car priced at $35k or less was getting nearly 90hp/L?
Point taken.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE
Old 07-25-2007, 07:20 AM
BMW Fahrer

Mein Auto: E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
So, that's what I'm saying: make it different, or simply don't build it.
I understand, I think. Kind of like the Audi A3 V6 3.2 Quattro and the S3.

What I am saying is that the market for such a machine would be minuscule, and the business case bad - IMO.

adc
09 M3 Sedan ED
12 MINI Countryman S All4
93 Miata LE