Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 07-26-2007, 04:26 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i 1987
Automatic 525i radiator failure in rain??

Hi, This is my first post to this forum, so forgive me if I am repeating a previous question. I haven't managed to find an answer on here yet and am after some expert advice!!

I became a proud BMW owner exactly 2 weeks ago when I purchased a gorgeous old 1987 525i from a family who had obviously loved this car for years, fsh the lot! I was chuffed to bits to say the least.

Anyway, we get no further than 5 miles from the cars old home when the heavens opened and flash floods ensued, I had to drive the new beast through burst drains and lots of water. It seemed ok, until it stopped raining.

At this point all power was lost, I had my foot flat to the floor but no speed was coming. Being an automatic I thought maybe I was doing something wrong (if that's possible?!) so I pulled over, when I did the engine started losing lots of fluid, blue fluid which I now know as the anti-freeze!!!

I let the car cool, topped up the water & started again and it was fine for a while then, about 5 miles later lost all it's water again! Again I did the same in a desperate attempt just to get it home, and it was fine all the way home.

I took it to the garage the next day for a check up and they couldn't find anything wrong.

It's been driving fine again until yesterday when it rained?!?!? Now is this just coincidence or what?!?

Can anyone shed any light on my problem please? All ideas welcome

Many Thanks
Allie
xx
Ads by Google