Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-21-2007, 02:23 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
1 series competition, the 2009 JCW Cooper S

Details are firming up, it'll be faster than the last gen JWP GP, will have a unique body kit, suspension and LSD, and will cost less than the old JCW, which i think was around $27k base?

I think I'd take this over the 135i, but they're different kind of cars.

http://motoringfile.com/2007/07/16/2...-the-stage-ii/
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 07-21-2007, 03:31 PM
hts hts is offline
I'm a Mac
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,625
Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
FWD over RWD?

__________________
(sure hope i don't get banned for this benign post).

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-21-2007, 04:57 PM
kjboyd's Avatar
kjboyd kjboyd is offline
Drink the koolaid or else
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,102
Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
maybe someday there will be a Mini Cooper Xsi
__________________
Kevin


-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
FWD over RWD?

Cooper S or Integra Type R are two of the most fun cars to drive.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 AM
hts hts is offline
I'm a Mac
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,625
Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
I owned a '96 GS-r (before the Type R became available) right before I bought my 330i in 2001 and would have to agree. In many respects, my Integra was much more engaging/satisfying than my BMW. That being said, I think the virtues of RWD over FWD are more than self-evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
Cooper S or Integra Type R are two of the most fun cars to drive.
__________________
(sure hope i don't get banned for this benign post).

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
I owned a '96 GS-r (before the Type R became available) right before I bought my 330i in 2001 and would have to agree. In many respects, my Integra was much more engaging/satisfying than my BMW. That being said, I think the virtues of RWD over FWD are more than self-evident.
Question is though, would you pay like $10k more for a 135i if the JCW Cooper S is more fun, just cause it's rear drive? Actually I probably would if it was a hatch like the Cooper S, but if you factor in the Mini having better gas mileage and more practical, then I think the Mini wins.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 AM
kurichan kurichan is offline
Waiting for the 135i!
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,457
Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
M.R. > F.R. > F.F.

Drove an 07 Mini-Cooper. I don't get it. Didn't feel planted at all. Even the 07 Civic Si is FAR better in terms of handling (even the sedan). But if you want real handling, F.F. is a non-starter. My weekend car is M.R. That's the ultimate! Drifts in a good M.R. are sublime.
__________________
7/17/04 - 7/20/07: 04 Imola Red/Alcantara 330i (ZHP, 6MT, moonroof, xenon, silver cube). 135i ED next!

Last edited by kurichan; 07-22-2007 at 11:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2007, 12:34 PM
LonghornTX LonghornTX is offline
Registered User
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 63
Mein Auto: E34 525i
the wierd ergonomics of the interior would keep me from ever owning a Mini.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2007, 12:46 PM
philippek philippek is offline
Proud S ponsor
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 5,668
Mein Auto: Z4 M Cpe, Miata, X6 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
Question is though, would you pay like $10k more for a 135i if the JCW Cooper S is more fun, just cause it's rear drive? Actually I probably would if it was a hatch like the Cooper S, but if you factor in the Mini having better gas mileage and more practical, then I think the Mini wins.
Way too little information right now. I doubt the delta between the Super MINI and the 135i will be $10k. My WAG puts that difference at closer to $5k. And just how much power will the MINI have? 250+ hp? That much power through the front wheels will scary, think Saab Viggen. That's certainly not my definition of fun. And I doubt fuel economy will be much better in the MINI... the 135i is already at 30mpg, and the basic Cooper only manages 40mpg.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2007, 02:42 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,400
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
Way too little information right now. I doubt the delta between the Super MINI and the 135i will be $10k. My WAG puts that difference at closer to $5k. And just how much power will the MINI have? 250+ hp? That much power through the front wheels will scary, think Saab Viggen. That's certainly not my definition of fun. And I doubt fuel economy will be much better in the MINI... the 135i is already at 30mpg, and the basic Cooper only manages 40mpg.
I get 30 mpg combined with my 07 cooper s and I'm on the gas hard all the time. On long freeway drives I'm seeing 35 mpg at 80-85 mph.

that said, I'd prefer RWD over a JCW Mini. The power on the mini right now is fine; it's the FWD that handicaps the car.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
hts hts is offline
I'm a Mac
Location: Phoenix
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 17,625
Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
keep in mind that i currently own both an 01 330i SP and an 07 boxster s. i'm planning to sell the bimmer in the next month or two and just keep the boxster for now. then the plan is to grow up in a year or two, ditch the boxster at the end of its lease and buy a 5er (535?) and perhaps another toy (thinking 135 vert).

sure wish bmw would bring out the nextgen 5er in 2009 instead of 2010, but that's another thread...
__________________
(sure hope i don't get banned for this benign post).

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post
Way too little information right now. I doubt the delta between the Super MINI and the 135i will be $10k. My WAG puts that difference at closer to $5k. And just how much power will the MINI have? 250+ hp? That much power through the front wheels will scary, think Saab Viggen. That's certainly not my definition of fun. And I doubt fuel economy will be much better in the MINI... the 135i is already at 30mpg, and the basic Cooper only manages 40mpg.
The latest word on the JCW Stage 2 is 212 hp (probably a lot of torque though), and it'll cost about $5k, which includes a body, kit, suspension, and LSD.

EVO magazine reviewed a 350 hp Mini, and said torque steer was not a problem.

My 330i get "30 mpg" too, but it's really more like 22 mpg.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:16 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueguydotcom View Post
that said, I'd prefer RWD over a JCW Mini. The power on the mini right now is fine; it's the FWD that handicaps the car.
I think you're the kind of driver who likes to go sideways on occasion, right? But many drivers of rear drive cars have fat 255 rear tires and stability control, and probably think opposite lock is some new feature on their key fob.

I think in a Mini, I'd miss rear drive, but in my 330i, I miss the feel of a lightweight car - it's a tradeoff, until someone makes a rear drive Mini.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Chris90's Avatar
Chris90 Chris90 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Massachusetts
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 13,797
Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
M.R. > F.R. > F.F.

Drove an 07 Mini-Cooper. I don't get it. Didn't feel planted at all. Even the 07 Civic Si is FAR better in terms of handling (even the sedan). But if you want real handling, F.F. is a non-starter. My weekend car is M.R. That's the ultimate! Drifts in a good M.R. are sublime.
I've not driven the new Mini, or the new Civic Si - the problem with any recent Honda I've driven is there's absolutely no feeling through the steering, throttle, brake pedal and clutch. I hate the video game feel.

That's why I haven't driven the new Si, I'm worried it'll be a major letdown like the TSX.
__________________
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." - Cherokee Expression
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM
bear330 bear330 is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: '08 RX-8 40th Ann Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
The latest word on the JCW Stage 2 is 212 hp (probably a lot of torque though), and it'll cost about $5k, which includes a body, kit, suspension, and LSD.
If it does end up including a body kit, JCW suspension and LSD, this is gonna be a huge deal that nobody can refuse. The car would be faster than the dealer-installed Stage I at a lower price (when you add dealer installation fee and assuming you are getting JCW body kit, suspension and LSD -- which many do -- anyways). Cannot wait for it to arrive, though unfortunately for me, most likely it won't be an option on 2009 Clubman.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,406
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear330 View Post
If it does end up including a body kit, JCW suspension and LSD, this is gonna be a huge deal that nobody can refuse. The car would be faster than the dealer-installed Stage I at a lower price (when you add dealer installation fee and assuming you are getting JCW body kit, suspension and LSD -- which many do -- anyways). Cannot wait for it to arrive, though unfortunately for me, most likely it won't be an option on 2009 Clubman.


Stage 1 kit will consist of intake, exhaust and ECU program... suggested install time is 2 hrs and the kit is $2100 MSRP... so even if you get marked up labor times/rates, it should be well under $2500. This kit is said to match the performance of the previous JCW R53 models, which had a much more expensive tuning kit. Also, the Stage 1 kit will not hurt fuel economy.
__________________
2011 BMW 335xi Sedan -- Black Sapphire / Black Leather
Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages, Navigation

Former: 2013 335i xDrive Sedan -- 2011 335i xDrive Coupe -- 2009 MCS JCW -- 2006 MZ4 -- 2002 325i -- 1997 318ti -- 1991 318i
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
bear330 bear330 is offline
Registered User
Location: Long Island
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: '08 RX-8 40th Ann Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Stage 1 kit will consist of intake, exhaust and ECU program... suggested install time is 2 hrs and the kit is $2100 MSRP... so even if you get marked up labor times/rates, it should be well under $2500. This kit is said to match the performance of the previous JCW R53 models, which had a much more expensive tuning kit. Also, the Stage 1 kit will not hurt fuel economy.
But if you add JCW aero kit ($2500), JCW suspension ($875), LSD ($500), and include installation fee, it is way over $5k. I did not consider the bit about fuel economy, but you cannot ignore the advantage of factory options over dealer-installed accessories either, so overall, Stage II sounds like a great deal to me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,400
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Stage 1 kit will consist of intake, exhaust and ECU program... suggested install time is 2 hrs and the kit is $2100 MSRP... so even if you get marked up labor times/rates, it should be well under $2500. This kit is said to match the performance of the previous JCW R53 models, which had a much more expensive tuning kit. Also, the Stage 1 kit will not hurt fuel economy.
2k on an ecu, intake and exhaust? Good grief, so they're marking it up ~1k and then tacking on installation charges too?!

I guess one advantage - this will probably be something you can list when you sell the car as it's a real kit and could increase resale value, unlike non-factory mods.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:31 PM
brkf's Avatar
brkf brkf is offline
Not Wearing Pants
Location: Earth
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 13,400
Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg90 View Post
I think you're the kind of driver who likes to go sideways on occasion, right? But many drivers of rear drive cars have fat 255 rear tires and stability control, and probably think opposite lock is some new feature on their key fob.

I think in a Mini, I'd miss rear drive, but in my 330i, I miss the feel of a lightweight car - it's a tradeoff, until someone makes a rear drive Mini.
Right on all counts. The lightness is super fun but whenever I see a ZHP I still sigh. I did it at lunch today and then again on our evening walk I spied a ZHP and let a little sound too.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Bruce128iC's Avatar
Bruce128iC Bruce128iC is offline
Custom User ***le Removed
Location: North Hollywood, CA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,276
Mein Auto: 2014 ATS 3.6; 2012 128iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkarma View Post
keep in mind that i currently own both an 01 330i SP and an 07 boxster s. i'm planning to sell the bimmer in the next month or two and just keep the boxster for now. then the plan is to grow up in a year or two, ditch the boxster at the end of its lease and buy a 5er (535?) and perhaps another toy (thinking 135 vert).

sure wish bmw would bring out the nextgen 5er in 2009 instead of 2010, but that's another thread...
OMG! I might have the same car as HTS!
__________________
2012 128iC
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Design1stCode2n Design1stCode2n is offline
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 72
Mein Auto: 08 STI
Love the way the Mini looks but whenever I seem to price them on miniís website I end up near 30k not including a JCW package. While the MazdaSpeed 3 isnít near as distinctive I think Iíd have to take that over a mini and spend about 1-2k on Mazdaspeed accessories (exhaust, CAI, etc) and save 5-10k. If I did go FWD Iíd probably opt for a 08 Audi TT. FWD is great on your average car but once you up the power it just doesnít work well. A RWD car or RWD based AWD system is more involving to me as a driver.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
MEENEEBoy MEENEEBoy is offline
Registered User
Location: SoCal, USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: MINI Cooper S & Audi A3
I can careless 'bout the competition. I've got my Cooper S now and don't mind of adding the 1er. Just luv both!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-06-2007, 03:17 PM
fuhgetaboutit fuhgetaboutit is offline
Registered User
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 52
Mein Auto: 2002 325i
The Mini as never entered into my car buying decisions. For me it is too cute and different. Definitely a nice looking car, but not in a way that makes me personally want to own one.

So I await the 1.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms