Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:36 PM

Mein Auto: 1986 BMW 325e
Question Too much wheel offset a bad thing?

I know that offsetting the wheels gives you a wider look and since the car is wider it handles better and everything, but isn't it bad for your wheel bearings? Or are most offsets not enough to cause a problem? I'm asking because i have a set of wheels that are not hub-centric and so they vibrate a lot. So i was gonna just buy new wheels and would like more options so I was thinking of getting the 4 to 5 lug conversion which will also give me a higher offset. I was just worried that it may cause problems. Or i may just decide to keep my wheels and get some thing to stop the vibrating. I don't know what i would need there either. Any help would be awesome! Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2007, 12:32 AM
Mrsweden

Send a message via AIM to mrsweden Send a message via MSN to mrsweden
Mein Auto: BMW E30 E36 TURBOOOOO
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mflij511 View Post
I know that offsetting the wheels gives you a wider look and since the car is wider it handles better and everything, but isn't it bad for your wheel bearings? Or are most offsets not enough to cause a problem? I'm asking because i have a set of wheels that are not hub-centric and so they vibrate a lot. So i was gonna just buy new wheels and would like more options so I was thinking of getting the 4 to 5 lug conversion which will also give me a higher offset. I was just worried that it may cause problems. Or i may just decide to keep my wheels and get some thing to stop the vibrating. I don't know what i would need there either. Any help would be awesome! Thanks

Hi there!

The question is how wide u wanna go!
I would buy a used (lug) or what u call it! A 5 lug from a e 36 and mod it some!
Its not bult on but pretty fuc...king close!
And it will give you 1-2 inch wider. Just make sure that its not hitting anything in the wheel house! If u do then it ll smell rubber 24/7!

And no bigger rims then 18" And tire that are bigger then 235/25-18 thats absolutly maximun i would go with 225/25-18

Mags Of sweden
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 325i
Is a 35mm offset to high for a stock 325i with a 2 inc drop?
Old 08-03-2007, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4, 07 Road King Cla
Admitting this in here will probably restrict me from posting another thread again. But I need to know. Can someone educate me on the "off-set" theory on wheels. What is off set relating to width of the wheel to the size of them.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by mflij511 View Post
True, options are limited for 4-lug hubs, but I think you should make functionality/reliability your priority and style secondary. BTW, I'm running 16x8 4 lug et20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused View Post
Is a 35mm offset to high for a stock 325i with a 2 inc drop?
Optimal offset for an E30 is et20-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
Admitting this in here will probably restrict me from posting another thread again. But I need to know. Can someone educate me on the "off-set" theory on wheels. What is off set relating to width of the wheel to the size of them.
Hey dude, offset refers to the hub and how it relates to the centerline of the wheel. Picture the wheels on your car. If the hub of the rim is closer to the outer edge of the rim, you have positive offset. If the hub is close to the inner edge of the rim, then you have negative offset. Rims with big lips have a lot of negative offset. Front wheel drive cars us usually have a lot of positive offset to accommodate a transverse drive train/long half shafts.

Or just Click Here
Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM

I have been told that tire rack will offer you the right wheels for your car, but when you go on the site 16, 17 inch wheels have an offset of 35-38mm, do you know where you can find nice set of wheels with the 20-28et. any help will be nice.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:55 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abused View Post
I have been told that tire rack will offer you the right wheels for your car, but when you go on the site 16, 17 inch wheels have an offset of 35-38mm, do you know where you can find nice set of wheels with the 20-28et. any help will be nice.
There's a problem with the TireRack's database. The wheels that come up are 5 lug and the wrong offset.

I got my Rota Slipstreams from 18racing.com.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:57 AM

thanks for the info
Old 08-06-2007, 04:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4, 07 Road King Cla
Thank you for the great info, now my madness to creat idea will materialized. Will post some photo for some opion.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: e30 325i/06 civic si
40 offset would that work 17x7 rims
Old 08-09-2007, 07:12 PM

anyone knows where you can find nice wheels for 1989 325i. Please let me know and what is a good offset