Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:10 PM
In vino veritas

Mein Auto: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBMW View Post
.....one more thing..... Yes, C&D does mention lower level models but they always somehow test (and advertise) the more expensive ones, especially long term. I actually read a number of Euro publications that do not appear to be so enthusiastic about the 135. Many of the same indicate that it will be too expensive and focus more on the 123d.
That's because the Europeans have already been living with the 1 series for years and can see right through the hype: it's really just an econobox largely meant to funnel younger buyers into the BMW fold.

That said, this car makes so much more sense as a hatchback with a diesel engine. In that form, it would make for a great commuter vehicle - practical enough to justify, enjoyable enough that you'll actually want to drive it.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:15 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
There's a quick and easy solution if you find a car unacceptable. Don't buy it! But ragging on other people because they don't share your views on what is an acceptable vehicle is just so egocentric as to be laughable.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 08-03-2007, 03:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
Sweet. M3 V8 in a lightweight M1, supercharge and blow away poseurs in 128i's!
Too bad the words "lightweight" and "1-series" don't go hand in hand. I've been complaining about this since the portly curb weight numbers of the 135i were released!
Old 08-03-2007, 03:38 PM

Mein Auto: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
Power is overrated.

Particularly when the only place I'm going with a hard press of the throttle is into the back of the car in front of me.

Sounds like you need to find some empty back roads, like I have, to let loose- or buy some track time.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:16 PM
In vino veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanblood View Post

Sounds like you need to find some empty back roads, like I have, to let loose- or buy some track time.

I recently moved from Tallahassee, FL, which had some great country back roads nearby to Naples, FL, which is nothing but an enormous traffic-bound grid.

The only consolation is that the best autox venue in the state is now 30 minutes away.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhbhaat View Post
That's because the Europeans have already been living with the 1 series for years and can see right through the hype: it's really just an econobox largely meant to funnel younger buyers into the BMW fold.

That said, this car makes so much more sense as a hatchback with a diesel engine. In that form, it would make for a great commuter vehicle - practical enough to justify, enjoyable enough that you'll actually want to drive it.
Akhbhaat, we get it, you want a 1-series diesel hatchback. But you are too smart to believe the 1-series is an econobox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

"An econobox is a slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel efficient automobiles with few luxuries, usually with a three-door hatchback format and front wheel drive."

As for the 1-series: small - yes, boxy - maybe, fuel efficient - maybe, few luxuries - no, hatchback - no (U.S. version), front wheel drive - no.

So while the 1 does have some econobox traits, I would postulate that in fact it is not an econobox but instead a powerful sub-compact near-luxury vehicle. Come on, you know you want one even if it's only a non-hatchback, non-diesel, 300hp petrol-burning two-door poser.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM
In vino veritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhgetaboutit View Post
Akhbhaat, we get it, you want a 1-series diesel hatchback. But you are too smart to believe the 1-series is an econobox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

"An econobox is a slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel efficient automobiles with few luxuries, usually with a three-door hatchback format and front wheel drive."

As for the 1-series: small - yes, boxy - maybe, fuel efficient - maybe, few luxuries - no, hatchback - no (U.S. version), front wheel drive - no.

So while the 1 does have some econobox traits, I would postulate that in fact it is not an econobox but instead a powerful sub-compact near-luxury vehicle. Come on, you know you want one even if it's only a non-hatchback, non-diesel, 300hp petrol-burning two-door poser.
The 1 series I had was definitely an econobox by today's standards. Steel wheels, crank windows... The only "luxury" it had was a CD player.

It was, however, well assembled (as with any production BMW) and had a solid feel to it, unlike typical Kia-type crap. But honestly, I liked it that way. A straight-to-the-point automobile.

Sure, the 135i will have some nice touches added to it that the basic versions don't have. But don't many people still deride the Civic Si an econobox? Or, dare I say it, the Evo? Glorified, at least. And I wouldn't necessary take a Wikipedia entry at face value - semantically speaking, the meaning of that term itself is debatable. FWIW, I think of (and call) my E46 as a glorified family sedan.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 540iT6, 951
The 1er might not have FWD, but it sure as hell feels like it does. And wears the tyres accordingly.

Your friend at the Nordschleife.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
How, specifically, does the RWD 1er feel like a front wheel drive?

That would be quite a trick.

And how does this show in tire wear?

This post sounds more prejudiced than factual to me.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Waiting for the 135i!

Mein Auto: 550 Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post

Real enthusiasts drive what they want and don't give a damn what others think.

Poseurs waste their time hating on others.
+100
Old 08-05-2007, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerwerfer View Post
The 1er might not have FWD, but it sure as hell feels like it does. And wears the tyres accordingly.
Could be one of two reasons - (1) it's designed to understeer for safety, or (2) you don't know how to drive.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: ...
Perfect econobox!

Honda Fit

Seriously,

I'm buying one in about a year. To replace the general use car not the bimmer.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: E90 328i / 318 Ti / Yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
+100
I think you missed the point, my message is not one of hate, on the contrary..... "Real enthusiasts" should respect other "real enthusiasts" who choose to drive lower-level models and not label them as "posers" for driving something less. This has nothing to do with justifying my - or anyone else's - decision or purchase.

.....I remember reading a number of posts on these forums that indicated all 325/ 328 / 128 drivers are merely posers who just want the badge..... I also noticed none of those posters were labeled as "haters."

Trust me, 128i will not be an appliance and it will be much better and faster than any coupe in the same price range. All things considered (my opinion), 128 and 135 are designed to address different respective niche markets.....135i will be much more expensive than 128 and go provide unbeatable value in the high-performance market segment. 128 will go after the GTI, Si, Scions and such and offer rear wheel drive and better performance than most (if not all) in the category.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGBMW View Post
.....I remember reading a number of posts on these forums that indicated all 325/ 328 / 128 drivers are merely posers who just want the badge..... I also noticed none of those posters were labeled as "haters."
I think very few BFesters think that way, especially the regulars.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:49 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmlav8r View Post
Perfect econobox!

Honda Fit

Seriously,

I'm buying one in about a year. To replace the general use car not the bimmer.
They're neat and good for around town. On the freeway is another story for me.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Protect your (lug) nuts

Mein Auto: '97 BMW 328i
Nobody cares what you buy. Opinions of strangers are about as important to me as that dead squirrel on the road.

-- Henry David Thoreau
Old 08-11-2007, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: 07 328 Famly car edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin T View Post
I understand your point and all but I will never understand people that get a fully loaded 525i (now 528i). It amazes me to see things like active steering ($1400), active cruise ($2,400), and night vision ($2200), among the "normal" options like prem, sport, CA, Nav, etc, placed into "entry level" 5 series. Stickering the car out at $66.5K...amazing and with 230HP and 200TQ in a 3,700 pound car. I'll take a 535i without the "frills" (but still having prem, zsp, cwp, nav, CA, sat, Logic 7) for $60K MSRP, thanks.

Nothing strange about it. You like the performance, they like the gizmos. For the some the xtra power is simply not important.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:54 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by philippek View Post

Real enthusiasts drive what they want and don't give a damn what others think.

Poseurs waste their time hating on others.

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin