Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 08-13-2007, 11:03 AM

Mein Auto: 325I
Alt. light on

I have a 1994 325i 134k mi.
The Alt. light is on and it isn't the alternator. Last week I replaced the starter, way harder than it should be. The car ran great but the alt light was on. So i tested a few things and settled on replacing the alternator. The light is still on!. The engine ground is good. The battery is less than 12 mo old. The battery voltage is 12.3 with the car off and 10.8 with it on. What else should I check?
Ads by Google
Old 08-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Still here

Send a message via MSN to Pirate_copy
Mein Auto: M3
Hey buddy

What do you mean by your alt light? you mean the battery light?

You could try the pedal trick to see if any codes are held, it may work with your car

To run through the 4-digit code data on your car, put the key in the ignition and turn to the 2nd position, where all the cluster lights come on. Within a second, tap the accelerator pedal (fully) 5 times in rapid succession (total time about 3 seconds). The check-engine light will flash once and then turn off. It will then flash a certain number of times, turn off, flash another number of times and then do it twice more. If there are other codes it will then flash these. For example.... "flash... flashflash... flash... flashflashflash" would be a code of 1213 (whatever that is). If your car is telling you certain codes, you can crossreference these codes online and see if they mean anything's wrong. You will need to know the exact year and engine in your car when you search for a code list, as they differ by engine.

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Yes the battery light, the alternator isn't charging. There are no code faults.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Still here

Doh!

Have you checked the belt is tight enough?

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 10:41 AM

Yes the belt is tight and my ECU is very dry.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:45 AM
Still here

funny

Edirty6 for life
Old 08-14-2007, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 318tdse
the battery should read about 14.5 with the engine running

sounds silly but 1st how do you know its not the alternator? and when you replaced it did you put all the wires back on?

just a start so we know
Old 08-15-2007, 12:13 PM

I replaced the alternator with a new one. I assume since both alternators (the original and new one) weren't generating current it's not the alternator. Yes, both wires are on and tight. Are there any other components involved? Relays ect.